What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Honest thoughts on Anasta's move

Moffo

Referee
Look, i take the piss a lot. I admit that. I won't be taking the piss below

Anasta was never going to stay with our club. He wouldn't have got the money he wanted and as a professional person who derives income from what he does, I don't blame him. I'd jump firms tomorrow if I was offered a substantial amount more, as would most

The thing that gets on my nerves is the perceived lack of talent distribution. I'll be honest, dogs and roosters are bitter rivals and it will pain me to see Anasta in the rooster colours next year. I've been a fan since day one when he ran out against Manly and carved them up a few years back, so yes, it does cut a bit. I was resigned to seeing him go but it hurts that a struggling club such as Souths have missed out to a club that is overflowing with stars who have already been ripped away from other clubs. I thought the salary cap was there to stop this sort of thing happening

Look, good luck to him, I'm sure he will be successful at the roosters. But to those who didn't expect people such as myself to vent our collective spleens when this happened, wake up to yourself. We are as passionate as any other club when it comes to support and for us it would be akin to Sterlo walking out with a dogs jersey on or Steve Waugh donning the kiwi hat

I just need to have the faith that Gallop is watching this closely and working 24/7 at further improving the talent distribution scheme. Be it a draft or some other methodology that involves the salary cap, I can only hope that something is going on....

Cheers,
Moffo

Dog-E

Juniors
Points system for rep players is the ONLY way to do that....can only have a certain amount - then u can't sign any more.

Generous discounts for rep players that break thru after being with the club (juniors included) for 5 years, say (just for eg).

This is no 'magic wand' however - because then u will eventually see a culture develop where the likes of the Roosters will be offering tens of thousands for 10 and 12 year olds for the promise of 'future' contracts...but at least that will take a WHILE for the rot to set in there...

ONE thing is clear - the CURRENT cap - needs an overhaul...and FAST!!!

Enoughsaid

Juniors
Now we can all see why RYAN was the Captain in the grand final last year....
Braith was always leaving...

Dogs Of War

Coach
A points system is crap. Players get rewarded for playing well, and you tend to look better when your team is performing well, thus you are more likely to get select at a representive level.

I think the salary cap is just starting to take it's effect. Just look at the turnover of players at teams. But it's not all about the salary cap, you have to create a culture of success. For Souths this will come, but it will take time. Just like the tigers and cowboys have done, it will take good juniors to come through the club, then some bigger name players will want to join as they can see that the club is on the rise.

It would have been nice for Anasta to go to Souths, but he felt that they were not ready. But as I said, their time will come, who knows, once his contract has finished with the Roosters, Souths may have the team to entice someone like him to their club.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Increase post count?

Who knows, who cares.

Ironically his club is a chronic salary cap victim yet he's being totally arrogant about the whole situation. Ah well, each to their own.

That said, on Moffo's thoughts I totally agree. :D

gregstar

Referee
Dodger said:
Ironically his club is a chronic salary cap victim yet he's being totally arrogant about the whole situation. Ah well, each to their own.
it's annoying to see good players sacrificed for the cap - but if it generates a competitive comp, so be it.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Yes, because having the same team in the Grand Final for 4 out of 5 yrs is competitive... :rolleyes:

The only saving grace is that the pricks only won it once.

Lenny_2212

Juniors
huge huge huge loss for the dogs. imho, anasta has been the form 5/8th this season, and is playing better than he did in his debut year. the kid has some talent!

i want to see the dogs rue this, but then i dont want the roosters to benefit.

Harold Bishop

Juniors
I think i remember that game when Anasta Debuted,was it in the Northern Eagles Era? I Think i remember a night when Gimmemorely gave him a few esy intercept tries.

gregstar

Referee
Dodger said:
Yes, because having the same team in the Grand Final for 4 out of 5 yrs is competitive... :rolleyes:

The only saving grace is that the pricks only won it once.
so a coach who managed to squeeze every ounce of talent out of that roster had nothing to do with it?
remember how much a good coach has to do with it. if money was that important, souths would have anasta wouldn't they?
a team is entitled to play in as many grand finals as their talent & coach can take them.

Dog-E

Juniors
Dogs Of War said:
A points system is crap. Players get rewarded for playing well, and you tend to look better when your team is performing well, thus you are more likely to get select at a representive level.

I think the salary cap is just starting to take it's effect. Just look at the turnover of players at teams. But it's not all about the salary cap, you have to create a culture of success. For Souths this will come, but it will take time. Just like the tigers and cowboys have done, it will take good juniors to come through the club, then some bigger name players will want to join as they can see that the club is on the rise.

It would have been nice for Anasta to go to Souths, but he felt that they were not ready. But as I said, their time will come, who knows, once his contract has finished with the Roosters, Souths may have the team to entice someone like him to their club.

The main problem is though - we are seeing players - GOOD players - increasingly ounger & younger players...NOT going to struggling clubs.

Instead, going to the UK or defecting to Yawnion.

And MOST alrmingly of all - This starting to also ring true in junior ranks as well as senior!!! :eek:

This kind of player drain is unsustainable in the long term!....Something HAS to be done!...And the SOONER somethig is done...the sooner this 'level playing field' everyone keeps talking about (But that I have yet to see ANY evidence of WHATsoever!!) will start to form!

The rep points idea is just ONE facet...other things need to change too ie extended junior and loyalty discounts, and extended sponsorship opportunities etc etc etc.

Any one thing is NOT going to fix this dog's brekkie (no pun intended) of a system!!!

iggy plop

First Grade
Anasta and Wing never playing for Souths again - that's gotta hurt more.

Dogs fans may be sad to see him leave, but that is incomparable to what Souths fans must be feeling. If only they weren't kicked out of the comp.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Dog-E said:
The main problem is though - we are seeing players - GOOD players - increasingly ounger & younger players...NOT going to struggling clubs.

Instead, going to the UK or defecting to Yawnion.

And MOST alrmingly of all - This starting to also ring true in junior ranks as well as senior!!! :eek:

That is more symptimatic of the salary cap being too low. Players only get one go at their career and they need to take whatever money they can get.

Hopefully this new TV deal will see the salary cap start to rise so we can keep this next generation of players, playing in Australia.

LRC

Build it and they will come..
Souths should have spent a fortune on a coach with some sort of NRL profile instead of the untested in NRL Benny Hill lok a like..

This is what the roosters did in 1994 and this laid the platform for the position they are in today...they got the best coach for the time who had a relationship with the best player and they got the best financial manager available also to rebuild the platform of the club...the rest followed.

aussies1st

Staff member
Dogs Of War said:

I agree the salary cap seems to work well, with teams unable to keep all their good players like the bulldogs and panthers. Without it teams like the tigers, cowboys and sea eagle wouldn't be where they are now.

gaterooze

Bench
What gets me is when Braith said that Souths not signing any big names influenced his decision, and that going to Souths alone would be "a massive risk" -- news flash, sunshine, everyone was waiting on YOU to decide first.

Jesus, have some balls Braith.