What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hook’s Days Numbered?

Phantom V

Juniors
I must admit, I was optimistic that the new look roster would jag us a few more wins this year. Unfortunately, that hasn’t been the case and we have had the worst start to a season that I can remember. We play like a rudderless rabble and I blame the coach for that. His selections at times have also been questionable and the fact that it’s been quoted that he coaches the footy out of them doesn’t surprise me. He has lost the dressing room already. Flanagan is a no brainer. Get it done!!

since77

Juniors
For me it’s not the fact that they are losing. It’s HOW they are losing. They literally looked like a bad under 10’s team against Souths. Woeful defence, insipid attack. Insanely stupid last tackle options, repeatedly.
There’s just something very broken in that team.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I can't possibly give that post a "like" but it tells the story doesn't it. Those stats are just unacceptable.
Nothing to like so I agree. There's no point sugar coating it.
If things don't improve quick smart, Griffin's position will be become untenable.
This Club board, they make the appointments... Saints sacking coaches mid-season used to be unheard of.

mxlegend99

Referee
Broncos sacked him because Bennett agreed to return.

There is still argument as to why Panthers sacked him and no-one is really quite sure, except perhaps the principal players involved, although many seem to think they know. The side was running equal 4th at the time, a month out from the finals. The following year under Cleary they ran 10th.
Took Ivan a year to undo all the footy that had been coached out of the players and get them playing actual footy again.

Ivan needed to do a mini rebuild aswell. Not all the players we had suited his style or bought into it atleast. Hook gutted the roster of players who played what they saw and/or coached it out of the ones who stayed. Ivan then took Panthers to back to back grand finals with a victory in the second grand final. Is sitting undefeated this year.

He has done this with an incredibly high turnover of players too. But it's what he has done to guys like Cleary, Edwards, Yeo etc. That's truly impressive. Although Ivan's biggest achievement wasn't winning the premiership. It was turn Luke Brooks into the Dally M halfback of the year at Tigers.

Honestly no issues if people don't rate Ivan. But if you don't rate him it really puts into perspective how poorly Hook was performing at the club. Dragons are showing just how far off the pace he is. They don't have a premiership roster. But they should certainly be fighting for a top spot.

Illusion

Bench
Took Ivan a year to undo all the footy that had been coached out of the players and get them playing actual footy again.

Ivan needed to do a mini rebuild aswell. Not all the players we had suited his style or bought into it atleast. Hook gutted the roster of players who played what they saw and/or coached it out of the ones who stayed. Ivan then took Panthers to back to back grand finals with a victory in the second grand final. Is sitting undefeated this year.

He has done this with an incredibly high turnover of players too. But it's what he has done to guys like Cleary, Edwards, Yeo etc. That's truly impressive. Although Ivan's biggest achievement wasn't winning the premiership. It was turn Luke Brooks into the Dally M halfback of the year at Tigers.

Honestly no issues if people don't rate Ivan. But if you don't rate him it really puts into perspective how poorly Hook was performing at the club.
There has been 12 years of rubbish coaching at this club ..... Power game that Mary and now Hook has continued ......

merahputih

Juniors
For me the alarm bells for Hook really started ringing after BBQgate, which really showed the players' lack of fear and respect for him. plus his inability to get the side firing after that. I agree that Flanno is the only realistic alternative.

justadragon

Bench

Honestly no issues if people don't rate Ivan. But if you don't rate him it really puts into perspective how poorly Hook was performing at the club. Dragons are showing just how far off the pace he is. They don't have a premiership roster. But they should certainly be fighting for a top spot.
I agree with what you have said, it makes me wonder what our attacking coaches are doing, surely they would stand up for what needs to happen

Illusion

Bench
For me the alarm bells for Hook really started ringing after BBQgate, which really showed the players' lack of fear and respect for him. plus his inability to get the side firing after that. I agree that Flanno is the only realistic alternative.
Said the same in other post ......

justadragon

Bench
This was on NINE.COM.AU today,,,,,,says it all.

Look at all the good teams in the NRL and they have one thing in common - a hooker who can make quick yards out of dummy-half.

Melbourne have two of the best - and that's why they may well win the comp.

And then we have the Dragons. Veteran Andrew McCullough made just one run in 80 minutes against Souths on Saturday night - for a gain of three metres.

Little wonder the Dragons were beaten 24-12 and rarely threatened the Souths line.

The Rabbitohs were well below their best - but with the Dragons offering so little in attack, were never really in any danger.

The Dragons' record late last season and early this year is woeful and they are already just about dead and buried as far as finals footy is concerned.

hewi

Bench

Tomorrows team selection will show if Hook is going to have a chance of staying. Lose the next two games and I’d say he’s a goner. As stated above it all stars with the hooker and ours is know good, so either put Hunt at 9 or some how get Mulhusen into the 30. Maybe show Sims or Alvero the door. TBH I’m f**ked if I really care but just do something.