What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hoffman to play for Kiwis

whykickamoocow

Juniors
I wonder how many NSW idiots will never mention this in their conspiracy theories about how QLD doesn't produce it's own talent/Broncos are cheats/QLD killed JFK/Lockyer never landed on the moon.
Surely people don't think the Lockyer moon landing is a fake?

hellteam

First Grade
So..

Hoffman.. Aboriginal.. from Mackay = Playing for New Zealand

Teo... Maori.. from New Zealand = Playing for Qld/Australia

Weird.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Won't cut it at Origin.

have you watched boyd the past 2 years?

i still think it's weird playing for a country you havent really lived in. Mind you Nightingale and Covell did exactly the same thing but if a player from another country wants to represent qld/australia there's a big whinge about it.

for the kiwi's hoffman will be a good addition to the team. i'd take him in the 4N squad and maybe play him against PNG

kiwii

Juniors
Has he represented Aust at junior level? if he has than he should be made to play for Aust at senior level IMO, I hate the fact that players such as K Hunt and Teo to name a couple played for the Junior Kiwi's than say they are no longer wanting to play for NZ teams so they can play Origin, it is wrong and should be stopped.

Walk over the bridge and get over it. The world has changed and people need to open their narrow minds and stop assuming ppl should play for this and this. Its not up to you, if they want to play for a desired country and they can get in under the rules, then let em

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
I think its great Hoffman wants to play for the kiwis. The more competitive the international game is the better it will be for rugby league. Anyway the Aussies have about a thousand fullbacks to pick from.

kiwii

Juniors
Walk over the bridge and get over it. The world has changed and people need to open their narrow minds and stop assuming ppl should play for this and this. Its not up to you, if they want to play for a desired country and they can get in under the rules, then let em

I don't mind the fact he wants to play for the Kiwi's great good for us!!! And I know it is not my choice but the fact is when you have ALREADY REPRESENTED A COUNTRY say NZ you should not turn your back and be able to play for OZ, it is a silly rule that should be changed ( look at Tony Carroll played for OZ, then played for NZ because he didn't make the Oz world cup squad, then went back and played for OZ, IMO it is ruining the international game.

AuDragon

Juniors
I don't mind the fact he wants to play for the Kiwi's great good for us!!! And I know it is not my choice but the fact is when you have ALREADY REPRESENTED A COUNTRY say NZ you should not turn your back and be able to play for OZ, it is a silly rule that should be changed ( look at Tony Carroll played for OZ, then played for NZ because he didn't make the Oz world cup squad, then went back and played for OZ, IMO it is ruining the international game.
I would agree with you if League was an established game internationally. Soccer has such a rule for example, once you've represented a country at any level, that's it for life.

Unfortunately, RL only has 3 countries at a superior level and in order to up the level and attract more interest from a number of fringe countries, I couldn't see anything wrong with Folau playing for Tonga or Jarryd Hayne for Fiji for example.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
I agree it would be great to see Folau play for Tonga. Not only would it make them more competitive it would boost the profile of Tongan RL in general.

Broncos93

Juniors
Bold statement. I have to disagree though based his efforts on the wing and his toughness. On his rate on improvement I think Boyd is already the locked in 2nd choice.

I'm not doubting the talent of Darius, cause he's a great player, but I can't see Darius being the Queensland number 1... he's just not explosive enough to be honest. It's always seemed to be a thing that Queensland fullbacks have had; Rhys Whesser, Matt Bowen and now Slater. Lockyer and Thurston have never had a problem carving up the NSW forwards cause they've got an explosive fullback to turn it back inside to. I just can't see Darius being that guy, he always seems to be nervous and "out of his league" so to speak when playing amonst Inglis, Lockyer, Thurston etc. IMO Hoffman would have made a much better replacement fullback but I guess we'll see in years to come.

BDH

Juniors
Has he represented Aust at junior level? if he has than he should be made to play for Aust at senior level IMO, I hate the fact that players such as K Hunt and Teo to name a couple played for the Junior Kiwi's than say they are no longer wanting to play for NZ teams so they can play Origin, it is wrong and should be stopped.

Please show us evidence of where Hunt played for Junior Kiwi's?? Oh that's right, he didn't. He has been a QLD junior rep since he was Under 14s and was an AUSTRALIAN junior.

Tonie Carroll....oh man, I give up trying to explain this to people. You guys have really got to read more to learn the truth or else you look like idiots. With a username of "kiwi', you really should know who is who and who is eligible for who.

Drama Queen its not that bad. Tony Caroll its not even thought of now and lets not talk about it because you only highlighting old news which in itself kinda boring lol

Move on its 2010 and the international game is stronger than State of Origin now and its only getting more competitive nowadays especially now we have Hoffman as an option

kiwii

Juniors
Drama Queen its not that bad. Tony Caroll its not even thought of now and lets not talk about it because you only highlighting old news which in itself kinda boring lol

Move on its 2010 and the international game is stronger than State of Origin now and its only getting more competitive nowadays especially now we have Hoffman as an option

All im doing is stating my personal opinion on representing a country, and IMO if you have played for OZ, NZ or England at any level you shouldn't be able to switch to another of the big 3 nations, going and playing for Samoa or any minor nation I have no problem with. What are your feelings there bro on this issue?

lockyno1

Post Whore
Smart boy, International footy is dead. You may as well play in the best arena- Origin!

doogiehowser_md

Juniors
Just shows you the shambles things are in, things will get soo much worse when all these guys have come over to QLD from NZ and are eligible for both. Look at the NYC teams are packed full of guys who can play for both. If QLD keep persuading these guys like Teo and now Hoffman to carry on the QLD dynasty it just provides NSW with an excuse to say that QLD broke the rules and aren't really that good. Look at the current Broncos side you have got Winterstein, Glenn, Norman, Beale, Setu, Teo, McGuire & Hoffman eligible for both. Its gonna get messy sooner or later and SOO could die if things aren't ironed out soon and maybe include a NZ team as 3rd team in the SOO competition or let the NZ side play the winner of the SOO.

Big Pete

Referee
How are Queensland breaking the rules in regards to Hoffman?

He's basically spent all his life in Queensland.

doogiehowser_md

Juniors
How are Queensland breaking the rules in regards to Hoffman?

He's basically spent all his life in Queensland.

They aren't but NSW supporters will say he's a kiwi playing for Queensland.

I think the only time you will see where players hearts really lie is if you either allow kiwis to play SOO or have a stand alone kiwi team in a SOO competition. Until then a lot of kiwis will choose origin over the kiwis on the basis of payment bonuses and playing in the "pinnacle of rugby league", and their places taken by australians with a hint of NZ heritage.

hellteam

First Grade
They aren't but NSW supporters will say he's a kiwi playing for Queensland.

I think the only time you will see where players hearts really lie is if you either allow kiwis to play SOO or have a stand alone kiwi team in a SOO competition. Until then a lot of kiwis will choose origin over the kiwis on the basis of payment bonuses and playing in the "pinnacle of rugby league", and their places taken by australians with a hint of NZ heritage.

I understand what you're saying, but Hoffman can't really be used as an example. He is going the other way, away from Origin (possibly), when he is pretty blatantly a Queenslander.

Latest posts