What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Home Final v Cougars

Jeffles

Bench
ABC Radio just read out a press release from the NRL/NSWRL saying that Newtown will play the Cougars this Friday night at Henson Park with kick off at 7:30pm.

I am waiting for confirmation about other details.

Being a final, the NSWRL will assume some control over the game. Nothing is official but my presumption will be that Henson Park Season passes will NOT be accepted since they are for regular season games only.

More details as they come to hand.

If this turns out to be true, it will be Newtown's biggest home game since the return to Metro in 1991.

Jeffles

Bench
CONFIRMED:

Friday September 8
Newtown Jets v St Mary's Penrith Cougars
Henson Park
7:30pm

The fixture is a 2 v 7 Qualifying Final. A win for the Jets will put them through to the preliminary final in a fortnight and eliminate the Cougars. A win for the Cougars (not likely) will mean Newtown faces sudden death the following week in the preliminary semi-final.

Manfred Moore

Juniors
Nice work Jeffles.

Will be there with bells...can't wait!!!

But one question remains....

Will the Council allow the kiddies/dogs/frisbees on the ground at halftime or not?

Jeffles

Bench
Please note I edited the typo above.

Most likely, Henson Park Season Passes will NOT be accepted on Friday night. This would make things consistent with NRL finals where NRL season ticket holders do not get free entry into their team's home finals.

Re: having kids on at half time, there are concerns about the state of the ground. It is just a precaution. If you cannot go on the ground this Friday, things will go back to normal next year after the ground has a good rest. Most likely you would not be able to go on the ground on Friday. There are a several more event days left at Henson Park this year.

Jeffles

Bench
I hope we get a good turnout. I hope people understand how fortunate qwe are to have this home final. Since the NSWRL VB Premier League is so closely aligned to the NRL, this is quite a fluke. Think about all the lucky breaks Newtown got for us to be in this position.

1) We finished top four.
2) The Sydney Roosters NRL team did not make the finals.
3) There are two out of NSW NRL finals.
4) The two NSW based NRL finals feature teams that have made the PL finals and won't play Newtown.
5) The NRL affiliate of Newtown's opponents did not make the finals.
6) Henson Park was deemed a suitable venue

Any one of those above circumstances may have meant playing a final somewhere else. Thankfully the planets have aligned and Newtown is rewarded.

bluebag43

Juniors
2TB,

I suggest we get together around on the Hill down near the seats with our flags, streamers and our voices. Time to get serious! This is where the real confederate Newtown army stands up. HPH I expect your support, get as many mates there as possible!

Jeffles

Bench
Publicise the game everybody. We need a big turnout. Let's show the League they made the right decision. Up the Jets.

2 True Blues

Coach
bluebag43 said:
2TB,

I suggest we get together around on the Hill down near the seats with our flags, streamers and our voices. Time to get serious! This is where the real confederate Newtown army stands up. HPH I expect your support, get as many mates there as possible!

Sounds like a plan mate. !!! I am ready. Put in for annual leave a year ago for just this moment mate !!!

2 True Blues

Coach
So we should meet up in front of the hill canteen area before the game guys, or has someone got a better possie in mind !!!

bucks1972

Juniors
The side that has been announced is phenominally strong for this game. I have a really good feeling about this years competition!
Teams is:
Kirk
Malcolm
Dumas
Mellars
Lai
Lewis
Soward
Hall
L'Estrange
Tonga
Mickey Paea
Lopini Paea
Abusson
Bench:
Manua
Luke Gordon
Schubert
Burns

2 True Blues

Coach
Good lineup mate. Bring it on !!!!!!!:thumb Tough to spot a few who have not yet played first grade in that team.....