What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

High Protein Daytime Foods

Cliffhanger

Coach
True, there is always some mercury, most farmed fish isn't even completely mercury free, but it's such a small amount that even pregnant women can eat it.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Cottage cheese is more versatile than you think.

You can mix it with a small amount of french onion soup mix which makes a tasty dip.

Throw in some pineapple chunks for a sweet snack

Spread it on a slice of wholemeal toast with cracked pepper

You can even mix it into pasta sauces too

Johns Magic

Referee
On the mercury in tuna thing, I'd just prefer to err on the side of caution.

I've heard enough people whose advice I respect, and read enough articles(including this one: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/had_tuna_meltdown_rQBVzvEAy7XP7gxIxqul2J) that I'd like to not be overly reliant on it. There are plenty of other protein sources out there.

I used to eat 14 cans a week(2 every day) a couple of years ago when I was seriously hitting the gym, and I was fine...I don't have some weird phobia about it.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Funnily enough, my favourite is cottage cheese and tuna on wafer crackers.

The mercury levels of tuna is a highly overstated concern. It really is only a potential problem for expectant mothers. That's my take on it anyway. I love the taste and eat lots of the stuff, so it will take more than that for me to stop eating tuna.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
There's always canned salmon as well, makes a nice change when you're a bit over tuna. I have mates who regularly eat canned chicken as well as tuna substitute, haven't tried it though.

Also beef jerky/biltong is awesome, high in protein, bugger all carbs and fat. Salty, but if you eat a mainly wholefoods diet like you should thats not really an issue.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Jerky's lovely. In my Alice days I used to munch on Camel Jerky, locally produced.

It hardly fills you up though and is obscenely expensive, but it is a nice treat.

Cliffhanger

Coach
Does anybody know how much seafood you can eat in a week if you don't eat meat? I've tried looking it up, it says three times a week, I assume this is for normal people who eat meat. I'm find it really hard to make up my protein lately.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Does anybody know how much seafood you can eat in a week if you don't eat meat? I've tried looking it up, it says three times a week, I assume this is for normal people who eat meat. I'm find it really hard to make up my protein lately.

Why would there be a limit? AFAIK you can eat seafood every day if you want, though it's recommended to limit the consumption of certain types of fish (mainly tuna) to a certain level to prevent ingesting too much mercury.