What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

History in the making as Storm's SG Ball team play 1st game

yakstorm

First Grade
This qualifies as history in the making??

Get 5 local juniors in a first grade team within 20 years of the club being formed and i'll call that closer to history.

It is history, because for the first time Victoria has joined the elite junior representative pathways.

This is massively important for the future competitiveness of Victorian RL juniors. The Primary School and early Secondary School exchanges have shown that kids from the affiliated states are reasonably competitive against those from NSW and Queensland, the difference is from 16 and upwards, those good kids get to play in the elite programs, whilst those in the affiliated states either have to move or are left out.

But anyway as for your statement about having 5 juniors in the Storm squad within 20 years of their formation, I confident by 2018, there will have been 5 Victorian juniors who will crack the NRL, thanks to these junior pathways, if the Storm enter the Harold Matthews next year as well.

There are now over 20 Victorians floating around in the team structure below NRL for 2009, and with time and support on their side, as well as many more Victorians playing the game, eventually they are going to start popping up in the Telstra Premiership.

girvie

Staff member
1. Tinus Dorante Vic (Qld)
2. Robbie Kurth Vic
3. Eddie Faamausili Vic
4. Cameron Hansen Vic
5. Toese Vou Siutu Vic
6. John Aldridge NSW
7. Jordan Taurea NZ
8. Junior Afu NZ
9. Herschel Gideon Vic
10. Jordan McLaughlin NZ
11. Kenny Bromwich NZ
12. Sam Martin Qld
13. Jordan McLean NSW
14. Lucas Grech Vic
15. Matthew Constantinou Vic
16. Luke Waiti SA (NZ)
17. Jerome Henry NSW

Aaron Laasia, Vic
Frankie Bruce, Vic
Elyon Brown, Vic
Mark Porges, WA
Young Tonumaipea, Vic
David Maitaka, Vic
Duane Butler, Vic
Tala Titi, Vic
Adam Millgate, Vic
Jordan Schmidt, Vic
Josh Jerome, Qld
Slade Griffin, NZ
Justin O'Neill, Qld
Theodore Stuart NZ

It's be interesting to see how the Harold Matthews aged players handle it. Hansen, Gideon, Titi and Millgate.

MsStorm

Bench
A Victorian interstate rivalry will be as fierce as any QLD/NSW rivalry. VIC's think they're the shizz when it comes to sport in Australia. I welcome the challenge of a tri state series.

It will happen one day...yipeeeee:D

MsStorm

Bench
This qualifies as history in the making??

Get 5 local juniors in a first grade team within 20 years of the club being formed and i'll call that closer to history.

Do you like rugby league...if you did, you would write something positive about this thread Pete the Elite:(

Perth Red

Post Whore
Great news for RL in Vic. I would love to see the WA Reds jnr squad in the comp in 2010 but the travelling is probably too prohibitive unfortunately.

ps I'd love to see a WA v Vic SOO develop, especially as we'd kick their backsides for at least the first couple of years!

MsStorm

Bench
Great news for RL in Vic. I would love to see the WA Reds jnr squad in the comp in 2010 but the travelling is probably too prohibitive unfortunately.

ps I'd love to see a WA v Vic SOO develop, especially as we'd kick their backsides for at least the first couple of years![/quote]

Not going to happen babe:D
Vics will win hands down.

Perth Red

Post Whore
ha ha, you reckon? Our WA Reds would beat a Vic side let alone adding in thw 1/2 dozen NRL players from WA!

Great News for Australian Rugby League.

Lets face it, League will never be the most popular sport in Victoria, but if we can carve out a niche then that will be enough. I would imagine that most of those young Vics would have parents who are ex-pats from NSW or QLD but that is how the seeds are sewn. If the Melbourne Storm can have a team with a large contingent of Victorians in it, the interstate rivalry will kick in and the team will thrive. This is a big step in the NRL becoming a truly national competition.

hutch

First Grade
f**k no! The 1997 Tri-series is living proof that Origin should not be tampered with... except that final was awesome!

victoria will have an origin team, but nsw v qld will never be tampered with. the answer is a 3 match series v wa played before nsw v qld origin. during this time, nz can also play their origin with png, fiji, samoa and tonga playing test matches against each other.

we need to think bigger than just 2 states in australia.

petetheileet

First Grade
Goldthopre FTW

ROFL I cant believe people are making a big deal outa this. Its a joke!!

It's not a big deal or history in the making

It should have been done 10 years ago

If the NRL had given the reds a proper franchise and had financial backing...imagine where they would be today

A lot f**king better than having an SG Ball side 12 years since est. thats for sure

MsStorm

Bench
Goldthopre FTW

ROFL I cant believe people are making a big deal outa this. Its a joke!!

It's not a big deal or history in the making

If the NRL had given the reds a proper franchise and had financial backing...imagine where they would be today

A lot f**king better than having an SG Ball side 12 years since est. thats for sure

Your the joke!

Billythekid

First Grade

Where were the juniors supposed to come from league basically didn't exist in Victoria before the Storm. The generation of rugby league players who started playing as a result of the storm are only now just coming through.

It's also been a hard slog with practically no help from channel 9 or the NRL to grow the game in Victoria.

It was always going to be difficult to get established down there but the rewards will be huge for the game.

Short sighted morons like yourself and El D are trying to hold the game back.

Noa

First Grade
Where were the juniors supposed to come from league basically didn't exist in Victoria before the Storm. The generation of rugby league players who started playing as a result of the storm are only now just coming through.

It's also been a hard slog with practically no help from channel 9 or the NRL to grow the game in Victoria.

It was always going to be difficult to get established down there but the rewards will be huge for the game.

Short sighted morons like yourself and El D are trying to hold the game back.

Great post with great points, unfortunately it will go in one of his ears and straight out the other with not to much to block its path.