What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hohaia stars on debut

LeagueNut

First Grade
http://www.sportal.co.nz/league-news-display/hohaia-stars-on-debut-157522

Former Warriors stalwart Lance Hohaia made a dream start to his St Helens career, earning man of the match honours in a 42-24 victory over Widnes.

Hohaia, playing in the halves for his new club, showed why the Saints placed four years of faith in him with a classy display to retain the Karalius Cup for his side.

His former Warriors team-mate, Patrick Ah Van, did not have such a good time of it for Widnes as he converted only two of their five tries which could have seen Widnes give their more-vaunted rivals more of a shake-up.

Along with Hohaia, ex-NRL players Anthony Laffranchi and Mark Flanaghan also made their debuts for St Helens as did 13 Widnes players in their 2012 return to the Super League.

Winger Paddy Flynn scored three tries for Widnes while another former Warrior, Francis Meli, dotted down for one of the Saints' seven four-pointers.

Not only was it Hohaia's debut amongst others, it was also St Helens' first match in their new home at Langtree Park.

Meli told the BBC it was up to his side to turn the new ground into a fortress if they are to go one better than last season's runner-up finish.

"We've got to start the season well and the new ground isn't going to win games for us," he said.

"It's easy for other teams to come to a new stadium and play, so we've got to earn the right to turn up and start winning games."

Go Lancey!

what ever

Juniors
Anyone heard how the other boys that went to England at the end of 2011 have been getting on
Aaron Heremaia
Isaac John
Brett Seymour
any news? Have I forgotten anyone.

Didgi

Anyone heard how the other boys that went to England at the end of 2011 have been getting on
Aaron Heremaia
Isaac John
Brett Seymour
any news? Have I forgotten anyone.

John played a trial for Wakefield, went well by all reports.

Warmess

Juniors
I'm surprised Ah Van is a top grade wing, even in SL o_O

Good on Hohaia, hope he continues to kill it over there. Perfect time for the switch to SL (both for his and the clubs future), I can definitely see him doing well for his full contract, and perhaps even longer.

Didgi

I'm surprised Ah Van is a top grade wing, even in SL o_O

Good on Hohaia, hope he continues to kill it over there. Perfect time for the switch to SL (both for his and the clubs future), I can definitely see him doing well for his full contract, and perhaps even longer.

He's a top grade wing, but he's not up to standard, even of the ESL. He's at Widnes for his experience, they were just promoted.

Not really a point you can lol at them about though, he was an NRL winger, now an ESL winger, probably doing worse in the ESL.

That shit comp produced a national side that cleaned up the Kiwis

First of all we were terribly understrengthed.

Secondly they had more than a couple of NRL players in their side.

And finally, we didn't exacly get the rub of the green with the officials.

Sam_the_man

First Grade

I don't remember the poms whinging when they were missing around a dozen starting players in the 2010 Four Nations.

Are the poms not allowed NRL players in their national side or something?

Did you watch any of the 2010 Four Nations? In particular the test against Australia in Melbourne when Archer may as well have been wearing an Australian test jersey? The rub of the green isn't always fair as the poms found out in Melbourne 2010.

Micistm

Bench

Yep...but the Kiwis were still utterly shit. It was dreadful, lack any sort of ticker, and riddled with errors and cheapshots/dirty tactics. Not worthy of the Kiwi name.

ozbash

Referee
Yep...but the Kiwis were still utterly shit. It was dreadful, lack any sort of ticker, and riddled with errors and cheapshots/dirty tactics. Not worthy of the Kiwi name.

agree, pretty disappointing really.

I don't remember the poms whinging when they were missing around a dozen starting players in the 2010 Four Nations.

Are the poms not allowed NRL players in their national side or something?

Did you watch any of the 2010 Four Nations? In particular the test against Australia in Melbourne when Archer may as well have been wearing an Australian test jersey? The rub of the green isn't always fair as the poms found out in Melbourne 2010.

1. Please name the dozen players they were missing.

2. That's not the point obviously.

3. Not as bad as what happened to us vs England. They got handed the game on a platter. I don't wanna think about that sh*t anymore.

Latest posts