What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hooker

Tiger05

First Grade
Madge doesn’t disagree, the club forces his hand. Just have to look at what happened at Souths.

This is factually untrue. I get that Robbie has been pretty poor recently. I get that he probably isn't a consistent first grader at the moment.

He is being picked though by a coach who has clearly shown he doesn't give a toss about reputations or team harmony. He picks the best team that he sees available.

WA Tiger

Bench
I tend to agree it’s not working at its best at the moment however it hasn’t really been our biggest problem of late. I’d keep Liddle on the bench for a bit rotating with Robbie - our main issue relates to a lack of spark in the backs and limited forward grunt which neither Robbie or Liddle can fix.

I know this thread is about hookers but I will digress - id say about 5 of our starting 17 are first grade players at most other clubs. Mbye, Thompson, Esan, Benji, Robbie and Matterson. You could throw Brooks and Twal in but they haven’t been great in the past month so I’m a tad off them. And of the previous 6 I just mentioned, Esan and Mbye are terribly out of form.

All things considered we are doing very well but our main issues relate to having very few good backs and almost NO strong middle forwards.

We can thank Ivan for buying literal lemons on huge cash - if it wasn’t for Benji and Robbie our side would be up merkin creek because it would have not only limited talent but limited experience. This year those two, along with a few others, have saved us from looking like the Titans or Dogs.
I agree except I can’t see what all the fuss is about Liddle. At All. I thought they had resigned him...If not the only reason they are playing him is coz Madge thought he might be good so we didn’t lose him and game time for next year..but now we know he is isn’t much good...drop him from the team put Reynolds in as a back up hooker/impact player and to cover Benji if he gets injured...and then slot in ET if required..

Last edited:

leaguelegend21

Juniors
The notion that Madge doesn’t rate Robbie is ludicrous.

Madge personally bought Robbie to Souths, ahead of three major suitors at the time. Madge also has made Robbie an integral part of the team this year as he should be.

I seriously don’t get what the Farah haters are on about. What is it about his hooker play that is an issue? He passes well, makes all his tackles and kicks well.

If you are expecting zippy running like Damien Cook that is simply not possible. He doesn’t have the cattle at his disposal that Smith does to bring players into the ball so how can he do that either?

He is doing his role for the team well, has had a few blinders this year (he has approx 10 Dally M points - the third most for a hooker) and is doing a great job mentoring Liddle.

I get people can not like Robbie for his abrasive personality but he is still a strong first grader doing his job for the team.

WA Tiger

Bench
as far as I can see all we need from hooker is someone that can pass the ball see a gap have a really good kicking game and not stuff up under pressure...Surely Liddle would be signed by now if they wanted him

leaguelegend21

Juniors
The problem with Liddle is he does all the fancy stuff well and the basic stuff very poorly.

He can make a great linebreak or a good legs tackle, and then throws a forward pass or a simple knock on.

He is 23 now and this is his fourth year in first grade and he simply isn’t playing like a consistent first grader.

It’s also clear he can’t play 80 minutes because even at the end of his short stints these days he looks as gassed as a fat f**k after a root and starts making elementary errors (see knockon at the scumbase vs Souths).

Tiger05

First Grade
What is it about his hooker play that is an issue? He passes well, makes all his tackles and kicks well.

I couldn't care less about his personality. I don't think he is that bad. I think he lacks zip out of dummy half, his passing game is often poor (not always) and he comes up with poor options regularly.

He isn't terrible. It's just an area that we need to improve.

As for Liddle I think he looks likely but yes he has mistakes in his game. I think he needs more game time to judge if he is the right option.

Last edited:

leaguelegend21

Juniors
I couldn't care less about his personality. I don't think he is that bad. I think he lacks zip out of dummy half, his passing game is often poor (not always) and he comes up with poor options regularly.

He isn't terrible. It's just an area that we need to improve.

Your analysis is balanced on this topic and fair enough but many others like to make him a scapegoat because of who he is.

He does lack zip but so does every hooker in the comp bar Cook and Fainu/Koroisau. I feel he does his role and is a great leader so I don’t see it as a huge issue.

WA Tiger

Bench
As for Liddle I think he looks likely but yes he has mistakes in his game. I think he needs more game time to judge if he is the right option.
. I love your work but there is no more time ...we need Balls on and off the field Now!

Front-Rower

First Grade
Madge personally bought Robbie to Souths, ahead of three major suitors at the time. Madge also has made Robbie an integral part of the team this year as he should be.

His brother didn’t have anything to do with it??

The only quote I can find in relation to Maguire and Farah at Souths is that Maguire started that Farah brings experience and will push for a spot in the top 17.

Souths won 9 games in 2017, Farah played in 24 games, with half of these starting from the bench.

The next year he was banished to NSW Cup.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/rug...sion-on-nrl-future/ar-AAEIp29?ocid=spartanntp

Wests Tigers veteran Robbie Farah has given himself "a couple of weeks" to decide on whether to retire at the end of the NRL season.

Farah will join the exclusive 300-game club when the Tigers attempt to keep in touch with the top eight with Friday's road trip to Newcastle.

"I feel okay, but that (call is) obviously something I'll sit down in the next couple of weeks and come up with a decision," Farah said on Tuesday.

WA Tiger

Bench
It’s also clear he can’t play 80 minutes because even at the end of his short stints these days he looks as gassed as a fat f**k after a root and starts making elementary errors (see knockon at the scumbase vs Souths).
And Liddles pass to his Auntie in the stands last week. “There Auntie you can keep the ball”

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade
Your analysis is balanced on this topic and fair enough but many others like to make him a scapegoat because of who he is.

He does lack zip but so does every hooker in the comp bar Cook and Fainu/Koroisau. I feel he does his role and is a great leader so I don’t see it as a huge issue.

I agree with this as well. I don't understand blaming Robbie and Benji for the teams poor performances.

It seems pretty clear that Madge doesn't have a wrap on liddle. If he did he would have given him a chance to play 80 minutes to see how he goes. He hasn't done this, or re-signed him so the only conclusion you can draw is that he's off tap.

How old will that young bloke we signed from QLD be next year? I can only imagine he is plan A. If you're good enough you're old enough. Having said that no one is knocking on liddle's door so it looks like we can bide our time if we have to.

I think it would be best to move away from Farah and Marshall as respectfully as we can. The attributes that made them such great players are now gone. Age has caught up with them, as it does for everyone eventually.

macnaz

Staff member
I tend to agree it’s not working at its best at the moment however it hasn’t really been our biggest problem of late. I’d keep Liddle on the bench for a bit rotating with Robbie - our main issue relates to a lack of spark in the backs and limited forward grunt which neither Robbie or Liddle can fix.

I know this thread is about hookers but I will digress - id say about 5 of our starting 17 are first grade players at most other clubs. Mbye, Thompson, Esan, Benji, Robbie and Matterson. You could throw Brooks and Twal in but they haven’t been great in the past month so I’m a tad off them. And of the previous 6 I just mentioned, Esan and Mbye are terribly out of form.

All things considered we are doing very well but our main issues relate to having very few good backs and almost NO strong middle forwards.

We can thank Ivan for buying literal lemons on huge cash - if it wasn’t for Benji and Robbie our side would be up merkin creek because it would have not only limited talent but limited experience. This year those two, along with a few others, have saved us from looking like the Titans or Dogs.
Reduce that to 4 players . Esan is dogshit and wouldn't get a gig anywhere else .

gordsy

Juniors
The problems with this analysis is that Robbie is playing worse than Liddle and struggling with the game time he is getting.

I think Robbie needs to go and we need to give Liddle as much game time as possible.

We can play Mbye or Taylor there if Liddle needs a rest. Mbye into 9 and MCK into the centres or ET into 9. Surely he'd only need a 20 minute break every so often.

Robbie iesn't going great but you have to ask yourself how many years are we going to wait for Liddle to show he isn't made of glass adn when he will build up his fitness to play 80. I'd rather Robbie playing 80 than a Liddle / Mybe combo as that means a spot purely for Mybe on the bench as well as a util spot. Plus when has Mybe shown any talent at hooker. Why on earth would you play him instead of the young bloke from the Broncos ????

Tiger05

First Grade
Robbie iesn't going great but you have to ask yourself how many years are we going to wait for Liddle to show he isn't made of glass adn when he will build up his fitness to play 80. I'd rather Robbie playing 80 than a Liddle / Mybe combo as that means a spot purely for Mybe on the bench as well as a util spot. Plus when has Mybe shown any talent at hooker. Why on earth would you play him instead of the young bloke from the Broncos ????

Maybe we just have to throw Liddle in and see how he goes. I have no idea about the kid from the Broncos but I figure he has to play state cup and then we can make a call on him.

Let's wait and see what happens in relation to Robbie playing on. Hopefully this is his last season as he is looking past it. He has been great for us over a number of years and he loves the club.

Latest posts