What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hindmarsh for Origin?

And Creagh and Waterhouse offer so, so much. What a load of crap. He does not offer much as a running back rower but makes a ton of hit-ups, plus offloads and ball-plays. Anyway, Gallen, Watmough and Lewis offer plenty in attack.

Hindmarsh hardly offloads and ballplays on a regular basis.

Avenger

Immortal
Ever since Hindmarsh was dropped from Origin, NSW have not won a series. If he was a QLDer he would be playing his 30th origin in 2 weeks. The selectors are a joke.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
And Creagh and Waterhouse offer so, so much. What a load of crap. He does not offer much as a running back rower but makes a ton of hit-ups, plus offloads and ball-plays. Anyway, Gallen, Watmough and Lewis offer plenty in attack.

Point out to me where I said Creagh and Waterhouse offer much? Go on.

Sit here and tell me with a straight face that NSW's problem is defensively. It is not.

Hindmarsh is not the answer, though I do agree he shouldn't have been dropped in the first place those few years ago.

Lewis, Gallen and Watmough would be my backrow, FTR.

Dazzat

First Grade
Ever since Hindmarsh was dropped from Origin, NSW have not won a series. If he was a QLDer he would be playing his 30th origin in 2 weeks. The selectors are a joke.

Totally agree ... if Kimmorley is being played halfback, then how is Hindmarsh 'past it'.

As a Queenslander, I'm loving Waterhouse and Creagh in the NSW team. Take away a premiership ring, and I don't understand how Waterhouse gets into the team. He does not fit into the mould of "Origin player" at all.

Springs

First Grade

Sit here and tell me with a straight face that NSW's problem is defensively. It is not.

Hindmarsh is not the answer, though I do agree he shouldn't have been dropped in the first place those few years ago.

NSW's problem is defence.

But of course that isn't the whole problem. We have attack issues, combination issues, but most of all, spirit and self-belief issues, which I think players like Hindmarsh and Gallen would bring to a side.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Uh, we need to win now. In the future QLD are still going to have Inglis, Slater, Smith, Thurston etc for many years, picking rookies that can't win does not help, as game 1 last year proved.

And I don't think picking Lockyer over Cronk is looking towards the future, but QLD want to win this series, so they pick the best team, unlike us who must just want to win in 5 years time...

Lockyer is their captain. He is THE leader of their leadership group. He is playing well enough and still delivers on the field as game one proved.

Hindmarsh should of been captain last year and should of been in the team the year before. If he had of been there the last 2 years, he could walk into the team tomorrow and KNOW that he is the leader of these players. But the NSW team is dramiatically different now, its not the same as when he was there.

The selectors have chosen our path, not sure who exactly they have identified as our leaders other then Gidley :)roll:) but this is where we are. We STILL have not picked a core group of players to take us forward, and the one player that has been chosen is sub standard. Its stupid.

Hayne, Lewis, Gallen, and possibly Pearce and Mannah, they should be the basis of our leadership group. Right now, we have Kurt "im captain but not sure what position" Gidley.

And to be honest, I would have no problem with Luke Lewis being captain, and starting lock. No reason he cant perform like Hindmarsh.

typicalfan

Coach

Both areas are a problem. You need good defenders to keep the attack minded players fresh for longer especially on the heavy track we had in the first place.

While Hindmarsh is in the top 3 backrowers for NSW (which he is) then he deserves his spot. Guys like Michael Weyman, Luke Lewis and Anthony Watmough shouldn't have to make 25-30 tackles a game in origin, it isn't why they are picked we need guys like Hindmarsh and Gallen that are tough and will go the distance.

typicalfan

Coach
Lockyer is their captain. He is THE leader of their leadership group. He is playing well enough and still delivers on the field as game one proved.

Hindmarsh should of been captain last year and should of been in the team the year before. If he had of been there the last 2 years, he could walk into the team tomorrow and KNOW that he is the leader of these players. But the NSW team is dramiatically different now, its not the same as when he was there.

The selectors have chosen our path, not sure who exactly they have identified as our leaders other then Gidley :)roll:) but this is where we are. We STILL have not picked a core group of players to take us forward, and the one player that has been chosen is sub standard. Its stupid.

Hayne, Lewis, Gallen, and possibly Pearce and Mannah, they should be the basis of our leadership group. Right now, we have Kurt "im captain but not sure what position" Gidley.

And to be honest, I would have no problem with Luke Lewis being captain, and starting lock. No reason he cant perform like Hindmarsh.
Agree 100% and with Nathan Hindmarsh coming toward the back end of his career Luke Lewis would have had a very good captain to take the reins from and the move would be swift and painless, now Luke Lewis or whoever they go with if made captain in future series will have to contend with turning around 5 wasted series, the last two series in particular have been a dogs breakfast as far as selections go.

muznik

Juniors
hindmarsh gallen and watmough should be the backrowers

Its funny most people can see it bar the selectors & the damn coach.

The same idiots that think Gidley not only deserves to be in the team but fullback ahead of Hayne! :crazy:

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
The biggest problem with our selectors is they have not backed any of the team. The attitude of "select the ones in form" just does not work.

We wonder why we are short on options for captain, it would be a hell of alot easier if we never dropped the likes of Hindmarsh, backed Lewis and told him the team is his in the future, told Pearce that all he needs to to is prove himself. Instead they have this attitude, nup you didnt do great this game, bye bye.

We have a chance now to build a really exciting and promising team for the future on the back of players like Hayne, Lewis, Watmough, Gallen, Pearce, Ennis, and we can add to that with promising youngsters like Mannah, Dugan, TLL, etc etc.

Right now all we need is 2 or three old heads like Kimmorley, Barrett, Cooper, Tahu, Hindmarsh, Bailey, Ryles, Ryan, etc etc. 2 or 3 of them for this year and maybe next year and we have the basis to rebuild.

The selectors absolutly lost it after the 06 series and Gasnier at 5/8 was the first mistake.

Boganater

Juniors
I wouldn't have a problem with Hindmarsh but I think he's carrying a rib injury isn't he? You can't take that into Origin. I'd go for Mark Minichiello he wouldn't let you down.

abpanther

Staff member
I don't think you can play both HIndmarsh and Gallen, IMO there should only be one backrow spot for an 80min toiler, a guy who will get through a tremendous workrate and be a rock in defense, but no add much in attack. Hindmarsh and Gallen are those kind of backrowers, if we have them both in the side it gives us very little in attack IMO

Nah, they're different.

Gallen will make 120m+ a game off 13 runs and threaten the line, however his defence could be lacking. He's basically another prop.

Hindmarsh will make 120+ runs for 20m and will make about 6000 tackles without a miss.

Whilst they're both workhorses, they're roles differ.

gronkathon

First Grade
Would piuck Heighington over Hindmarsh to be honest.

Very similar defensive workrate but I just think looking to the future C.H would be a great move. Will never happen though. Cue Daley talking up why he selects Dean Young for Origin 2

Springs

First Grade
I don't think you can play both HIndmarsh and Gallen, IMO there should only be one backrow spot for an 80min toiler, a guy who will get through a tremendous workrate and be a rock in defense, but no add much in attack. Hindmarsh and Gallen are those kind of backrowers, if we have them both in the side it gives us very little in attack IMO

Aye, backs are for nothing right??

And just discount the offloads as well, both are in the top 5, and also discount the fact that Gallen is top of metres gained, means nothin ay?