What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hook’s Days Numbered?

slippery5

Juniors
So you are saying that if by some chance Bellyache wanted to continue to take up this challenge, Melbourne would stop him ??
Yes mate, he has signed to be with the Storm in an assistant capacity of some kind & will fly to Melbourne a couple of times a week from the Gold Coast. That is why the spine have resigned. So everyone can stop wishing for that.....

Illusion

Bench
RUGBY

Blog with Hoops, Anthony Griffin, St George Illawarra Dragons, Tyrell Sloan, Junior Amone, Round 6​

April 11, 2022 - by mommys-university.com - Leave a Comment

Ask Hoops questions below from 3.00pm AEDT.
Here’s a doozy. What do the Red V army think of how St George Illawarra are performing after the opening five rounds?
It’s on the record some very good rugby league judges are shaking their heads about Dragons coach Anthony Griffin’s selection decisions around young guns Tyrell Sloan and Junior Amone.
Stream every game of every round of the 2022 NRL Telstra Premiership Season Live & Ad-Break Free During Play on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14 days free now.
And what about the Dragons call to trigger an additional season on Griffin’s current contract for 2023 before a ball had even been kicked?
The argument is St George Illawarra wanted stability so by extending Griffin for another season they avoid the weekly round of questions about the coach’s future in every press conference.
But after four consecutive losses the heat is now well and truly on the Dragons and how they dig their way out of the hole they’ve created.
St George Illawarra are the worst defensive team in the NRL leaking an average of 28.8 points per game.
Yet defense is the reason why rookie fullback Sloan has been sent back to the NSW Cup and Griffin has made his name as a coach who can instil a defensive system capable of piloting teams towards the finals.
MORE NRL NEWS
TALKING POINTS: Tigers hit historic new low; Walker problem Souths must solve
‘HAS GOT A COUPLE OF WEEKS’: Days numbered for embattled Tigers coach
ASSAULT CHARGES DROPPED: Milford’s NRL exile set to end
CASUALTY WARD: Carnage for Knights as injury list grows to EIGHT

shiloh dc

Juniors
Oh, we really hope that he’s leaving
And that he's gonna go
We supporters have our reasons
And we just want him to know
'Cos for twenty odd months
We’ve been living next door to Anthony
Twenty odd months just waiting for a chance
To tell him how we feel, and deny a second dance
Now we all love to get used to not living next door to Anthony..

Illusion

Bench
Oh, we really hope that he’s leaving
And that he's gonna go
We supporters have our reasons
And we just want him to know
'Cos for twenty odd months
We’ve been living next door to Anthony
Twenty odd months just waiting for a chance
To tell him how we feel, and deny a second dance
Now we all love to get used to not living next door to Anthony..
Your a Poet and you didn't even know it ....... 😀

denis preston

First Grade
My betting is he will get a stay of execution say another 6 or so games now that we are playing the bottom sides. He will also have to make the Board believe that his PLAN will work ( whatever that is ) . Look for stripping of powers such as team selections , when that happens the fat lady is gurgling. The club needs time for a successor and the only option would be Flanagan to take on a temporary role with the view that marked improvement may put him at the top of the list for the permanent job.

How does Haran escape any scrutiny in all this ?

Gareth67

First Grade
Sorry - I've been watching the final day of the US Masters and my prediction of Scottie Scheffler winning it looks like happening. Our Cameron Smith has stuffed up and is gooooone.

Anyway back to what i was going to write.

It is all a Catch 22 and a Conundrum of the highest order Gareth.

The Joint Venture has meandered along the many roads since its' inception in 1999. There were some roads that lead us to grand finals in 1999 which we lost and 2010 which we won. There were a couple of roads that enabled the JV to become minor premiers and reaching the top 8. However, there have been so many roads that have lead us to dead ends with nowhere to go but backwards. Our business has not been anywhere near a profitable venture over the past 23 years overall. The losses overweigh the profits so to speak.

The course that the club has got to take to get us going in a positive direction from say 2023 and onwards has to start from hard decisions being made NOW by the BODs and CEO about our coaching staff, ineffective and non contributing players, employing really competent conditioning and training personnel, ensuring that all people are accountable to ensure they contribute to the success of the club and so many more things. In all, a very monstrous task and in many ways a very emotional task where there are people involved.

A lot would say that we should give Hook more time but time for what really? We don't have the cattle, Hook isn't able to get things right with the little man management skills he seems to have. We have come to another dead end I'm afraid.

Excellent post D.D. you have highlighted the major obstacles that are - and have been hindering the Dragons
chances of success both on and off the field .

Gareth67

First Grade
For me it’s not the fact that they are losing. It’s HOW they are losing. They literally looked like a bad under 10’s team against Souths. Woeful defence, insipid attack. Insanely stupid last tackle options, repeatedly.
There’s just something very broken in that team.
Have said that on a number of occasions in the past myself since77. They are at times worse than a school boy team , but their lack of heart is what truly gets to me .

Last edited:

mickeylane

Bench

Tomorrows team selection will show if Hook is going to have a chance of staying. Lose the next two games and I’d say he’s a goner. As stated above it all stars with the hooker and ours is know good, so either put Hunt at 9 or some how get Mulhusen into the 30. Maybe show Sims or Alvero the door. TBH I’m f**ked if I really care but just do something.
Yes I reckon Hook is gone if he drops next 2 games and Flanagan in until end of the year w 12 month option .. this is clear as day the clubs potential direction if they need to get rid of Hook ..

Illusion

Bench
Yes I reckon Hook is gone if he drops next 2 games and Flanagan in until end of the year w 12 month option .. this is clear as day the clubs potential direction if they need to get rid of Hook ..
So If thats the go Im happy to drop the next couple of games ......

Dragon David

First Grade
Excellent post D.D. you have highlighted the major obstacles that are - and have been hindering the Dragons
chances of success both on and off the field .
Thanks Gareth. The big wigs of the Joint Venture, and I dare say some might be wearing them, are scratching their heads again and again and that has got nothing to do with dandruff.

The coaching problem keeps rearing its ugly head (here I go again with this head thing - aah maybe the club should put Matty Head in as our "head" coach), it should have been sorted when Mary left but oh no the dunces wanted to save a bit of coin and put in old head Hook. Nobody else really stood a chance, not that there were many applicants and I am guessing that they tried to get someone or other but were knocked back and as a result, instead of looking a "head" for really the best person, they opted for Mr Hook who might be destined to have his head thrown out via the back door.

I'm just so glad that the problem isn't mine to sort out because the next dilemma is picking Hook's replacement and this might cause a stir down one of those dead end roads I have referred to in my earlier post. The next time has got to be the right time and the right time is for next year but they have to do their homework followed by meaningful negotiations to get the best and I mean the best man for the job otherwise .... another head is out the door and we go back to first base again which would be a disaster of the biggest order.

justadragon

Bench
Thanks Gareth. The big wigs of the Joint Venture, and I dare say some might be wearing them, are scratching their heads again and again and that has got nothing to do with dandruff.

The coaching problem keeps rearing its ugly head (here I go again with this head thing - aah maybe the club should put Matty Head in as our "head" coach), it should have been sorted when Mary left but oh no the dunces wanted to save a bit of coin and put in old head Hook. Nobody else really stood a chance, not that there were many applicants and I am guessing that they tried to get someone or other but were knocked back and as a result, instead of looking a "head" for really the best person, they opted for Mr Hook who might be destined to have his head thrown out via the back door.

I'm just so glad that the problem isn't mine to sort out because the next dilemma is picking Hook's replacement and this might cause a stir down one of those dead end roads I have referred to in my earlier post. The next time has got to be the right time and the right time is for next year but they have to do their homework followed by meaningful negotiations to get the best and I mean the best man for the job otherwise .... another head is out the door and we go back to first base again which would be a disaster of the biggest order.
totally agree DD but i just think that Flanagan is not the answer, if he was that good why didnt he get picked up after his suspension. There is just something about his whole past that i dont like, look im happy to be proven wrong if he gets in , and hopefully leads the dragons out of this deep whole they are in.

justadragon

Bench
Hate Flanno but you have to admit. The bloke is ruthless and knows it’s about results. Right now it’s what we need. I actually think he was brought in as insurance in case hook didn’t last.
yes you are right he is ruthless, its just that he didnt do anything when he was the AC, im not sure that he will come in with a whole new approach than what we have, time will tell what happens

Lovemedragons

Juniors

Once a club has to go open market and call for applicants for a head coach then they are not being run right.

SaintPeter

Juniors
FFS just start a new hooker
One run for 3 meters. — please
The storm have two gun hookers and before that C Smith - Hello !!! Penny not dropped ???
Anybody with some toe.
Why not try Amone or Bird or Cody
Why hasn’t out club learnt from the successful clubs - Board ? Coach ? Or just plain dumb.
I’m thinking dumb