What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hopes grow of Rabbitohs' return to boutique Redfern

Boing Boing

Juniors
Tidus_Raider said:
nospam49 - That's just it. The land is not being made available to a private developer. It is being turned into public parks and the such. As for it being prime real estate, I don't know about that. Crime rate and things like that are pretty high in

Benmeyer - We are both Raiders fans. Imagine us being kicked out of the comp for 2 years. Losing ALL of our players. ALL OF THEM. From our first grade squad to all our talented juniors in Carney, Zillman, Milne, Campese. Everyone.

How long do you think it takes to pick yourself off the ground? With constant infighting, board bickering and a revolving door for coaches? They are finally starting to show some inprovement. They a good coach. A great CEO and a united board. Give them a go.

Copa - You may be right mate, I've only ever been Gosford and I've never got a feel of what the locals think about supporting League. But even if the rabbitohs relocated and named themselves Central Coast Rabbitohs, they will always be known as Souths to league fans.

Mate, I'm right with you here. Remember, I have Bears blood and I am just as disgruntled as some others on this forum. I picked up the Raiders after 2 years hating the NRL because a mate of mine forced me to. Canberra is My town and the Raiders are my team, but make no mistake, I know what its like to lose my team and see all of my favourite players playing in different colours or forced into retirement.

So while I understand Souths point of view, they should never have been allowed back in for one simple reason. 50,000 people marched in the streets to save them, but 6,000 will show up and actually watch. It's disgusting. They simply don't deserve to be there.

Green Machine

First Grade
benmeyer said:
Mark my words, the Knights will finish above Souths on the ladder. Souths played their hearts out against a ver poor Dogs, but only managed a draw. They are still easybeats. They are not contenders nor will they ever be contenders. Worst team ever.
The Western suburbs side of 1999 is the worst ever on record:
Team P W D L B T G F For Ave. T G F Agn Ave. Diff. Pts
Wests 24 3 0 21 2 52t 38g 1fg 285 11.88 171t 130g 0fg 944 39.33 -659 10

Wests in 1999 only won 3 games. Souths of 2005 are one draw in front of them at round 17 with 9 rounds to go. Souths have a points differential of -189 whereas Wests 1999 was -659,

yobbo84

Coach
Tidus_Raider - as a Souths supporter thank you for summing up well our situation. When Souths were booted, we lost EVERYONE. The established first graders, the new first grade star (Wing), up-and-coming juniors like Braith Anasta, Reni Maitua, Todd Byrne, Daniel Fitzhenry, etc etc...

The management ever since coming back has been very poor. Although we now have our front office in order, a proven CEO, a proven coach (well in England anyway), and are one of the top 3 sponsored clubs in the NRL (We have two bloody major sponsors - no other club can claim that). On top of this we receive $5m in corporate sponsorship, and the wealthy Souths Jnrs now run our Premier League and Flegg sides - money is no problem.

I don't know what happened to the ppl that marched - maybe they were disenchanted after rallying so hard to get their team back only to see them managed poorly. And the 6,000 figures are stupid anyway - we only got that for two games, against the Storm and Warriors, amid a very bad run. I think Souths are averaging about 10,500 a game - still not good enough though.

On top of the sponsorship it has taken time for the juniors to come through - along with Illawarra, Penrith and Campbelltown, the Souths Junior league is one of the strongest. Players like John Sutton, Yileen 'Buddy' Gordon, Roy Bell, Shannon McPherson, Manase Manuokafoa and Mick Moran have all come through the grades - with Sutton being an absolute standout (along with Tim Smith and SBW one of the most promising rookies in ages). We also have Beau Champion, the Peter Sterling Medal winner for the schoolboy player of the year in 2004, Troy Boston, Richard Williams, Ricardo Young and others who have shown talent in the lower grades.

As long as Souths can stay financially sound and can purchase one or two quality players each season to help the younger players along, it is the strength in our juniors that will (hopefully) see Souths climb out of this rut.

Cheers.

Latest posts