What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hookers for next year

posible hookers next year who do you want

• Egan

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Katoa

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Egan and Katoa

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • player from out side club

Votes: 14 41.2%

• Total voters

martielang

Bench
Watching Damien Cook v the warriors. He is playing superbly and is a constant danger out of dummy half.

It makes you realise just how stuffed we are for hookers. They don't offer anything close to what Cook does. Boys v Men.

$800k v $150k.

Also helps when you have the Burgess boys & Tatola rolling forward.

soc123_au

Staff member
Katoa & Egan are a bust. We might as well play Coco from Venue 361, apparently a great ball handler.

Kilkenny

Coach
It’s not that long ago Wade Egan on here was being talked up as the next Cameron Smith.

Seriously we have issues now and have had for some time but our woes are not Katoa or Egan. We lack a quality front rower and offer nothing in our outside backs, it has been our Achilles heel for some time and a new dummy half will make no difference whatsoever.

mxlegend99

Referee
It’s not that long ago Wade Egan on here was being talked up as the next Cameron Smith.

Seriously we have issues now and have had for some time but our woes are not Katoa or Egan. We lack a quality front rower and offer nothing in our outside backs, it has been our Achilles heel for some time and a new dummy half will make no difference whatsoever.

That's absurd. A better hooker influences everyone around him. They touch the ball more than any other player and are responsible for getting quality ball to the right players at the right time.

You give the halves more space against retreating defences and suddenly the backline looks more dangerous. Likewise the forward pack. The hooker heavily influences the momentum they get to play with and can help boost all their contributions too. Shitty service means the halves and forwards are being smashed quickly and very limited in their ability to do their jobs.

Improving any position on the field makes a difference.

Panfa

Juniors
We have the worst back 3 in the competition at the moment chuck in some out of form halves and no go forward from our front row and theres our problems.Our backrow is keeping us in the games yeo kikau fish are our only shining lights this yr.

martielang

Bench
Its an absolute myth that Katoa doesn’t have good service. Very rarely misses the mark. His consistent distribution is probably one of his strengths tbh.

Kilkennys right though, if we had a Burgess brother (or similar) up front, someone that’s going to land on their front more often then not, Katoa & Egan wouldn’t cop the criticism they do.

Tamous been great this year but doesn’t normally get a quick play the ball, RCG backs into the line. If Leota could keep developing late foot work maybe he could be key, although not sure I trust his hands with a quick play the ball. Or we can just clone Kikau.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Its an absolute myth that Katoa doesn’t have good service. Very rarely misses the mark. His consistent distribution is probably one of his strengths tbh.

Kilkennys right though, if we had a Burgess brother (or similar) up front, someone that’s going to land on their front more often then not, Katoa & Egan wouldn’t cop the criticism they do.

Tamous been great this year but doesn’t normally get a quick play the ball, RCG backs into the line. If Leota could keep developing late foot work maybe he could be key, although not sure I trust his hands with a quick play the ball. Or we can just clone Kikau.

Nailed it. People saying Katoa doesn't run enough. It's hard to run when you don't win the ruck.

Panther Mick

Juniors
Nailed it. People saying Katoa doesn't run enough. It's hard to run when you don't win the ruck.

Thats fine to a point. But there are other opportunities to run he is missing.
Last week against the Tigers he ran for 4 metres from 2 hitups. 4 metres in 69 minutes!
Andrew Johns picked up on it last week just after half-time. We got a quick play the ball and Katoa had a golden chance to run an easy 10 -15 metres from a dummy half scoot. He didn't bother he took a step forward and passed it to a forward who ran half the distance.

Abacus

Juniors
If we're going to persist with Katoa, 2 things need to happen:
  1. Defensive technique - his tackling is abhorrent. Get Wal working with him to use his shoulder rather than the pitiful arm grabbing he's been getting away with for weeks. Get RCG into the same sessions too.
  2. 2nd hooker on the bench - he just doesn't have the stamina. Again, his game diminished after 25 minutes in the 1st half. His service gets erratic and defensively he starts to stat-stuff i.e. third man in for a lazy flop. No way he can play 80 dragging his fat arse around. Either get him fit or Egan needs to be on the bench. IMO, Egan's a better chance of becoming an 80 minute hooker.
The number of times I saw Katoa's service hit the runner's shoulder or hip the other night was a disgrace. The runner has to hold their run to make sure of the ball, giving the defence the momentum. Katoa's service is overrated by plenty here.

Abacus

Juniors
His everything is overrated here. I swear, someone on here called him a "creative genius". I mean...what?
Honestly, I keep looking for what others on here are saying about him. f**ked if I've been able to find it. He'll put 1 pass in front of the receiver and the next couple will be on their hip or shoulder.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Our hookers according to Fox Labs (per game averages; of the 22 hookers listed):

Runs:
20. Katoa - 1.5 pg
22. Egan - 0.3 pg

Run Metres:
21. Katoa - 14 m pg
22. Egan - 3 m pg

Kicks:
14. Katoa - 0.5 pg
15= Egan - 0.3 pg

Latest posts