What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hindmarsh - 10,000 Tackles!

eels_fan

First Grade
Parramatta captain Nathan Hindmarsh set to complete 10,000 Tackles

NEARLY 9000 men have worn a first-grade jersey since rugby league kicked off more than a century ago.

But only one man has made enough tackles to collar them all - and then some.

In an amazing testament to his physical endurance, Parramatta warhorse Nathan Hindmarsh is set to become the first player in the code's history to complete 10,000 career tackles.

The tireless Eels skipper needs to topple just 16 Rabbitohs on Friday night to reach the unprecedented milestone.

Another typically robust defensive effort of 54 tackles last weekend brought Hindmarsh's tally to 9984 - comfortably in excess of the 8979 players who've made grade since 1908. It's also five times the population of his Southern Highlands home town, Robertson.

And when the average G-force of each tackle is combined, it's the equivalent of being shot by three separate bullets from a handgun.

Hindmarsh however simply shrugged off the feat as a consequence of his "job for the footy team".

"I had no idea ... no idea whatsoever," he said.

"I didn't even know they kept these sorts of records for so long. But to me it doesn't mean anything - it's not about the milestones, it's just part of my job for the footy team. Plus I don't think I've ever hurt anyone.

"The boys are going to give me crap and say that of the 10,000 tackles I've made, 9000 have been flops."

Sports scientists who have marvelled at Hindmarsh's unique physical qualities say otherwise. Associate professor of sport and exercise science at UTS, Dr Aaron Coutte, tested Hindmarsh a few seasons ago and was gobsmacked by the forward's anaerobic capacity.

In a 30-minute treadmill drill designed to replicate the most exacting period of a game, Hindmarsh pushed through lactate levels five times higher than the average athlete usually fatigues at.

Dr Coutte had worked with English Premier League and AFL powerhouses, but until then had never seen a footballer with such endurance.

And he hasn't since.

"There's something genetic that makes Hindy able to produce a lot of lactate, but also transfer it from his muscles to his blood," Dr Coutte said. "I've never seen anything like it."

Hindmarsh still remembers that day in the UTS gym, but believes that tackling is more about attitude than academics.

"I just go out there and do what I can for as long as I can," he said.

Fox Sports Stats show the 31-year-old's workload has soared in the second half of his career, from fewer than 29 tackles a game to over 40.

*http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...te-10000-tackles/story-e6frexnr-1226026371046

TheParraboy

Staff member
I will cry buckets when Hindy plays his last game for Parra

I dont know what else to say

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Shame he'll probably go out without a GF win, easily my most favorite Eel of all time. Out of those 10,000 how many saved try's?

natheel

Coach
Hindy is a true parra legend Boone else in this game deserves this than he does. This is a true testament to the type of no nonsense player he actually he. Tireless defender and glad he is going to be an eel for life!

Brenno75

Juniors
Wow, what a legend, I have always tried to figure out how many tackles he's made. It certainly will be a sad sad day when he hangs up his boots :(