What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

High Protein Daytime Foods

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Some ideas for the forum:

Kangaroo Rissoles: I only ever use roo mince, avoiding beef and lamb varieties as I never know what additives are in them. A 100g roo rissole in the lunchbox for a snack adds about 20 grams of protein for your day, with very little fat. I bind my rissoles with an egg and breadcrumbs, and add diced onion and capsicum for flavour. A touch of Worcestershire Sauce is always good for taste.

Zucchini Slice: Six or seven whipped eggs and three quarters of a cup of pastry mix, added in with finely diced Zucchini and other veggies (if you have an electric dicer it makes it very easy), bake for about forty minutes at 180C. Choose your own herbs and spices for this one. The benefit of this is the vegies aren't too overcooked so their nutrient value remains. Remember to grease you baking dish as getting the slices out can be a bugger.

Tuna Curry: Use paste with tinned tomatoes instead of coconut cream. Tinned tomatoes are cheap and the nutrient value is still present, and way less fat. I use a slow cooker and you can determine how much you want to cook your vegies. Amounts are personal too, I personally would use about ten cups of mixed vegies, one large tin of tuna, two tins of tomatoes and half a jar of curry paste. All mixed with whatever quantity of brown rice or sweet potatoes.

Any more ideas welcome.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
I like that one, and a touch of added vegies sounds nice. You could add some shredded sweet potato to make like a hash cake.

I might add that the tuna curry is for freezing and for use over successive days. One wouldn't want to eat that much in one hit of course.

Cliffhanger

Coach
I used to just eat tuna in spring water but I can't stomach it any more. Used to eat 150 grams a day which is over 30 grams of protein, but now I feel like I'm eating cat food when I eat it and it makes me sick.

Cliffhanger

Coach
Peanut butter about 7 grams of of protein in a 25 gram serving, obviously it's also high in fat and you don't want to eat too much. But a tablespoon of peanut butter a day provides you essential fats and a protein boost.

While I don't like to plug protein bars, Bounce Premium protein balls are as good as they get, have them every now and then after a climb session. They don't have a terrible after taste, and contain none of those crappy sweeteners like malitol, or glycerol. 15 grams of protein, 20 grams of carbs.

woodyk2

First Grade
Dont really like Kangaroo but i remember in my old boxing days having a big skippy steak. The next afternoon i had boundless energy...4.30pm onwards. I just felt great at training. Did the same thing about a month later and got the same result.If i liked the texture and taste i would definately eat it more often.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Horse would be excellent, no doubt, and if it was sold commercially I would be buying it. I've no aversion to that meat and look forward to the day I can try it.

Very popular in Italy I believe.

Frailty

First Grade
I love my Kangaroo - high in protein, lean, and high in Iron.
Turkey is also great.

I love Tuna though, but I try to find other ways to eat it rather than straight from the can.

Johns Magic

Referee
Serious question about tofu.

It apparently is full of protein, but I have heard:

1) It is not the type of protein that the body absorbs well

2) It increases estrogen levels and decreases testosterone levels

I bought and had some today for the first time outside of a Chinese restaurant, because quite frankly I'm looking for more ways to mix up the types of food in my diet, which is protein-oriented.

Obviously, these possibilities would be concerns. However there's a lot of contradictory information out there on the world-wide-web.

I would be able to look past the very, very average taste if it were worth it nutritionally(I've always been good at that). But if it's not, and it's possibly even detrimental, obviously I would not bother with it.

Does anyone here have any knowledge of tofu's muscle-building properties that they consider credible?

Desert Qlder

First Grade
I would be able to look past the very, very average taste if it were worth it nutritionally(I've always been good at that).

lol It's a skill I've learnt as well. In fact I've developed a rather strange addiction to cottage cheese, when at first I thought it was rather ordinary.

And Broccoli being the ultimate vegetable, I had to force myself to like it, and it's now apart of most dishes I make.

Unfortunately I can't help you with tofu. The way I see it, there are far nicer ways to get high levels of protein in your diet.

Johns Magic

Referee
I actually love cottage cheese these days...I have cottage cheese with chopped almonds in it when I feel like something tasty and filling.

The only thing I've had that I find difficult to tolerate are sardines straight from the can...they're alright when cooked on a pan with a bit of lemon and pepper though.

Tofu is just something I tried at work today because it's cheap, possibly highly nutritious and lean, and requires zero preparation. I'm also keen just to find something else to add to the mix.

Gotta admit, I was keener on the idea before I had some today though.

Cliffhanger

Coach
Honestly I wouldn't recommend tofu as a source of protein unless you don't eat meat or are a woman, animal products give you a much higher quality protein.

For females some tofu a couple of time is good but for a dude I just don't recommend it.

I would recommend tuna in spring water, or even get the low fat flavoured ones as these have very little added salt and sugar. They're like $1 a can when they're discounted or 89 cents from aldi.

Johns Magic

Referee
Honestly I wouldn't recommend tofu as a source of protein unless you don't eat meat or are a woman, animal products give you a much higher quality protein.

For females some tofu a couple of time is good but for a dude I just don't recommend it.

I would recommend tuna in spring water, or even get the low fat flavoured ones as these have very little added salt and sugar. They're like $1 a can when they're discounted or 89 cents from aldi.

The problem with tuna is the mercury levels. I try to restrict it to 6 cans a week.

Thanks for the tofu info though, I'll probably steer clear of it from here on.

Cliffhanger

Coach
I wouldn't worry about the mercury levels in canned tuna. You should only really beware of the mercury levels in larger fish as they swallow the most of the oceans heavy metals, and while some species of tuna is large the ones used for canned tuna are the smaller ones.