What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hoffman to play for Kiwis

Broncos fan!

Juniors
Just shows you the shambles things are in, things will get soo much worse when all these guys have come over to QLD from NZ and are eligible for both. Look at the NYC teams are packed full of guys who can play for both. If QLD keep persuading these guys like Teo and now Hoffman to carry on the QLD dynasty it just provides NSW with an excuse to say that QLD broke the rules and aren't really that good. Look at the current Broncos side you have got Winterstein, Glenn, Norman, Beale, Setu, Teo, McGuire & Hoffman eligible for both. Its gonna get messy sooner or later and SOO could die if things aren't ironed out soon and maybe include a NZ team as 3rd team in the SOO competition or let the NZ side play the winner of the SOO.

Antonio Winterstein - Born in Auckland and pledged allegiance to NZ.
Alex Glenn - Born in Auckland and pledged allegiance to NZ.
Corey Norman - Born in QLD. Has a parent from NZ.
Gerard Beale - Same as above (I think).
Lagi Setu - Born in Auckland, is a QLDer now.
Ben Te'o - Same as above.
Josh McGuire - Born in Aus and has a parent from Samoa I believe.
Josh Hoffman - Born in Mackay, QLD. Has 1 parent from NZ.

If Hoffman elects to play for Aus/QLD then theres nothing wrong with it as he is Australian born and raised.

The only players from that list who are actually Kiwis playing for the Maroons is Te'o and Setu.

Smart boy, International footy is dead. You may as well play in the best arena- Origin!

State Of Origin is out, Internationals is on it's way up (has been for the last couple of years)

State Of Origin is declining only because NSW are not up to scratch (Personally I think the Kiwis will make more of a competition within State Of Origin)

doogiehowser_md

Juniors
Antonio Winterstein - Born in Auckland and pledged allegiance to NZ.
Alex Glenn - Born in Auckland and pledged allegiance to NZ.
Corey Norman - Born in QLD. Has a parent from NZ.
Gerard Beale - Same as above (I think).
Lagi Setu - Born in Auckland, is a QLDer now.
Ben Te'o - Same as above.
Josh McGuire - Born in Aus and has a parent from Samoa I believe.
Josh Hoffman - Born in Mackay, QLD. Has 1 parent from NZ.

If Hoffman elects to play for Aus/QLD then theres nothing wrong with it as he is Australian born and raised.

The only players from that list who are actually Kiwis playing for the Maroons is Te'o and Setu.

Shouldn't the number be 0 and not 2 though.
What do you consider Brad Thorn, Tonie Carroll, Karmichael Hunt & Craig Smith Kiwis or Australians? They were all born in NZ and played for QLD.
There maybe no perfect solution but im sure theres a better solution than the current eligibility rules. Either it needs to be something black and white like where you are born or if you are going to leave it to the player to make up their own mind then kiwis must be involved in SOO in some way or another whether it be incl. for selection of state teams or a separate kiwi team.

Broncos fan!

Juniors
Shouldn't the number be 0 and not 2 though.
What do you consider Brad Thorn, Tonie Carroll, Karmichael Hunt & Craig Smith Kiwis or Australians? They were all born in NZ and played for QLD.
There maybe no perfect solution but im sure theres a better solution than the current eligibility rules. Either it needs to be something black and white like where you are born or if you are going to leave it to the player to make up their own mind then kiwis must be involved in SOO in some way or another whether it be incl. for selection of state teams or a separate kiwi team.

Ahh surely you know what I meant... Te'o and Setu are the only two kiwi born players who have pledged their allegiance to QLD. Te'o was 18th man and Setu has been in the QLD development squad for a few years now as proof.

Not sure what the players you named have to do with this. I was just talking in relation to the list that you gave previously.

I agree though. Something needs to be done in the near future to fix up the eligibility rules.

DeeJ

Bench
Teo's 'eligibility' is a downright disgrace.

Hoffman should play for whoever he feels the greater affinity for and should take his time with the decision as it will affect his whole career. I'd be surprised if NZRL haven't contacted him yet after learning of his heritage and desires though.

Last edited:

shiznit

Coach
if hes a kiwi in his heart he will play for the kiwis... if not then good luck to him.

ive got a heap of cousins born and bred in Australia but would play for NZ in a heartbeat. i think its about being Maori in Australia... they feel unique.

badav

Bench
Has he represented Aust at junior level? if he has than he should be made to play for Aust at senior level IMO, I hate the fact that players such as K Hunt and Teo to name a couple played for the Junior Kiwi's than say they are no longer wanting to play for NZ teams so they can play Origin, it is wrong and should be stopped.

Following on from your logic, then that means Benji Marshall and Greg Eastwood should be playing senior footy for Australia too.

kiwii

Juniors
Following on from your logic, then that means Benji Marshall and Greg Eastwood should be playing senior footy for Australia too.

One rule for all mate! If that is the case, they made a choice then you live by it.

Last edited:

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
One rule for all mate! If that is the case, they made a choice then you live by it.

Hunt has never played for a NZ side, Junior or Senior.

If you're going to promote an opinion, and support that opinion with facts, you might want to make sure they are actually truthful.

kiwii

Juniors
Hunt has never played for a NZ side, Junior or Senior.

If you're going to promote an opinion, and support that opinion with facts, you might want to make sure they are actually truthful.

Ok my bad on Hunt! but there are others who have in the past and probably alot more to come in the future thats why it needs to be cleared up.

alan89

Juniors
Good on ya Hoffman. Winterstein would also be a great addition for the Kiwis. Finally New Zealand have a gun side...

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Hoffmann for Te'O. Think the Kiwis got the better deal there due to qualityh fullback shortages, but masses of forwards.

shiznit

Coach
Brisbane Broncos fullback Josh Hoffman confirms his allegiance to New Zealand

Steve Ricketts From: The Courier-Mail December 17, 2010 12:00AM

FOUR Nations and World Cup champions New Zealand's backline stocks will be boosted even further in 2011 with confirmation that Broncos fullback Josh Hoffman wants to play for the Kiwis.

Hoffman, the 2010 Paul Morgan Medal winner as the Broncos' best and fairest player, has yet to discuss his intentions with the New Zealand Rugby League.

But it will only take one phone call from the NZRL or Kiwis coach Stephen Kearney to make it official.

``I feel my passion is with the Kiwis, as it is with my dad (Shane),'' Hoffman said yesterday. ``Dad is Maori and we have that connection. That's why we're really close.

``I haven't said anything (to the NZRL), but if or when I get the phone call I will be letting them know.''

Hoffman made the Broncos fullback position his own this year following Karmichael Hunt's defection to AFL, but the 22-year-old also can play wing and centre.

Hunt, who was born in Auckland, made himself available for Australia and copped plenty of flak across the Tasman for it.

Hoffman's late mother, Grace, was Aboriginal and the Mackay Norths junior naturally has a strong affection for Queensland and Australia.

His cousin, Dane Gagai, another Bronco, played for the Junior Kangaroos this year and is regarded as a future Origin star.

``I'm glad Dane took that road for the Origin, so one of us can at least try to put that Maroon jersey on and wear it with pride,'' Hoffman said.

Winning the Paul Morgan Medal has boosted Hoffman's confidence, and he has taken on a leadership role in the absence of Australian players Darren Lockyer and Sam Thaiday who will return to training in the new year.

``Without Locky and Sam it gives us young fellas a chance to step up and take a bit of initiative with the team,'' he said. ``I'm pumped about 2011. I'm always on the phone to Dad telling him I can't wait and for 2011 to hurry up.

``It's great to have (centre) Justin Hodges back training fully after his achilles injury. It has been a long journey for him and it's good to have his voice and that chirpiness back on the field.

``He has that cheekiness, so he's always tearing at you when you do something wrong.''

The Broncos have been training at Wests Mitchelton with the University of Queensland Oval out of commission.

A number of players from Intrust Super Cup affiliate clubs have been training with the Broncos, among them Daniel Ogden and Nathan Cleaver (Norths), Daniel Hunt and Matt Handcock (Redcliffe). Hunt is the son of former NSW Origin winger Neil Hunt.

from: http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...e-to-new-zealand/story-e6frep5x-1225972355451

good stuff son.... i look forward to seeing you do the business in a black and white jersey