What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Home Semi

Card Shark

Immortal
If the Roosters or Brisbane lose in week 1, surely that forfeits their home ground advantage in week 3, if they get there. They will get home ground advantage again in week 2.

Winners 1 & 2 would be the Cowboys & Sharks in your example.

SharkShocked

Bench
See, that's exactly what i thought, but because it says winners 1 and 2 - i wasn't sure if they are referring to the team rankings in their example.

Last edited:

Card Shark

Immortal
Winners 3 & 4 are Storm & Bulldogs.

Losers 1 & 2 are Roosters & Broncos.

Losers 3 & 4 are Rabbitohs & Dragons.

Ace-STi

Juniors
If the Roosters or Brisbane lose in week 1, surely that forfeits their home ground advantage in week 3, if they get there. They will get home ground advantage again in week 2.

Winners 1 & 2 would be the Cowboys & Sharks in your example.

Correct

Week 3 finals go to winner of first weeks top 4 winners

SharkShocked

Bench
That's what i thought previously Cardy and i'm glad you've reinforced that in my head.

I'm not sure why the NRL Ladder Predictor shows different. Would've thought they'd be smart enough to code that correctly.

Then again this is the NRL we are speaking about. Hence my doubting my own understanding.

ghoti

Bench
From all the combinations I see, we really need to be in the Top 4 and beat the Roosters (obviously favourable anyway)...but this is the only way we can avoid Melbourne and Brisbane who are the two teams I don't think we can beat without being right at our best. No apologies for a dud kicking game or stilted attack from them.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
How does that work?

1 (home) vs 4 (away)
2 (home) vs 3 (away)
5 (home) vs 8 (away)
6 (home) vs 7 (away)

Week 1 home grounds
Week 2 home cities
Week 3 home regions

http://m.nrl.com/NRLHQ/ReferenceCentre/FinalsSystemExplained/tabid/10635/Default.aspx

I think the way it was designed was
1st and 2nd - two home games, a second chance, and need 2 wins to reach the GF
3rd and 4th - one home game (either a semi-final if they lose their qualifying final or a preliminary final if they win their qualifying final), a second chance, and need 2 wins to reach the GF
5th and 6th - one home game, no chances, and need 3 wins to reach the GF
7th and 8th - No home games, no chances, and need 3 wins to reach the GF

SharkShocked

Bench
From all the combinations I see, we really need to be in the Top 4 and beat the Roosters (obviously favourable anyway)...but this is the only way we can avoid Melbourne and Brisbane who are the two teams I don't think we can beat without being right at our best. No apologies for a dud kicking game or stilted attack from them.

Unless Brisbane lose and then win through to face us.

Card Shark

Immortal

I think we can beat Brisbane, Melbourne rolled through them last night.

If we face Melbourne though, I'd have no confidence in a win, we just seem to be their bunnies. If we can hold onto 4th, 1 of the other teams might knock them out for us.

Inferno

Coach
It's the wrestle in their play. It completely stifles our 1 out style of footy which relies on individual players getting over the advantage line.

eddiesmith

Juniors
Best case scenario is we win and the Dogs win so Storm finish 6th and we don't have to worry about them until Prelim at the earliest...

At the same time a loss and finishing 6th is not the worst thing, an easy 1st up match v Rabbitohs then a trip to Townsville against perennial chokers the Cowboys followed by a Sydney game v Roosters or Dogs

Worst case is probably as it stands, finish 5th, smash Dragons then face Storm in Melbourne, survive and get Donkeys in Brisbane!

As for Prelim hosting, I'm worried now because the way the system is designed is winner of 1 v 4 and 2 v 3 gets home ground advantage, but seeing some other concern and the ladder predictor, who knows? I found the same thing doing the ladder predictor that Week 3 seemed wrong!

txta2

First Grade
So these merkins in Melbourne are having a sook about 5 day turn arounds. Sharks will play Rooters on Friday night if they win. That's 5 days yet Rooters get 7?!that is f**king unfair considering its finals and a the Broncos get a leg up as well. The deal with channel 9 is looking more bullshit by the day

Last edited:

Madsharkie

First Grade
Finish 4th, we surely face Roosters without Maloney. Surely a week for a deliberate trip. This is great. Happening every week in our favour.

Might be missing Dylan Napa too (seemed like an accidental crusher, put on report).

Panda Power 78

Juniors
Sorry Eddie, back to the drawing board.

The Dogs cannot overtake the Storm.

Yeah , no matter what happens in our game , Canterbury have little to play for - come 5th play St George / Illawarra at ANZ , come 6th play Souths at ANZ - I guess they'll know what they have do but it'd be very tempting for them to rest some of their big forwards.

Panda Power 78

Juniors
So these merkins in Melbourne are having a sook about 5 day turn arounds. Sharks will play Rooters on Friday night if they win. That's 5 days yet Rooters get 7?!that is f**king unfair considering its finals and a the Broncos get a leg up as well. The deal with channel 9 is looking more bullshit by the day

Last year's 1 v 4 game was on Saturday night , they'll put the Brissy v NQ on Friday but even if they don't , we can't whinge - Easts have come 1st , they've earned an advantage.

Latest posts