What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hold the women’s competition in summer

kbw

Bench
You are deadset a broken record. Move on.

In what way, I simply made a point that it would provide a solution to the big problem that the women's NRL comp has in expanding and the impact it has on the Women's ISP comp and the corresponding QLD comp. I don't necessarily agree with it, but its a valid point. The big thing stoppign it is that the NRL want the Women's NRL GF on the same day as the mens.

Its also the first time I have commented on anything like this, so I think the Christmas Cheer has you a bit confused.

siv

First Grade
White knight on cue. Classically attacking the poster rather than the point being made.

Having watched a game at the start of the season, I wondered why this competition wasn't standalone, and why did it have to piggyback the finals series, after a full season of being saturated with football.

But I'm sure I'm just being sexist

Only reason is because it replaced the U20/NYC finals as a TV product which used to be shown in full and as preliminary matches for 10 years. While before that it used to be reserve grade / U20s

It would only work in its current NRL structure if all 16 NRL teams had a womens team.

And at the moment there is no plan to achieve that state

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
In what way, I simply made a point that it would provide a solution to the big problem that the women's NRL comp has in expanding and the impact it has on the Women's ISP comp and the corresponding QLD comp. I don't necessarily agree with it, but its a valid point. The big thing stoppign it is that the NRL want the Women's NRL GF on the same day as the mens.

Its also the first time I have commented on anything like this, so I think the Christmas Cheer has you a bit confused.
You spent a good portion of this season on this very board complaining about the NRLW season impacting the NSW Women's Premiership, and it's a bit tiresome.

Ultimately the NRLW comp will overlay the state based competitions and the models will need to adjust accordingly, you don't seem to grasp that concept, which is odd.

Timmah

Staff member
White knight on cue. Classically attacking the poster rather than the point being made.

Having watched a game at the start of the season, I wondered why this competition wasn't standalone, and why did it have to piggyback the finals series, after a full season of being saturated with football.

But I'm sure I'm just being sexist
You attacked somebody else, I'm not sure where you get off suggesting that I'm "classically attacking the poster" when you cast that stone long before I popped my head up in this thread.

I don't think you're necessarily sexist, but it boggles my mind across all codes why some guys think it's vitally important they venture into women's-specific boards or threads (and even social media) tell everyone they don't watch it/the quality is rubbish etc. The question then becomes why you feel so strongly about it to come in here and trumpet its supposed negative qualities.

(side note: could, would or should anyone have even expected an NRLW competition to somehow be at the same elite level as the men, particularly in its first season? I think people need to adjust expectations.)

Timmah

Staff member
I imagine it would come down to whether all 16 clubs are interested in or capable of supporting a men's and women's team, wouldn't it?

dogslife

Coach
Only reason is because it replaced the U20/NYC finals as a TV product which used to be shown in full and as preliminary matches for 10 years. While before that it used to be reserve grade / U20s

It would only work in its current NRL structure if all 16 NRL teams had a womens team.

The NYC had 16 teams, so they replaced it with an inferior competition with only 4 teams why exactly? A
You attacked somebody else, I'm not sure where you get off suggesting that I'm "classically attacking the poster" when you cast that stone long before I popped my head up in this thread.

I don't think you're necessarily sexist, but it boggles my mind across all codes why some guys think it's vitally important they venture into women's-specific boards or threads (and even social media) tell everyone they don't watch it/the quality is rubbish etc. The question then becomes why you feel so strongly about it to come in here and trumpet its supposed negative qualities.

(side note: could, would or should anyone have even expected an NRLW competition to somehow be at the same elite level as the men, particularly in its first season? I think people need to adjust expectations.)
I mustn't have read the forum rules where it says everyone is entitled to an opinion as long as it's positive. I do think the NRLW is of a pretty poor standard, and I won't watch it again in it's current format, but I never said I'd never watch it again, I even threw in the pre-season suggestion as a way of improving it. Using the logic in here, I must be a sexist.

I specifically had a go at the posters who felt compelled to label the OP as dumb and sexist despite the fact there's nothing in his post to suggest that.

siv

First Grade
I imagine it would come down to whether all 16 clubs are interested in or capable of supporting a men's and women's team, wouldn't it?

If the NRL want it they need to help fund it

Nth Qkd and Gold Coast entry is a given as Qld is where womens RL is strongest

Canterbury Newcastle Souths Cronulla Wests-Tigers Penrith Parramatta all have teams already

If Manly dont want in then the Bears are ready

If Canberra dont want in then the Mounties are ready

That leaves Melbourne - where it is easier to gain interest in womens sport

Timmah

Staff member
The NYC had 16 teams, so they replaced it with an inferior competition with only 4 teams why exactly?
WTF? The NYC was replaced with two state competitions.
I mustn't have read the forum rules where it says everyone is entitled to an opinion as long as it's positive. I do think the NRLW is of a pretty poor standard, and I won't watch it again in it's current format, but I never said I'd never watch it again, I even threw in the pre-season suggestion as a way of improving it. Using the logic in here, I must be a sexist.

I specifically had a go at the posters who felt compelled to label the OP as dumb and sexist despite the fact there's nothing in his post to suggest that.
No you didn't miss anything in the forum rules, you just don't seem to understand that having an opinion leaves it open to scrutiny, which is what I've done.

And for the second time you've tried to infer I believe your sexist when I've said nothing of the sort.

kbw

Bench
You spent a good portion of this season on this very board complaining about the NRLW season impacting the NSW Women's Premiership, and it's a bit tiresome.

Ultimately the NRLW comp will overlay the state based competitions and the models will need to adjust accordingly, you don't seem to grasp that concept, which is odd.

No I do grasp it quite well I actually did not make many comments about it at all I have quite a bit to do with both competitions and hear the concerns that the players have.
I don't have a solid opinion on what is best but the players are concerned about the NSW (and QLD) competitions being played without the elite players at the end, if thats the way it goes

Timmah

Staff member
I don't understand why the players wouldn't be apprised of the fact that the ultimate direction would be that the state leagues would become second-tier?

siv

First Grade
I don't understand why the players wouldn't be apprised of the fact that the ultimate direction would be that the state leagues would become second-tier?

Currently the NRLW season doesnt span the womens mus year rep period

So all of them today are aligned to a state league club so they can gain rep selections

They would play all year around 16-20 rounds and dont want miss the state league grand finals

Its not really a FG - RG relationship like it is with mens as there is no regular season overlap with only 4 teams

There were already issues with dual training requirements during state league finals series. Not to mention work related issues

siv

First Grade
WTF? The NYC was replaced with two state competitions.

Not as a finals TV product or NRL finals pregrame. State Cups are played at different venues on different days/times

NSW Cup and QLD Cup finals series were already being broadcast during NYC years

There was a overall loss of content during the finals series. About 8 games which NRLW is trying to replace

Timmah

Staff member
Currently the NRLW season doesnt span the womens mus year rep period

So all of them today are aligned to a state league club so they can gain rep selections

They would play all year around 16-20 rounds and dont want miss the state league grand finals

Its not really a FG - RG relationship like it is with mens as there is no regular season overlap with only 4 teams

There were already issues with dual training requirements during state league finals series. Not to mention work related issues
...obviously that's the case now - I'm referring to the long term goal.

Timmah

Staff member
Not as a finals TV product or NRL finals pregrame. State Cups are played at different venues on different days/times

You need to make up your mind. NYC had 16 teams in your last post but now you're referring to finals only?

:neutral_face:

Fat Tony Kandos

Juniors
Do you want to watch them play in bikinis?
Only the female players with nice figures because I don't enjoy looking at fat and ugly women in bikinis.

I also don't think women and homosexual men would enjoy watching me play rugby league in my Speedos.

Fat Tony Kandos

Juniors
Thoughts and opinions?
Good idea.

Just make sure all the games are at night for work health and safety reasons.

"[A]nd may also curb the media’s propensity to headline grab over the NRLs off season." You state this like it is a bad thing? Why?

Rape allegations. Gang rape allegations. Whatever. The main thing is people continue to talk about the NRL even when the are no games on.

I'd be more worried (and no doubt the NRL's investors would be, too) when the legacy media no longer writes articles about the NRL - 'good' or 'bad'.

I wouldn't stress too much. The NRL are taking the right approach with the women by being 'cautious': https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/10/02...ttie-urge-caution-in-rushing-the-womens-game/

Would you invest your own money gung-ho in an unproven show business venture? I wouldn't.

siv

First Grade
You need to make up your mind. NYC had 16 teams in your last post but now you're referring to finals only?

:neutral_face:

I am referring to the 4 week finals period

When NYC reverted back State League format, there were 4 plus 2 plus 2 plus 1 = 9 games in total during the finals that Fox were no longer broadcasting under the TV deal

Timmah

Staff member
I am referring to the 4 week finals period

When NYC reverted back State League format, there were 4 plus 2 plus 2 plus 1 = 9 games in total during the finals that Fox were no longer broadcasting under the TV deal
You originally asked why a 16 team comp was replaced by a 4 week one.

I presume you did so in order to maximise your point to those who'd skim read and give your opinion no further scrutiny.

Either way, it's a complete head-scratcher that NYC and NRLW are the crux of the issue here.

siv

First Grade
You originally asked why a 16 team comp was replaced by a 4 week one.

I presume you did so in order to maximise your point to those who'd skim read and give your opinion no further scrutiny.

Either way, it's a complete head-scratcher that NYC and NRLW are the crux of the issue here.

There are a few issues
- 1 - lack of TV content and pregames during NRL finals after the end of NYC

- 2 - less than 16 teams means NRLW is not a NRL regular season pregame causing issues with pregame match scheduling

- 3 - NRLW with only 4 teams is not a layer above State Leagues as players need to play both comps and directly impacts State League season finals

4 teams solves #1 but 2 and 3 remain

How the NRLW goes from 4 to 16 teams will be very tricky. NSWRL and QRL could easily veto changes that impact their competitions

Could you go to 16 quickly ? The answer looks like almost yes but it means the NSWRL-W comp would need to move up to NRLW level

But the NRL needs to cough up cash from its $50 mil to make it a reality

Timmah

Staff member
There are a few issues
- 1 - lack of TV content and pregames during NRL finals after the end of NYC

- 2 - less than 16 teams means NRLW is not a NRL regular season pregame causing issues with pregame match scheduling

- 3 - NRLW with only 4 teams is not a layer above State Leagues as players need to play both comps and directly impacts State League season finals

4 teams solves #1 but 2 and 3 remain

How the NRLW goes from 4 to 16 teams will be very tricky. NSWRL and QRL could easily veto changes that impact their competitions

Could you go to 16 quickly ? The answer looks like almost yes but it means the NSWRL-W comp would need to move up to NRLW level

But the NRL needs to cough up cash from its $50 mil to make it a reality
1 - NYC matches barely rated - the interest in NRLW from that perspective is already a huge improvement, so #1 isn't an issue and likely won't be going forward.

As for the rest, I don't understand how you could possibly have missed my point that as the NRLW expands the ultimate goal will be that the state leagues become the second tier.

I never said that was to happen in 2019, only that it will happen with expansion of the game.

Latest posts