What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hindmarsh: Tim Smith

benoir91

Juniors
PARRAMATTA second-rower Nathan Hindmarsh last night told of the transformation in Tim Smith's game which has again made the 22-year-old one of the most feared halfbacks in the NRL.

as if that paragraph doesnt fire you up

go tim

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
under the forum rules were are supposed to provide a URL link to any quotes

Parraletic

Juniors
Timmy had a blinder on Friday night. Back to his best now his getting his confidence back. All we need now is for Green to partner him in the halves & we look like a great football side. (piss off finch!)

Parramatta roll Penrith

By Steve Mascord
April 14, 2007 12:00

Article from:

PARRAMATTA second-rower Nathan Hindmarsh last night told of the transformation in Tim Smith's game which has again made the 22-year-old one of the most feared halfbacks in the NRL.
Smith was at his electric best last night as the Eels and Penrith played out an exciting derby in front of 18,756 fans at CUA Stadium, the scores tied 14-14 with 16 minutes to go.
Fullback Luke Burt's second try and another to second-rower Ian Hindmarsh, who also landed his first field goal, were enough to give Michael Hagan's men their third and best win this season, 27-14.
And Tim Smith was the architect, throwing passes for Luke Burt's 14th-minute try and Nathan Hindmash's 31st-minute effort in an impressive all-round display.
"He's very hard on himself but he's adjusted his game," said Nathan Hindmarsh.
"He's doing different stuff at training, he's being more creative.
"His standard long ball – he's adjusted that to use the short (passing) game as well.
"It's something he's been working on. He knows himself he's prone for an intercept pass or something like that. It puts the defence in two minds rather than just throwing the long ball all the time."
Smith said the return of his peripheral vision was the reason for his resounding return to form.
"I'm starting to see things a bit better," he said.
"My vision's been a bit down. When you're playing halfback you've got to have good peripheral vision and it's now starting to come back to me.
"I'm starting to see little things that I've got to do. It just comes with confidence, it comes back and you're having a lot of fun as well.
"I don't know if you saw it out there but I was smiling a lot more.
"Confidence is a big thing in rugby league and I was down on it a bit last year. After I missed that tackle on (Rhys) Wesser, I was feeling pretty s . . . . . on myself (but) just like anything else in life, you've just got to get on with it.
"Maturity's a big thing.
"There's only two games I've played half-decent so I've still got a long way to go."
In an end-to-end contest, Burt was denied what would have been his second try in the 17th minute when a super slow-motion replay detected the tiniest of fumbles as he grounded the ball.
The custodian had to wait until 48 minutes to finally get his second, backing up a Ben Smith break to snap the deadlock and making a point of touching down a second time for the benefit of video referee Chris Ward.
"That's the way you should put them down all the time," referee Shayne Hayne told him as he lined up the kick.
Then Hindmarsh landed his 72nd-minute drop goal – "the first in a game and not too many more at training," he said.
"It was just spontaneous," he recalled.
"The ball shouldn't have even been coming to me.
"I just looked up, the goal-posts looked quite large so I thought I'd have a crack."
The former Canberra and Catalans forward then forced his way over for his first try of the year four minutes later.
After the conversion kick was taken by Burt, Panthers replacement Paul Aiton was placed on report for a lifting tackle in the lead-up.
Penrith coach Matthew Elliott said his team's inconsistencies were "not to be unexpected. I'm not dying of shock here".
'The frustrating thing is that I know what this team is capable of and coaches aren't by nature patient people. We're making errors at crucial times."
Hooker Luke Priddis said the errors "were probably starting the last session at training".
"I think we're down to 60 or 70 per cent and the blokes in this club are capable of much more," Priddis said.

http://www.news.com.au/sundaytelegraph/story/0,22049,21554723-5006066,00.html

caylo

Bench
eelavation said:
still too eratic to be labled the most feared halfback at this stage.

he said most feared, not best.
Thats probably the reason his most feared, he is difficult to coach against, you don't know what your goin to get. They were saying in his first year that his short pass has the same action as his long pass, meaning you cant pick what he is goin to throw. His short kicking game, is different to most players, the way grubbers a footy is very different to other halfback, making it easyer to fumble. His skills are there, and the fact that his erratic can be the opposition down fall, but also Timmys. If he has a consistant year, i think he will be behind only thurston, and be the second best halfback in the comp.

Stagger eel

Staff member
caylo said:
he said most feared, not best.
Thats probably the reason his most feared, he is difficult to coach against, you don't know what your goin to get. They were saying in his first year that his short pass has the same action as his long pass, meaning you cant pick what he is goin to throw. His short kicking game, is different to most players, the way grubbers a footy is very different to other halfback, making it easyer to fumble. His skills are there, and the fact that his erratic can be the opposition down fall, but also Timmys. If he has a consistant year, i think he will be behind only thurston, and be the second best halfback in the comp.

yeah..but really it's no different to Todd Carney, when Carney's on, he's probably one of the best halfbacks in the comp...also did you catch Jarrod Mullens game against Souths yesterday? I know it's nice to sing praises of our own but there are plenty out there who are just as consistant and playing as good as Timmy at the moment.

jayjayselmes

Juniors
bloody hell ill grant he had a good game but to start all this media sh*t again is just asking for a disaster to happen. I mean one good game and all of a sudden everything is forgotten he gets being talked up as a dangerous and feared halfback ???
this must be a gee up surely???? i doubt any other team or fan agrees with hindy.

Lets string it out some good form over the next 15 games and then the media can have a field day with it

Stagger eel

Staff member
not even the best players in the world have 15 straight games of good form ahead of them..

The Colonel

Immortal
One word that people have seemingly missed in it all is AMONGST. No talk of him being THE most feared or THE best. AMONGST THE best is a different kettle altogether.

Timmy is getting back to some form that won him the rookie of the year title. He still needs to gain some support but the things most people had been critical of are slowly being polished. His running game on Friday night was one thing that many had been critical of and it, IMO, was more than decent.

Only thing I can find to be critical of was that he should have held the ball instead of passing to Jarryd.... he could have almost fell over the line. Needs to be a little more selfish.

COACH STERLING

Juniors
According to PJ, he is the 3rd best halfback in the comp, and with the retirement of Johns, that makes him No 2. :crazy:

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
jayjayselmes said:
bloody hell ill grant he had a good game but to start all this media sh*t again is just asking for a disaster to happen. I mean one good game and all of a sudden everything is forgotten he gets being talked up as a dangerous and feared halfback ???
this must be a gee up surely???? i doubt any other team or fan agrees with hindy.

That's not the point Jayjay.

The point is that Hindy says the team is behind him. That is what the kid needs - belief.

He is a confidence player and the positive press will be good for him. It didn't seem to hurt him in 2005. Last year he got plenty of negative press and he didn't play too well.

benoir91

Juniors
jayjayselmes said:

Lets string it out some good form over the next 15 games and then the media can have a field day with it

oy jayjayselmes get over your hatred towards tim smith the kid is getting better each week and all you do is criticise him ffs get over it remeber he is only 21 years old and to have so much skill and talent at this age is incredible so back off hes doing a better job then you would hes an incredible player

Ron Jeremy

Coach
imo tim has the most lethal short kicking game in the league, the problem is his long kicking game can be average.

Hellsy

Immortal
Indeed... I hope he can make Patten run for the ball this week, and not just kick it straight to him