What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hindmarsh: Tim Smith

Bigfella

Coach
Agree hellsy, that would be suicide.

The guy goes uner the radar a lot, but since Minicello's injury is just about the best direct kick returner in the game. As good as most, anyway.

He has set up plenty of tries from kick returns.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I would imagine they'd be aiming at El Masri who is no where near as penetrating on th kick returns

The Colonel said:
One word that people have seemingly missed in it all is AMONGST. No talk of him being THE most feared or THE best. AMONGST THE best is a different kettle altogether.

Timmy is getting back to some form that won him the rookie of the year title. He still needs to gain some support but the things most people had been critical of are slowly being polished. His running game on Friday night was one thing that many had been critical of and it, IMO, was more than decent.

Only thing I can find to be critical of was that he should have held the ball instead of passing to Jarryd.... he could have almost fell over the line. Needs to be a little more selfish.
you can see he is improving week to week i noticed one time he kicked out on the full and the next week in much the same situation the kick went just inside the sideline and rolled into touch

caylo

Bench
The EELiminator said:
you can see he is improving week to week i noticed one time he kicked out on the full and the next week in much the same situation the kick went just inside the sideline and rolled into touch

this is were i stick up for him, kicking the ball out on the full is actually quiet likley, and happends, all it reqires is to kick while the slightest off balance. From then on, it can ruin somone confidence and they think about kicking to much. Timmys long kicking game can be good, we have all seen it, it just hasn't been evident yet, i hope he pulls it out soon. Also i would believe timmy is the best manipulator of the ball, id say has the best passing and kicking game of all the halfback in the comp. All he needs in the vision and desition making to match it, which he is imporving in.

Freak2

Juniors
Hindmarsh has picked his moment well. IMO Tim played his best game in the blue and gold against Penrith. (And still left room for improvement)

That was the Tim Smith we have all been dying to see. Now we just need consistancy, and a 40-20!!:p

Even the toughest of Smithy critics need to accept his game on Friday was top shelf!

Stagger eel

Staff member
Freak2 said:
Hindmarsh has picked his moment well. IMO Tim played his best game in the blue and gold against Penrith. (And still left room for improvement)

That was the Tim Smith we have all been dying to see. Now we just need consistancy, and a 40-20!!:p

Even the toughest of Smithy critics need to accept his game on Friday was top shelf!

well the toughest of them all started a thread to praise him straight after...;-) kudos to him.

The Colonel said:
One word that people have seemingly missed in it all is AMONGST. No talk of him being THE most feared or THE best. AMONGST THE best is a different kettle altogether.

Timmy is getting back to some form that won him the rookie of the year title. He still needs to gain some support but the things most people had been critical of are slowly being polished. His running game on Friday night was one thing that many had been critical of and it, IMO, was more than decent.

Only thing I can find to be critical of was that he should have held the ball instead of passing to Jarryd.... he could have almost fell over the line. Needs to be a little more selfish.

The thing about that Play, Watching it at the ground, you could see it coming Tim Started his run-up so far back. Yet he still got through.

Bigfella

Coach
elegraphed or not MITS, that play and a few others showed the benefit of playing with depth, at least occasionally.

Also Tahu's break from Tim's pass to set up the long-range try was an example of some of our better attacking players having more time and space to show there true wares.

That was one of the more encouraging signs from Friday's game IMO

Suitman

Post Whore
Bigfella said:
elegraphed or not MITS, that play and a few others showed the benefit of playing with depth, at least occasionally.

Also Tahu's break from Tim's pass to set up the long-range try was an example of some of our better attacking players having more time and space to show there true wares.

That was one of the more encouraging signs from Friday's game IMO

Indeed.

It should also be noted that Tim's improvement has also coincided with a better all round performance by the forwards.
I have said all along that if the forwards can dominate or at the very least compete on equal terms with opposing forward packs, it will give Tim that little extra time and space to play his game. It happened in '05, and it has happened again these past two matches.

Suity

Freak2

Juniors
Suity,

I'm not sure I totally agree with that comment re the forwards!

Our go forward on Friday was below average with metres gained very low in most cases. A very poor 10 metres was responsible as much as anything!

I do agree though that he got great service out of dummy half and made the correct decisions.

Suitman

Post Whore
Freak2 said:
Suity,

I'm not sure I totally agree with that comment re the forwards!

Our go forward on Friday was below average with metres gained very low in most cases. A very poor 10 metres was responsible as much as anything!

I do agree though that he got great service out of dummy half and made the correct decisions.

I agree to an extent. The stats don't lie.
But didn't it appear to you that Tim appeared to have more space to work with compared to the first two rounds? An extra two or three steps to make decisions, so to speak.
Penrith also struggled under the poor interpretation of the 10 metres. We just made the better of it and hence, Tim benifited.
The Canberra game was the same.
I still believe if that our forwards can do their job, Tim will be fine.
Under those conditions, he'll do me as a halfback.

Suity

Bigfella

Coach
ALso Suity and Colonel, I know I have been banging on about this, but do you agree that we didn't exactly miss Pig out of dummy half?

In fact, I thought Blake's service was good; PJ is a great runner from dummy half but could still improve the speed of his service.

An area we have a lot of improvement to offer.

Suitman

Post Whore
Bigfella said:
ALso Suity and Colonel, I know I have been banging on about this, but do you agree that we didn't exactly miss Pig out of dummy half?

In fact, I thought Blake's service was good; PJ is a great runner from dummy half but could still improve the speed of his service.

I mentioned it elsewhere.

Greens service out of dummy half was a breath of fresh air.
The sooner Riddell gets out of there the better.

Suity

The Colonel

Immortal
Bigfella said:

Out of dummy half, not really. I do think we miss his agressiveness and defense around the ruck in the opening 20 minutes to an extent. PJ has been playing very well defensively.

I'd hate to see Blake used solely as a hooker though as I think his running game is one of the better ones at the club.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
Suitman said:
I mentioned it elsewhere.

Greens service out of dummy half was a breath of fresh air.
The sooner Riddell gets out of there the better.

Suity

I agree. When is he off contract? Maybe he will be he one to go, instead of one of the halves?

Suitman

Post Whore
B-Tron 3000 said:
I agree. When is he off contract? Maybe he will be he one to go, instead of one of the halves?

I meant the sooner he gets out of dummy half.
Riddell could be a very good second rower for us.

Suity

The Colonel

Immortal
B-Tron 3000 said:

Extended his deal at the end of last year until 2009 or 2010.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
Suitman said:
I meant the sooner he gets out of dummy half.
Riddell could be a very good second rower for us.

Suity

Doesn't have the workrate IMO. Would be a waste of a player when you can get 2nd rowers that go nearly all game.