What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hodges trick

Inferno

Coach
Either way it doesn't seem as though he will be doing it again.

The NRL is set to stamp out at least one of Brisbane centre Justin Hodges's circus tricks, with chief operating officer Graham Annesley conceding yesterday that the Test speedster should have been penalised against the Roosters for deliberately propelling the ball forward in an effort to keep a deep kick-off in play.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,21523072-10389,00.html

Mr Saab

Referee
That comment is in direct contrast to the opinion of Bill Harrigan.
On the footyshow Tim Gilbert said he spoke to Bill and said it was legal.

Inferno

Coach
Mr Saab said:
That comment is in direct contrast to the opinion of Bill Harrigan.
On the footyshow Tim Gilbert said he spoke to Bill and said it was legal.

Sounds about right given that Stuart Raper is doing some "consultancy work" for the referees. Expect many more blunders in the coming weeks and months.

bonestorm

Juniors
Interesting if they change the rule because of that incident. How often is it going to happen anyway? How many players have that kind of awareness?

m0j0

Bench
Inferno said:
Either way it doesn't seem as though he will be doing it again.
The NRL is set to stamp out at least one of Brisbane centre Justin Hodges's circus tricks, with chief operating officer Graham Annesley conceding yesterday that the Test speedster should have been penalised against the Roosters for deliberately propelling the ball forward in an effort to keep a deep kick-off in play.

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,21523072-10389,00.html
I don't think he actually propelled it forward. To me it looks like it goes straight up at worst, maybe even slightly backwards. Judge for yourself, particularly from the rear camera angle:-

http://home.exetel.com.au/johnson-au/Hodges_Trick.avi(3.21MB)

Raider_69

Post Whore
hodges should have put a foot over the deadball line and taken it on the full. Penalty at half way...

Mad Dogg

Juniors
Raider_69 said:
hodges should have put a foot over the deadball line and taken it on the full. Penalty at half way...
Is that still the rule? I seem to remember that they changed it last year, so if a player did that it would be a goal-line dropout. And I don't remember anybody doing it either this year or last.

ps. Although it originally looks like Hodges threw it forward, you can see that it actually went backwards.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Mad Dogg said:
Is that still the rule? I seem to remember that they changed it last year, so if a player did that it would be a goal-line dropout. And I don't remember anybody doing it either this year or last.

ps. Although it originally looks like Hodges threw it forward, you can see that it actually went backwards.

from memory they elimited it as a rule for kicks in general play, so you can do it off a bomb of grubber ingoal, but off the kick off i believe its still in play. Could be wrong though

Raider_69

Post Whore
Mad Dogg said:

from memory they elimited it as a rule for kicks in general play, so you can do it off a bomb of grubber ingoal, but off the kick off i believe its still in play. Could be wrong though

Mr Saab

Referee
You can only do it for bombs. If the ball bounces in the field of play you cant do it

*Paul*

Juniors
Which is a minor dilemma. The concept is that if a player is out of bounds, he then forms part of the out of bounds area. IF the OOB player catches a kick on the full, it's the same as out on the full.

Similarly, the old tactic of touching the grubber whilst over the dead ball line, it's the same as it going out by itself. But that act was rather unpleasing to the eye, so they amended the rule. But now we have the situation where the OOB player counts as OOB in one case, but inbounds in another.

Raider_69

Post Whore
good call paul but i think they've got the balance right though

alot of execellently weighted grubbers were put out by that rule, which was a bad things, almost made the ingoal grubber extinct, a bomb landing close enough to the deadball line to use this, is probably not a good quality one anyways and deserves to be punished. A well positioned bomb or kick outside a grubber, 9/10 will be no where near the deadball line, well at least not close enough to make this rule a bad one

Latest posts