What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hindmarsh for Origin?

fourplay

Juniors
Hindmarsh has one of the best offloads in the game. He should be first picked and captain.

BWNB

First Grade
So in the 60th minute of the game, the Storm make an enormous break downfield, ball ends up 1m out from the goal line, and who has chased 80m to scoop up the loose ball?

Hindmarsh.

There isn't a better cover defender in the game - and his defensive work is exactly what NSW needs so badly!
Sure he isn't the best ball-runner anymore, but put Gallen and Watmough around him in the backrow, and the Blues are well served in that department.

Remember his cover defence earlier this year?
Fergo made a break down the wing and tossed him over the sideline like a little bitch :lol:

eels_fan

First Grade
it was also pouring rain, and he was off balance completely

in the same senario 100 times over Hindmarsh would smash Ferguson like the bitch he is

abpanther

Staff member
Aye, backs are for nothing right??

And just discount the offloads as well, both are in the top 5, and also discount the fact that Gallen is top of metres gained, means nothin ay?

Backs are obviously there to provide plenty in attack, but in case you haven't watched any footy in the past 5 years, backrowers are being used more and more as attacking weapons on the fringes of the ruck, neither Gallen nor Hindmarsh provide that spark.

Yeah statistically they may be high in offloads, but when I watch them play neither of them threaten to break the line, nor do they have much pace out wide to threaten the line, JMO, but I think having both of them is overkill.

Metres gained is great, I rate Gallen highly (apart from his stupid penalties), but metres gained doesn't really translate to impact in attack, moreso his tremendous workrate

Springs

First Grade
Remember his cover defence earlier this year?
Fergo made a break down the wing and tossed him over the sideline like a little bitch :lol:

Pfft. Point is any other back rower would be fifty metres behind, watching.

Springs

First Grade
Backs are obviously there to provide plenty in attack, but in case you haven't watched any footy in the past 5 years, backrowers are being used more and more as attacking weapons on the fringes of the ruck, neither Gallen nor Hindmarsh provide that spark.

Yeah statistically they may be high in offloads, but when I watch them play neither of them threaten to break the line, nor do they have much pace out wide to threaten the line, JMO, but I think having both of them is overkill.

Metres gained is great, I rate Gallen highly (apart from his stupid penalties), but metres gained doesn't really translate to impact in attack, moreso his tremendous workrate

If you watch Queensland play, you will notice that Myles and Harrison do not provide that spark either, what they do is lay a billiant platform for the classy backs to work off, which they do. Johnson did not provide any attacking spark either, but did what backrowers are meant to do, work hard in both attack and defence. Johnson was knocked out a few years ago and came back onto the field, I cannot see Waterhouse, Watmough or Creagh do that, especially Creagh, but I can see both Hindmarsh and Gallen doing it. The fact that Hindmarsh chased 80 metres and was there to dive on the ball when Melbourne had a scoring opportunity shows that he should be in Origin, we need backrowers like that, not backrowers that stand out next to the centres and wait for the ball.

If we pick the right halves and backline then we should not have to relyon backrowers to attack, although Hindmarsh and Gallen would still back-up, offload and pass before the line.

Hindyscrack

Bench
Should be starting... We've lacked a tight defensive back rower in the past few years, Creagh should come of the bench and attack once the packs are slower.

The defensive starch NSW in order to allow their wide running back rowers do their jobs. Pity Watmough isnt there, could have benefited from the fresher body.

joseph1

Juniors
And hes gone again. I just dont understand. What more does he have to do? He could have been and still be captain for years in the number 11. His form is good. Most importantly, the fans and players love him and would get in behind a hindy-lead blues, there mightve been thousands more bums on seats if he was our leader for this dead rubber. Why do they keep dropping him, he and Gallen were our two best forwards in game 2..

Dazzat

First Grade
Hindmarsh's selection for Game Two and then non-selection for Game Three makes absolutely no sense at all. It is bordering on lunacy ... no wait ... it is lunacy.

If their treatment of Hindmarsh is an indicator of how they treat players ... well no wonder we're staring down six-peat next year.

Springs

First Grade
He and Gallen were our two best players in game 2.
140 metres, 17 runs, 51 tackles in a losing side last week. What else do the selectors want? Oh, they want the tons of drop balls from Bird, or the utter uselessness of Gidley.
Barrett, who has played 10 Origins, done nothing plus leading a losing side for the last two years, in both club and Origin, somehow deserves the captaincy. But Hindmarsh who has played 17 origins and is in great form, gets to remember his last origin as a 34-6 flogging.

oldmancraigy

Coach
He and Gallen were our two best players in game 2.
140 metres, 17 runs, 51 tackles in a losing side last week. What else do the selectors want? Oh, they want the tons of drop balls from Bird, or the utter uselessness of Gidley.
Barrett, who has played 10 Origins, done nothing plus leading a losing side for the last two years, in both club and Origin, somehow deserves the captaincy. But Hindmarsh who has played 17 origins and is in great form, gets to remember his last origin as a 34-6 flogging.

I think Hindmarsh had a couple of ordinary Origin games early on where he tackled a lot but didn't present himself as a ball runner (back in the days when he was the human wrecking ball and actually ran the footy with venom).
But his last few games have been pretty good - and I thought game 2 was his most powerful defensive effort ever. He didn't just tackle, but he put a whole lot of grunt into what he did. AND he made his classic cover tackle to save a try....

Bird, Lewis and Gallen all want the ball in their hands 30-35 times a game. Would've been better to put Bird at 5/8 and retain Hindmarsh as a defensive workhorse/ cover defender. There isn't a better one in the game...

typicalfan

Coach
Not only that but Hindmarsh played one of his best club games in a long long time on the weekend. Unfortunately there is a myth that he doesn't get involved in the thick of tackles and merely flops which is absolute rubbish.

Springs

First Grade
At least Bird would be there next year, instead of useless Barrett. Lewis or Bird off the bench for Gidley would also be better. I would also bring Heighington in possibly Bird to five-eighth. But a pack of Hindmarsh, Gallen, Lewis, Watmough would be brilliant moving into next year, along with Mannah, Leoroyd-Lahrs, Snowden, Heighington and another prop that isn't King or White.

And if I remember Hindmarsh's early Origins were off the bench, but I also remember Hindmarsh's performances in 04-06 in Origin, brilliant. Until Murray came along and took him off for half the game.

typicalfan

Coach
Don't get too excited they didn't even stick with him for more than a game when he was our second best forward.