What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

History in the making as Storm's SG Ball team play 1st game

Melbourne Storm’s SG Ball team created history in more ways than one tonight as the under-18 team defeated the highly fancied Newcastle Knights 18-14 in the team’s first ever competitive game.
Defeating such a highly credentialed team is one thing (Newcastle won both the SG Ball and Harold Matthews competitions in 2008), but what makes the win even better is that twelve of the squad have come through the Melbourne Storm Development Program from a young age, eight of which are Victorians.
The remaining five members of the squad were made up of members of the under-20’s team still young enough to play in the SG Ball team.
Playing in atrocious conditions in Charlestown, Newcastle, it was the forwards who dominated the game, with the captain Kenny Bromwich (a Victorian) leading the way with a superb best-on-ground performance.
The rain made it tough for any fluent football to be played, but the Storm made the most of the situation in the early exchanges, and by half-time had skipped away to a 14-6 lead.
In the second half the Knights came back at the Storm, and it was only a gutsy performance by everyone in the team that ensured a victory in their first ever outing in Storm colours.
Big front-rowers Junior Afu and Jordan McLaughlin were outstanding, while Lucas Grech, another local product, excelled at hooker.
Special mention must be made of a couple of 15-year-olds in the Storm team.
Melbourne boy Cameron Hansen scored a try in the first-half to get the Storm off to a flyer, while hooker Herschel Gideon came off the bench in the second-half to score a crucial, match-winning try.
The Storm plays their second SG Ball game on Saturday, February 21 at Princes Park in Melbourne from 3.00pm. The game will be a curtain-raiser to the Storm’s NRL trial game against the Newcastle Knights from 6.00pm.

http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=17442

Awesome :)

Noa

First Grade
Goldthopre FTW

ROFL I cant believe people are making a big deal outa this. Its a joke!!

It's not a big deal or history in the making

It should have been done 10 years ago

If the NRL had given the reds a proper franchise and had financial backing...imagine where they would be today

A lot f**king better than having an SG Ball side 12 years since est. thats for sure

There really is not much upstairs is there.

12 years ago there was no junior structure in place, so where were these players going to come from genius.

These under 18 players are the kids that would have been 10 when the storm came into exisctence and have made it there goal to get to the NRL. Anyone older then that would have been up agaisnt it to make it as the coaching they would be receiving would have left them behind the 8 ball.

The fact there are that many of this quality is amazing when you consider the Storm and the ARL have only been working hand in hand the last 4 years. So if you wan to blame anyone for the Storm not having a junior structure form the get go blame the ARL. It was there responsibility to foster league

petetheileet

First Grade
There really is not much upstairs is there.

12 years ago there was no junior structure in place, so where were these players going to come from genius.

These under 18 players are the kids that would have been 10 when the storm came into exisctence and have made it there goal to get to the NRL. Anyone older then that would have been up agaisnt it to make it as the coaching they would be receiving would have left them behind the 8 ball.

The fact there are that many of this quality is amazing when you consider the Storm and the ARL have only been working hand in hand the last 4 years. So if you wan to blame anyone for the Storm not having a junior structure form the get go blame the ARL. It was there responsibility to foster league

I never mentioned 12 years ago...read more carefully

I dont think these under 18 players when 10 when Strom were est. By my count they would have been five or six...did u fail maths in practice or are you just such a Melbourne RL bandwagoner that you dont know when they were established???

I never placed blame on anyone...nor did i say who is responsible for such a snails paced growth.

And taking everything you have said into consideration wouldnt it have been much more productive to give the franchise to a city which might allready have a few juniors, fans and an interst in the game?

I think so

aqua_duck

Coach
BTW that article is inaccurate, roosters won sg ball in 2008, we missed the finals, and in mats we made the finals but were knocked out quite early and if memory serves me correct panthers took it out

Noa

First Grade
I never mentioned 12 years ago...read more carefully

I dont think these under 18 players when 10 when Strom were est. By my count they would have been five or six...did u fail maths in practice or are you just such a Melbourne RL bandwagoner that you dont know when they were established???

I never placed blame on anyone...nor did i say who is responsible for such a snails paced growth.

And taking everything you have said into consideration wouldnt it have been much more productive to give the franchise to a city which might allready have a few juniors, fans and an interst in the game?

I think so

1. THe fact i got the ages wrong is unimportant, its a red-herring.

2. You did mention 12 years, you said "A lot f**king better than having an SG Ball side 12 years since est. thats for sure".

3.Theres no way the Storm could have had any type of youth team when they started. The only sensible time to have a youth team is when they could stock it mostly with players from Vic. Otherwise theyd be taking 30+ kids away from there homes, which would be irresponsible.

4. Sure it will be good to have a few Vic born players in the Storms side but the greater victory will be seeing Vic born and raised kids in all the teams through-out the league.

5. Yes I am a bandwagon fan. I jumped on the Storms wagon in 02 when I moved here & they were going like busteds. Having grown up in rural NSW I never supported a team, just played and loved the game.

Latest posts