What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hodges being tricky in the ingoal

chunk

Juniors
Very clever but whats the rule on that?

Not sure, but if you run to the defensive line and throw the ball over and catch it again, its deemed a knock on or froward pass.

tdcockers

Juniors
chunk said:
Very clever but whats the rule on that?

Not sure, but if you run to the defensive line and throw the ball over and catch it again, its deemed a knock on or froward pass.

it's fine, it can only be called knock on if the ball touches someone or something else before the player who originally lost/threw the pass regains control

Choppies

Coach
Raider Ultra said:
What's to stop you throwing the ball over the top of the defensive line and running through and catching it?

If they can pull it off good on em.

Frederick

Staff member
Raider Ultra said:
What's to stop you throwing the ball over the top of the defensive line and running through and catching it?
Nothing at all, but if it doesn't come off it becomes an instant knock-on and the opposition get the ball back. At least with the kick over the defensive line, you're not restricting yourself to just one player being able to regather the ball.

Tom Shines

First Grade
Raider Ultra said:
The rules.
What Hodges did didn't deceive the defenders, nor did he gain any advantage from it (apart from keeping the ball in play).
Totally legal.

hold up.... the rule says something about knockin it on to another player so not sure i ve read somewhere alrady about it saying its ok ... plus thanks for that broncos are the best i usually jsut watch it on bigpond tv lolz i already saw it but yeah its the same thanks for the reminder :p :)

BWNB

First Grade
If the roosters player, has a go for the ball it automaticly becomes a knock on

Raider_69

Post Whore
i was under the impression if a player purposely propells the ball forward and catchs it like that it is considered to be a forward pass, hence it should have been a goal line drop out

that said, thats from a rusty memory of being told something like that in my junior days, could be completely off the mark

bobbis

Juniors
If you throw the ball forward to yourself its a dilliberate forward pass. However I dont think Hodges threw it forward he threw it up in the air then ran back in and caught it at about the same place he originally threw the ball.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
I think its supposed to be a penalty under the 'deliberate forward pass' rule, however this is void if its in his ingoal.x

slacko_mitch

Its not void because its in the ingoal, thats the offside rule. There does not seem to be a rule about passing to yourself, although perhaps you could argue it isnt in the true spirit of the game, but you could argue that it wasnt a pass, the rule book defines a pass from one player to another, and it wasnt a knock on as he cought the ball, it seems pretty legal to me, although orginally i thought it was a penalty too!

Steel Dragon

Bench
Raider_69 said:
i was under the impression if a player purposely propells the ball forward and catchs it like that it is considered to be a forward pass, hence it should have been a goal line drop out

100% correct.
Look it up in your rule books kiddies - you cant deliberately propell the ball forward to yourself. Its considered a forward pass.

Stranger

Coach
Spot on.

Penalty - Goosters.

Though it might not have gone forward? I was under the impression that it was just up n down.

slacko_mitch

i read my rule book and did not see anything like that, could you please show me where it says propelling it to yourself?

Stranger

Coach
Stop reading a junior rugby league book and get the international rules.

You can not deliberately throw the ball forward.