What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hook's Heroes

possm

Coach
I did indeed say that and I truly hoped he was the best half we had since Billy Smith but unfortunately I was mistaken and had overestimated his ability.
See muzby I was positive in the beginning but the harsh reality of his performances forced me to change my opinion.
I too was excited that we signed Hunt at the time but now am bitterly disappointed in him and would dearly love to see him leave the club. Unlike in the past few years, we have some bright juniors coming through who will try the hearts out and show pride and enthusiasm in the big red V. The skills young Sullivan and Clune emonstrated to us in round 20 was a pleasant surprise.

Kylez3

Juniors
Re Hunt
The dropped ball was 2015

Hunt was 24/25 and been around 1st grade since he was 21

He stayed with the Broncos for 2 years in and out of 1st grade and shuffling between 7, 9 & 14.

He is no longer loved and comes to StGI
for a long term contract on big $$$$

He does very little other than gel with Widdop (couldn’t take the shit from our club any longer) for a few games and has now shuffled between 7, 9 & 14 (sound familiar)

He is 31 at the start of next season hasn’t recovered from the incident in 2015, hasn’t produced the same form leading up to the GF of 2015.

Nobody seems to know what position he should play and people in here want to persevere with him on the basis of if he gets this and that for it will work.

Well it didn’t work at the Broncos and it hadn’t worked here.

This is exactly how we ended up with the great Mc Fookknuckle for 7 years because people wanted to believe and ignored the gaping holes and obvious flaws and kept spak filling instead.

When it’s f**ked it’s f**ked take your losses and stop putting bandaids on the severed arteries.

If Hunt was at another club and on the market displaying this sort of form at 30 years of age would you sign him?

Blame Mc Fookknuckle for many things but unfortunately Hunt was damaged goods when we signed him and persevering for another year let alone 3 is only going to cost us even more.

Clune managed to find Host and the winger on a few occasions despite being given the minor role by Hunt & Norman and others than Widdop nobody else in the halves have done that.

Sullivan plays 1 game and easily finds Frizz who had been lost in the desert for 4 years ask yourself how that happened?

Don’t compound existing errors and if Hunt can fight his way back from CC then all well and good but we don’t have time to wait for 30 year old million dollar players to find themselves 6 years after an unfortunate incident.

Just because you’ve got them doesn’t mean you have to play them so time to let others have their opportunity as was given to Hunt & Norman who have managed to waste it thus far.

Excellent post.

The people who keep sticking by Hunt will only find themselves disappointed again by his performances next season.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Yes back on topic

Can anybody see Norman being used in first grade next year? I know Sullivan only played one game but showed more zing and creativitiy than the overpiced hack
I really can’t see a spot for norman
Yes I can; I think he’s still in the mix for a number of reasons. Could be wrong, but i just don’t see other clubs reaching out and showing interest. He’s also still got enough strings to his bow to be amongst our seventeen and I believe Griffen will be tempted to see if he could improve his game with a different game plan.

Whilst I’d like to see Sullivan in the side, he’s still young and I’m not convinced they’ll pick him straight up in round 1. Just my opinion, but I’d still prefer Norman as my halfback option behind Hunt yet ahead of Clune. Might all change by mid year though.....

possm

Coach
There are rumours Pearce is on the outer at Newcastle perhaps we can convince them to use that money to get future immortal Corey Norman.
Newcastle are not that silly but might be tempted to a Pearce/Hunt swap. It will be the Broncos suggesting a Millford/Norman swap given Norman only has one year to go on his current contract and was selected by the Broncos new coach for Qld SOO duties last season.

Lindsay Moss

Juniors
Griffin and his assistants are a big improvement on the rabble that was in place. Aitken and Lafai leaving is great for the young kids coming through out wide but I think we’re a little underdone up front. Need a few decent signings or we will be in trouble.
up front is not that bad if he can get the best out them kerr & blacker give us some size & i hope korbin sims finally gets a chance.

Lindsay Moss

Juniors
I suppose it is a choice, Let Hunt go and have an extra 1m in the kitty to help buy a decent pack of forwards or hold onto Hunt hoping that Griffin can get the best out of him. Same goes for Norman.
there doesn't seem to be to many forwards out there much better than what we have that are up for grabs

Old Timer

Coach
there doesn't seem to be to many forwards out there much better than what we have that are up for grabs
I think we will know well and truly what is out there come a few days into November.

When I think about Hooks Heroes as such I would like to think that it's about younger players making their way through the RL system and being rewarded for their hard work and effort more so than thinking about hired guns chasing big $$$$ and journeymen.

Kerr has been doing his long apprenticeship and now getting rewards hopefully Blacker is well into his apprenticeship and will follow suit and I am still puzzled by the loss of Timms who if he had of been handed correctly (Host as well) as they could have now been coming into their best years.

No doubt a top quality signing in the forwards would assist us but I would prefer a Klemmer to a Tamou as I believe the James Graham thing showed us that someone at the end of a career is not the best signing to have.

BLM01

First Grade
I think we will know well and truly what is out there come a few days into November.

When I think about Hooks Heroes as such I would like to think that it's about younger players making their way through the RL system and being rewarded for their hard work and effort more so than thinking about hired guns chasing big $$$$ and journeymen.

Kerr has been doing his long apprenticeship and now getting rewards hopefully Blacker is well into his apprenticeship and will follow suit and I am still puzzled by the loss of Timms who if he had of been handed correctly (Host as well) as they could have now been coming into their best years.

No doubt a top quality signing in the forwards would assist us but I would prefer a Klemmer to a Tamou as I believe the James Graham thing showed us that someone at the end of a career is not the best signing to have.
Sorry OT
Klemmer is overrated especially what the Knights are paying
No wonder Freddy left him out if SOO
Klemmer does rack up good stats only but he has lost his intimidation and grunt factor

Adolf_Spritzer

Juniors
^ I’m glad others see that too, as stats don’t always tell you the entire story. I’ve always been of the opinion he’s a SuperCoachs best friend, Merrin was very similar before he left for Penrith.

As for Timm, there had to be more to it. Potentially an attitude problem? Although considering some of the gooses we have in first grade I can accept that probably wasn’t the issue. Maybe it’s just that Mary and co were awful judges?

getsmarty

Immortal
Anthony Griffin: We’d certainly look at Jack
7 hours ago 3:22 pm / 05:21
Continuous Call Team
NRLrugby league featured
Anthony “Hook” Griffin is the incoming St George Illawarra Dragons coach and has his eyes set on Brisbane Broncos centre Jack Bird.

The Wollongong local would be a great addition to the Red V after a season filled with drama on and off the field.

Hook says he’s eager to start with the Dragons saying they are a “really well” put together organisation.

“(I’m) Looking forward to getting down to Wollongong,” says Griffin.

Speaking on aspirations to bring Bird to the Dragons, Griffin says he’s done all he can and it’s up to the Broncos now.

“The ball is fairly and squarely in the Broncos court,

“If it fits into our salary cap we’d certainly look at Jack… The dark art of roster management is underway.”

https://www.4bc.com.au/podcast/anthony-griffin-wed-certainly-look-at-jack/

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Anthony Griffin: We’d certainly look at Jack
7 hours ago 3:22 pm / 05:21
Continuous Call Team
NRLrugby league featured
Anthony “Hook” Griffin is the incoming St George Illawarra Dragons coach and has his eyes set on Brisbane Broncos centre Jack Bird.

The Wollongong local would be a great addition to the Red V after a season filled with drama on and off the field.

Hook says he’s eager to start with the Dragons saying they are a “really well” put together organisation.

“(I’m) Looking forward to getting down to Wollongong,” says Griffin.

Speaking on aspirations to bring Bird to the Dragons, Griffin says he’s done all he can and it’s up to the Broncos now.

“The ball is fairly and squarely in the Broncos court,

“If it fits into our salary cap we’d certainly look at Jack… The dark art of roster management is underway.”

https://www.4bc.com.au/podcast/anthony-griffin-wed-certainly-look-at-jack/

Lol - "the dark art of roster management is under way."

Now aint that.the truth (finally)! ‍♂️

getsmarty

Immortal
Griffin 'not asking for time' as he rejects need to rebuild Dragons
Adam Pengilly
October 29, 2020 — 8.47pm
Leave a comment

New St George Illawarra coach Anthony Griffin wants to sign two experienced forwards before Christmas but has boldly claimed that the Dragons don't need a rebuild and will climb the NRL ladder on the back of home-grown talent.

Griffin, who will take charge of Dragons pre-season training next month, has urged Ben Hunt to be one of the "leading playmakers in the competition" when he returns from his State of Origin stint with Queensland.

NSW Blues coach has spoken on the NRL's decision to scrap, then reinstate the national anthem for the State of Origin series.

Speaking at the launch of the St George District Rugby League Football Club's centenary celebrations on Thursday, Griffin flagged the prospect of more signings during the NRL's silly season.

The Dragons have been linked with Brisbane pair Jack Bird and Joe Ofahengaue but have failed to reach an agreement yet with the Broncos over a release for the former Origin players.

Griffin landed his first major signing when Roosters forward Poasa Faamausili signed a two-year deal earlier this month, partially replacing the void left by Newcastle-bound Tyson Frizell and James Graham.

"It's that trading time of the year at the moment," Griffin said. "A lot of clubs are in that mode. We've got a little bit of cap space at the moment and we'll be looking to add a couple more before Christmas.

5be293735e271cf8c10bd6b593df0adb682e9c5a

Former Prime Minister John Howard at the St George District Rugby League Football Club's centenary launch.Credit:John Veage

"There will be a big focus on building from within, but in the short term it would be great to get a couple of experienced forwards into the pack."

Griffin was even more bullish about his intention for the Dragons to be a finals challenger in 2021 after bombing out of the play-offs well before the end of the regular season in the last two years.

A large part of that will be determined by unlocking the key to Hunt, who he previously coached at the Broncos, after the 30-year-old spent time at hooker during the 2020 campaign.

"[Cooper] Cronk's gone, [Jonathan] Thurston's gone, [James] Maloney's gone ... there's a lot of good playmakers gone out of the game," Griffin said. "It's time for guys like Ben and [Daly] Cherry-Evans to be the leading playmakers in the competition. I think Ben's got the potential to do that as well.

'We're not here to rebuild, or to ask for time, we're here to perform from day one.'

Anthony Griffin
"The identity of this club can be built from within. There's enough there to be able to produce our own team in years to come.

"But we want to make play-offs, we want to play finals football, and every club looks to do that at the start of the year and I think we've got a list capable of doing that.

"We're not here to rebuild, or to ask for time, we're here to perform from day one. That will be my responsibility and the players from the time we get together."

Griffin joined luminaries such as former Prime Minister John Howard, NSW One Nation leader Mark Latham, St George District Rugby League Football Club chairman Craig Young and a host of former players including John Riley, Steve Edge, Ricky Walford, Brad Mackay, Mark Gasnier, Ben Hornby, Ben Creagh, Dean Young and Jason Nightingale at the launch.

c9a2b7a35e77f4dae603cd56ea316bdbee3a8d00

Ricky Walford, Craig Young, Matt Dufty and Mark Gasnier at the St George District Rugby League Football Club's centenary launch.Credit:John Veage

The club will announce a series of events to commemorate next year's centenary in coming months, which will include the selection of a Team of the Century. It's anticipated the celebrations will be scheduled around the NRL draw.

"This club has a very rich history and a very strong local level of support," Howard said. "It's emphatically embraced by the local community.

"It has to be a mixture of nostalgia and looking to the future. You're entitled, when you've been such an extraordinary successful club as St George, to think of the past glories, but the people who run the club now know you can't live on past glories. I'm looking forward to the next season."

Said former Dragons forward Mackay: "I couldn't have wanted to play for any other team. It's mind boggling to think the club is 100 years old, and the game is in really good hands."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/gr...-need-to-rebuild-dragons-20201029-p569um.html

Old Timer

Coach
Well here we are 2/3 and looking like a team that has benefitted from a change in coaching, philosophy and some judicious bench & roster management.

Hard to pin point who exactly are Hooks Heroes but fair to say everyone is owning up to what the coach is requiring from them and no doubt we have lots of heroes to this point in time.

If anyone thought that AM, JB, BH, JK, MR, BL were going to be leading the charge for us over 3 games and that CN and TS would also start to light up the paddock in Rd 3 I would say that most would have thought it unimaginable so well done Hook & Co we are very lucky to have you and your team leading the way for our club.

A big f**k you to Gus Gould & Co who will no doubt try find a way to join our bandwagon as more good results keep coming in.

In Hook we trust and good luck to him and his team a big well done from me.

Latest posts