What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Home Semi

CSFC

Juniors
Watching the broncos storm game tonight and they were saying if Melbourne finish 4th they get a home semi in melbourne.

I heard the other day if Sharks finish 4th our home semi is at ANZ stadium?

How does the whole home semi thing work? Why do some teams actually get their home ground? And some don't?

Why can't we have a home semi at Remondis?

Vin Fizz

Bench
Regional home grounds. Been that way for a few years and is always controversial. Ie we benefited when we played the Hartleys 2 years ago at Allianz when on the home ground advantage biso of the past it would have been Brooky. Places that have one team will of course get to play at their home ground. All Sydney teams play at Allianz or ANZ.

glenmoresharkie

First Grade
1st and 2nd get home ground

3rd and 4th get home city.

So for example if Manly and Penrith finished 1 and 2, they would get home ground finals and then if us and Tigers finished 3rd and 4th they'd play at Allianz and ANZ.

shaggs

Coach
Melbourne will get a home city semi if they finish 5th or 6th.

If they finish 4th they play the roosters at their home city

As I understand it, if top four remains and top two teams win, melboure and north Queensland will both get home semis against winners of sudden death games

TheFrog

Coach
1st and 2nd get home ground

3rd and 4th get home city.

So for example if Manly and Penrith finished 1 and 2, they would get home ground finals and then if us and Tigers finished 3rd and 4th they'd play at Allianz and ANZ.
Incorrect. Manly (2nd) played Souths (3rd) at Allianz last year. Sydney teams hone finals are always at Allianz or ANZ.

cb4

First Grade
If we finish 4th, and lose to the Roosters, we will play week 2 at home at SFS or ANZ. Week 3 would be away.

If we beat the Roosters we will play week 3 at home at SFS or ANZ.

--------------------------------------

If we finish 5th or 6th we will play at home at SFS or ANZ.

Week 2 and 3 we would be away.

----------------------------------------

If we finish 7th we will be away every week.

cb4

First Grade
Depends. If we play the Rabbitohs away at ANZ it is away. If we play the Roosters away at SFS it is away.

Every team in the finals will technically be able to host a home final, except us.

glenmoresharkie

First Grade
Depends. If we play the Rabbitohs away at ANZ it is away. If we play the Roosters away at SFS it is away.

Every team in the finals will technically be able to host a home final, except us.

What about St George?

They only play at ANZ Stadium once a blue moon

Only if you wind up playing a team who finished below you on the ladder. The NRL changed the rules for the 2014 finals series. The top ranked team always gets the "home" designation regardless. So if 1 or 2 lose in week 1, they still get to be the home team in week 2 and (if they win) in week 3.

SharkShocked

Bench
Only if you wind up playing a team who finished below you on the ladder. The NRL changed the rules for the 2014 finals series. The top ranked team always gets the "home" designation regardless. So if 1 or 2 lose in week 1, they still get to be the home team in week 2 and (if they win) in week 3.

Are you sure that's right?

I was pretty confident that if we won week 2 we get a home city/region preliminary.

I thought you only retained the home region for week 2 if you lost week 1 when in the top 4.

Are you sure that's right?

I was pretty confident that if we won week 2 we get a home city/region preliminary.

I thought you only retained the home region for week 2 if you lost week 1 when in the top 4.

I was, but after looking at the NRL's website and their finals explanation page for the 2014 finals series it would appear I'm wrong.

Card Shark

Immortal
If we finish 4th, and lose to the Roosters, we will play week 2 at home at SFS or ANZ. Week 3 would be away.

--------------------------------------

If we finish 5th or 6th we will play at home at SFS or ANZ.

Week 2 and 3 we would be away.

----------------------------------------

If we finish 7th we will be away every week.

Good explanation.

Besides the obvious advantage of a 2nd bite of the cherry coming 4th, the other big advantage is if if we lose, the next week is in Sydney.

If we came 5th or 6th (Melbourbe get 4th) & we win week 1, in week 2, we'd be off to Townsville, Brisbane or Melbourne (or Allianz V the Roosters).

f**k that. Win this week & it becomes so much easier.

SharkShocked

Bench
Let me preface this post by saying i am not for one minute assuming we will beat Manly and finish 4th or getting ahead of myself, but after crystal balling this morning and reading some tweets/posts I'm confused and want clarification.

I like to think of myself as pretty switched on when it comes to the rules and finals formats. But i'll tell you, i'm f**king confused.

I thought exactly as cb4 has written until someone else challenged the assertion that we immediately gain a home region final in week 3. So i started looking at the NRL Ladder Predictor and the NRL Finals System Explained.

When i plug it in to the Ladder Predictor and when i read the information below in regard to the explanation of the finals system on the NRL page, i'm stumped. Because this is what it shows me in Week 3.

I have laid out the following and kept the positions team finished in the top 8 just as reference point, obviously with the home team listed first.

Week 1
(1) Roosters v Sharks(4) - Sharks win
(2) Broncos v Cowboys (3) - Cowboys win
(5) Storm v Dragons (8) - Storm win
(6) Dogs v Rabbits (7) - Dogs win

Week 2
(1) Roosters v Storm (5) - Roosters Win
(2) Brisbane v Dogs (6) - Brisbane Win

Week 3
(1) Roosters v Cowboys(3)
(2) Broncos v Sharks(4)

I have plugged in the above results and it shows Week 3 that we would be away to Brisbane. It also shows that the Cowboys who should get a home preliminary would be away to the Roosters.

http://www.nrl.com/NRLHQ/ReferenceCentre/FinalsSystemExplained/tabid/10635/Default.aspx

"Week Three: Preliminary Finals
The highest qualifying teams in each match (winners 1 & 2) will host in their home Region."

^ Above statement confuses me, because the highest qualifying team in the match, would be Roosters and Broncos if its based on the round 26 standings.

Is Apollo correct with his statement and is the NRL Ladder Predictor showing it correctly on their official website... or is it as i previously believed as cb4 stated, that if we win week 1 we would get a Week 3 home region prelim?

I remember obviously under the old system format that when Melbourne won back through to Week 3 we played them at the SFS after they were ranked 1 and lost....But if the finals system has changed I'm not sure if that is relevant.

Latest posts