What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hook’s Days Numbered?

BLM01

First Grade
Haha the end is nigh for Hook. However it also should signal the end of those morons who extended his contract for a year. He cannot coach and should not have been signed in the first place, but this joint of desperados have nfi about running a “professional” sporting outfit. No wonder no one of any substance wants anything to do with the place.
He cannot coach?. His record before coming here suggested otherwise when they signed him
In hindsight it is not looking great now, but back then....

qld redvee

Juniors
one of our major problems is going to be attracting new players to replace those that should be moved on
alvaro / faamausili / woods / simms / ford / gosiewski / mcguire - should all go
michael molo and jayden hunt currently both on trial should come into the squad so we have to go out and get a few proven in their prime first graders to replace. And we need a more than competent reserve coach and assisstants to come on board .... Its going to be an interesting couple of weeks isnt it guys ............

Brutalitops

Juniors
Hook should go back to getting drunk, watching Sky News and putting out problematic tweets. We have a better squad, with more individual players in form than previous years but as he did with Penrith, he coached the footy out of us.

Later mate

whatever the club needs to do , go all in for bellyache at seasons end

The bloke catted out of coaching NSW when it was a bit too tough.

Do yourself a favour and stop dreaming of pie in the sky stuff like this. When he stops coaching Storm, he’ll stop coaching.

Bellamy coaching the Dragons in the Gong?

Ploiz.

The club couldn’t even “go all out” for more than 4 people serving beers at the first home game at Kogarah this year. Let’s keep it real.

Last edited:

Cazbah Steeler

Juniors
Seriously though, the options for caretaker or even to take over are more of a 'be careful what you wish for' than trying to find the messiah.
Paying out Hook would not allow for a big name with probably only Flanno who would be willing to resurrect his coaching career at a reduced rate. We have 2 internal candidates of course, one being Matt Head, who has been groomed for this role for some time, and Gentle, who's record isn't flash either.

Dreams of hiring a supercoach are just that, dreams.
Head and Gentle would be worst than Hook

Dragon David

First Grade
Oh Dave , not you whom was born and bred in the heart of Dragon territory . We will all go to our graves as Dragon supporters , it could be a good thing as it may help us get pass that man with the long white beard at the Pearly Gates . 😇

But to Griffin possibly being sacked is a bit too much to believe for mine , more so from our pro-active board who have made such long strides forward to the continued success of the Dragons over the last 10 or so years .

I am not saying that he doesn’t need to pick his game up in the coming weeks as blind freddy can see that , but just who would they replace him with ? And the players who are supposedly on their way out , who will replace them ?

We missed the boat last year as far as both coach and players were concerned , all that remains are slim-pickings and then of course you have our board of imbeciles itself .
Sorry - I've been watching the final day of the US Masters and my prediction of Scottie Scheffler winning it looks like happening. Our Cameron Smith has stuffed up and is gooooone.

Anyway back to what i was going to write.

It is all a Catch 22 and a Conundrum of the highest order Gareth.

The Joint Venture has meandered along the many roads since its' inception in 1999. There were some roads that lead us to grand finals in 1999 which we lost and 2010 which we won. There were a couple of roads that enabled the JV to become minor premiers and reaching the top 8. However, there have been so many roads that have lead us to dead ends with nowhere to go but backwards. Our business has not been anywhere near a profitable venture over the past 23 years overall. The losses overweigh the profits so to speak.

The course that the club has got to take to get us going in a positive direction from say 2023 and onwards has to start from hard decisions being made NOW by the BODs and CEO about our coaching staff, ineffective and non contributing players, employing really competent conditioning and training personnel, ensuring that all people are accountable to ensure they contribute to the success of the club and so many more things. In all, a very monstrous task and in many ways a very emotional task where there are people involved.

A lot would say that we should give Hook more time but time for what really? We don't have the cattle, Hook isn't able to get things right with the little man management skills he seems to have. We have come to another dead end I'm afraid.

denis preston

First Grade
I mentioned Cameron Smith in another post. Got to see how he goes being an assistant for Slater for the Maroons SOO team. He lives up north with his family so I think they have settled and might be too hard to lure him down to us but anything is possible.
You answered your own question. His ego would destroy a side.

denis preston

First Grade
Wont happen , Hook only needs to win a couple of games in a row then everyone will go quiet , thats what the club are waiting for or they will look like compete jerks for giving Hook an extention before the season kick off ......
True but dependent if we make the 8 the club will makes inquiries for a coach for next season. Geez all this happened so quickly .

The_Frog

First Grade
This is just your regular media talk, the truth is the side have had a tough draw over the last month and would not have been expected to win any of the games they lost. It's the manner of the defeats that's a problem, very little resistance shown, very un-StGeorge like. But you only need to beat the bottom 8 to make the top 8 and that should be the focus.

denis preston

First Grade
Sorry - I've been watching the final day of the US Masters and my prediction of Scottie Scheffler winning it looks like happening. Our Cameron Smith has stuffed up and is gooooone.

Anyway back to what i was going to write.

It is all a Catch 22 and a Conundrum of the highest order Gareth.

The Joint Venture has meandered along the many roads since its' inception in 1999. There were some roads that lead us to grand finals in 1999 which we lost and 2010 which we won. There were a couple of roads that enabled the JV to become minor premiers and reaching the top 8. However, there have been so many roads that have lead us to dead ends with nowhere to go but backwards. Our business has not been anywhere near a profitable venture over the past 23 years overall. The losses overweigh the profits so to speak.

The course that the club has got to take to get us going in a positive direction from say 2023 and onwards has to start from hard decisions being made NOW by the BODs and CEO about our coaching staff, ineffective and non contributing players, employing really competent conditioning and training personnel, ensuring that all people are accountable to ensure they contribute to the success of the club and so many more things. In all, a very monstrous task and in many ways a very emotional task where there are people involved.

A lot would say that we should give Hook more time but time for what really? We don't have the cattle, Hook isn't able to get things right with the little man management skills he seems to have. We have come to another dead end I'm afraid.
The fundamental major problem is that the Board is not judged by the football club's performances . As long as the Leagues club turns a profit is all they care about. God knows what the WIN ownership means but going by history Gordon senior lets junior use the football club as his play thing but ensures he doesn't lose too much money in doing so ( hence the bargain buys ) Very dysfunctional ownership would you say ?