What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hilder, De Gois work on defensive lapses

Serc

First Grade
Hilder, De Gois work on defensive lapses
BY ROBERT DILLON
05 May, 2010 04:00 AM

THEY were Newcastle's leading defenders last year. Workhorses who did not miss a game and made almost 1800 tackles between them.
But as the Knights strive to stem the flood of points they have been leaking this season, the form of tackling machines Matt Hilder and Isaac De Gois has attracted scrutiny.
According to NRL Stats, De Gois has missed 16 tackles in his past two games: nine in last week's win against Brisbane and seven the week before against Cronulla.
Hilder has missed 20 tackles in his past four games: six against Brisbane, four against Cronulla, four against South Sydney and six against Penrith.
It is out of character for both players, who got through a mountain of toil last season and were tireless for the Knights around the middle of the rucks.
Hilder was Newcastle's top defender in 2009 with 960 tackles in 25 games. De Gois was closest to him with 816 in as many appearances.
In one game, against the Warriors in Auckland, Hilder produced a Herculean 71 tackles and De Gois made 64.
Knights coach Rick Stone admitted yesterday that his most tenacious terriers had been below their best and would be searching for improvement in Sunday's showdown with Gold Coast at EnergyAustralia Stadium.
"Isaac and Matty Hilder probably missed a few more tackles [against Brisbane] than they usually do, and that's something we'll address with the boys today," Stone said.
"Technically there's a couple of little things that both of them need to work on in the short term and we'll probably get that done tomorrow and maybe later in the week.
"Energy-wise, Matty Hilder was probably struggling a little bit because he had a stomach bug and was down on energy for the day.
"Isaac doesn't have too many excuses. He just needs to be a bit more committed and technically sound, and I think we'll get him back on track pretty quick."
De Gois produced his best running game of the season against Brisbane, making 93 metres from 12 darts, but Stone said the 25-year-old would be disappointed with his defensive lapses.
"He sets high standards, Isaac, and we'll have a look at that today and sort a few things out with him," Stone said. "He probably has been a bit untidy and, uncharacteristically, Matty Hilder has been similar.
"They were two of our better defenders last year, and we need to get them back on track as quick as possible."
De Gois, who was Newcastle's player of the year last season and fitted snugly into the role he inherited from Danny Buderus, was confident he would bounce back strongly on Sunday.
"Obviously no one likes to miss tackles, so that's something I've got to work on," De Gois said.
The former Cronulla rake underwent a knee reconstruction last season but denied it had been affecting his performances.
"I'm not thinking about it or anything like that, which is good," he said. "It's coming along all right. It pulls up a bit sore after games, which is normal, but other than that I can't complain."
Hilder has been carrying injuries since the season opener but has still managed to make more tackles, 207, than any Newcastle player.
"It's hindered him a little bit," Stone said.
"He's been taking needles for a fracture to the wrist and he's got a bit of a shoulder problem . . . but we'll reassess him during the week and make sure that if he is going to play, he's 100 per cent fit."
Hilder said he had "a few little niggles" but they "aren't really worrying me in the games too much".
"My wrist's getting better and hopefully this week I'll be able to play without a needle in it," he said.
"My AC's giving me a bit of grief at the moment so I might go and see if I can get a cortisone injection in it when we have the bye or something.
"If it's starting to worry me or affect me that way, I'll put my hand up and ask for a bit of time off . . . for me to be effective, I've got to be close to 100 per cent fit." Newcastle have conceded 200 points in their eight games this year. Only Cronulla (202), North Queensland (218) and Brisbane (235) have worse defensive records.

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...de-gois-work-on-defensive-lapses/1820645.aspx

Chief

Juniors
No doubt while Hilder and De Gois are working on their defensive lapses Super Coach Stone will be working on his coaching lapses.

Whats Doing

Bench
The worst defender of all from both a technique and positional sense is Sau which has been abysmal this year with 6 missed tackles last week.

Chief

Juniors
So what has changed between this year and last? The only answer I can come up with is the coaching staff.

perverse

Referee
So what has changed between this year and last? The only answer I can come up with is the coaching staff.
the player squad was abandoned by the coach that lured them to newcastle, the coach they believed in. they were also rocked by 1 of their best mates, and an overweight aquaintance getting accused of major drug supply charges... with the news that more finger pointing may be done by the end of the saga. as a result of this, the squad is 2 players down, 1 being a natural leader and someone all of the boys looked up to. it's hard to imagine a few of the boys arn't sweating bullets over what revelations may or may not be revealed in wicksys court case.

i'd say a fair bit has changed since we last saw our team consistantly winning games.

sneaky_is_here

Juniors

2 players been sacked, diffrent injuries to diffrent players (including one key player for the first 6 games), But NO, you are right... changing of coach's right now would so the trick, Hilder and Ike will miss no more tackles. WELL DONE you f***in genius.

Chief

Juniors
the player squad was abandoned by the coach that lured them to newcastle, the coach they believed in.

That is some pretty emotive language. Tell me how did you come to the conclusion Brian Smith "abandoned" the players?

It is on record Brian Smith wanted to stay but the board and executive wouldn't give him a contract. In fact they encouraged him to look elsewhere.

I don't see how you can argue anything but the club abandoned Brian Smith. Brian Smith didn't let down the players. The board and executive did.

Here is another question. Suppose Brian Smith was still coach. Do you believe the Knights would be in the same predicament they now find themselves? I don't. Not for a second.

Chief

Juniors
brilliant analysis
talk about having the blinders on

Perhaps I do.

I don't put much value in the Houston/Wicks argument. Due to players returning from injury we arguably have a much stronger playing roster than last year. So again what has changed? Why has the club gone backwards? And the only answer I can come up with is the coaching staff.

Answer me this. Do you believe if Brian Smith was still coach would the Knights find themselves in their current predicament?

Yosh

Coach
Come on guys he is new leave him be, stop picking on him.

Anyways. I mean De Gois isn't the biggest guy in the world (smaller than Buderus isnt he?) and he runs head on into most of his tackles, same with Hilder. Its not like they missing easy ones they just go in for every tackle they can find.

perverse

Referee
That is some pretty emotive language. Tell me how did you come to the conclusion Brian Smith "abandoned" the players?

It is on record Brian Smith wanted to stay but the board and executive wouldn't give him a contract. In fact they encouraged him to look elsewhere.

I don't see how you can argue anything but the club abandoned Brian Smith. Brian Smith didn't let down the players. The board and executive did.

Here is another question. Suppose Brian Smith was still coach. Do you believe the Knights would be in the same predicament they now find themselves? I don't. Not for a second.
the club certainly did abandon brian, you're right about that... but to the players i'm not sure it matters. a bit of tomayto, tomahto.. really. the big problem i had with smith leaving was the way it was handled (something we discussed at length on the forums when the event actually took place). i don't hold a grudge against smith for leaving, more for the way he left. once again, though, it's something that was largely out of his control.

all of that is largely irrelevant, though... because the effect on the players would be the same thing. these blokes signed up contracts and came to the club expecting smith to be their coach, and i'm sure they believed in his vision for the future of the team... and for whatever reason that was taken away from them, and they had to reboot. it was sudden and unexpected by everyone except the roosters board and smith.

oh, and we did offer smithy another contract... but it was only a 1 or 2 year extension. the board didn't seem to have the balls to commit to him long term. we certainly didn't tell him to look elsewhere.

do i think we'd still be in the same predicament? possibly. i don't think any of this would be consciously affecting the players anymore... it's just more of a snowball effect on morale, really. i think our deficiencies in defence are one of the big alarm bells that all is not right in the players minds at the moment. defence is something like 10% technique (which, lets be honest... at this level of football they've all got their techniques well and truly committed to muscle memory now)... 10% communication and 80% commitment and effort. i may be embelishing a little with those figures, but the idea is the same whatever the ratio... i think our commitment and effort in defence is the main element that is lacking. that's not a technical, or a coaching problem... that's a player problem.

Last edited:

sneaky_is_here

Juniors
Perhaps I do.

I don't put much value in the Houston/Wicks argument. Due to players returning from injury we arguably have a much stronger playing roster than last year. So again what has changed? Why has the club gone backwards? And the only answer I can come up with is the coaching staff.

Answer me this. Do you believe if Brian Smith was still coach would the Knights find themselves in their current predicament?

Really? We lose 2 forwards up front, one arguably representative quality at the start of the season who stone would have been coaching with the intension of them been there and we gain Tuimavave. On song as always chief.

Why don't you see if we make the 8 this year before deciding we have actually gone backwards?

Last edited:

whistler

Juniors
Really? We lose 2 forwards up front, one arguably representative quality at the start of the season who stone would have been coaching with the intension of them been there and we gain Tuimavave. On song as always chief.

Why don't you see if we make the 8 this year before deciding we have actually gone backwards?

I think he might be talking about not only the addition of Tuimavave but also Cross and Paterson,who between them played 8-9 games last year. I think these 3 guys more than make up for the loss of Houston and Wicks, and it could be argued that we do have a stronger team this year than last.

Chief

Juniors
I think he might be talking about not only the addition of Tuimavave but also Cross and Paterson,who between them played 8-9 games last year. I think these 3 guys more than make up for the loss of Houston and Wicks, and it could be argued that we do have a stronger team this year than last.

Exactly.

perverse

Referee
in skill, yes... but in leadership? i don't think houstons void has been filled at all. additionally - you can't just "replace" friends and teammates in someones life like that. human beings aren't just an instantly transferable commodity... as much as we like to treat them that way from time to time. if they had left the club on good terms for better money, then everything probably would be fine in regards to the players we've swapped them for... but it's the circumstance under which they parted ways that really hurts...

that doesn't even begin to erase the potential question marks about who's name is still likely to appear in the paper next to wicks' mugshot. it has been alluded to by the police and the media that more names are to come, be they accomplices or customers.

i know it's convenient and simple to put your head in the sand and pretend these issues don't exist... and that a new coach would be an instant solution to all of our problems. fact is that we don't know if it will change a damn thing at all, and unless we're 100% positive that removing our current coach and installing a new one would help matters, then it would be ridiculous to consider it.

sneaky_is_here

Juniors

From the other thread..

We barley made the 8 last year under SMITH... no major changes to our roster since then, what were you honestly expecting this season? Cos as i have said before i wasn't expecting much. Our roster simply isn't as good as the top sides. And at this point i don't see that as stone's fault.

So common sense prevails.. Stone get this season to build the side he wants. Point in all of this still stands it's to early to be calling for the axe.

Serc

First Grade
i know it's convenient and simple to put your head in the sand and pretend these issues don't exist... and that a new coach would be an instant solution to all of our problems. fact is that we don't know if it will change a damn thing at all, and unless we're 100% positive that removing our current coach and installing a new one would help matters, then it would be ridiculous to consider it.

Another great post, good summary.

Latest posts