What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HOPOATE IS SCUM

Nuffs

Bench
CliffyIsGod said:
What I said is that it is a farce for et to suggest suing Hoppa, and the club. We all know this is a murky situation that sets a very ugly precedent. Suing the club would be almost immpossible to do and prove.

et was talking bullsh*t for bullsh*t' sake.

In this whole situation, all if have defended is the players that high-fived him and the probability of Hoppa being intentional. You just can't prove it.

did the courts "prove" that the mccracken incident was "intentional"?

it doesn't have to be intentional for it still to be taken to court

i hope it doesn't end up having to go to this stage though

Jimbo

Immortal
Intent is irrelevant.

Hoppa has a duty of care not to rip people's heads off. He was negligent.

If Galloway was permanently injured form this, I'd expect him to sue Hoppa for everything he owns

Ryan

Juniors
Guys - I am a Manly supporter, and have to admit, that was a SHOCKING tackle, and from my eyes, warrants Hoppas immediate sacking.

As Manly fans go, I personally thought it was a good hit, as did all the other fans, but after watching the replay, realised how bad it actually was, therefore shut my pie hole after initially cheering, & apologies for that. I think the players on BOTH sides thought it was a good hit, until they saw Galloway just lying there.

I sincerely hope this young, up & coming player for The Sharks is ok. It's just ridiculous that we, as Manly fans can't just enjoy a good win, rather get bagged over, and over for the same player screwing us post match!!!

I hope you Sharkies fans don't think as a generalisation that we accept or condone this kind of behaviour, because we certainly do not. It is common theme that we would like to see Hoppa sidelined (possibly for good).

We could then get on with our footy.

Please don't take this as an insult, but various players ARE renowned for brain explosions (not just Hoppa). My example is Greg Bird, and his kneeing to the head, then a couple of weeks back, lifting a guy past the horizontal.

Mistakes DO happen, whether intentional or not. This time Hoppa will pay with his career.

Good luck for the rest of the season guys.

When is Mellor playing 1st grade? He is a gun.

carcharias

Immortal
Mistakes DO happen, whether intentional or not. This time Hoppa will pay with his career
um first post on a sharks forum?????????

I won't take it as an insult but, make no mistake Hopoate meant it and he made his bed so he can lay in it.
There is no such thing as an intentional mistake as far as I'm concerned , because then it would not be a mistake.

Maybe I'm wrong but this looks like a thinly disguised attempt to make excuses for that scumbag.

That lifting tackle was not a brain explosion it was as soft as a baby's bum.

At a guess I'm saying Cliffy?
anyone else?

Jimbo

Immortal
Ryan said:
I hope you Sharkies fans don't think as a generalisation that we accept or condone this kind of behaviour, because we certainly do not. It is common theme that we would like to see Hoppa sidelined (possibly for good).

No we don't, but unfortunately every club has it's element. Like the pissed guys sitting next to us yelling out "Do it for Hoppa" during the second half

:roll:

Ryan

Juniors
I'm not making excuses. I'm saying it was a terrible thing that happenned, and also say that Hoppa should pay with his career. I am definately NOT Cliffy.

I agree. It was a brain explosion...Again.

carcharias

Immortal
(possibly for good).

If he play's again anywhere it will a sad day for the sport.

Worst and most malicious tackle ever.
No mistakes, no mis-timed shoulder just a blatant unprovoked attack on an innocent young man.
Hopoate should be locked up.

Sharkie73

Bench
I thought these two quotes where quite funny but true;

1.Continents certainly drift faster than Hopoate learns from his mistakes.

2.For some, the penny finally drops. John Hopoate is always short of change.

Ryan

Juniors
Unfortunately, he will get a run in England mate I'm of the opinion. When disciplined, he CAN be a good player with international experience.

I guarantee he will be on a crap load more than what he's on here.

Anyway, LET England have to deal with him. We don't have to anymore then.

carcharias

Immortal
What is it with forum guarantee's?

A bloke called fluffy guaranteed that Hoppa and Hill would carve us up.

All I saw Hoppa get marched and Hill pat him on the back then do a hammy..( money well spent).

Has Fluffy been left off the chain Ryan?

Booyah

Bench
Don Juan de Lotto said:
He should be banned for life, from all Rugby League. If this a pub League, he'd probably cop a 5 year ban. So I don't see what should be different here. Otherwise he'll probably resurface next year with some French team or desperate Super League side.

How does that all work?
If a player is de-registered by the NRL - and put on a life ban - I think that only applies to the NRL.

Surely any player banned from one of the competitions under the International Rugby League (or whatever it's called) should be banned from all other comps under the same banner.

If Hoppa is de-registered from the NRL for x amount of time, then this applies to all Rugby League, including professional, semi-pro and amatuer.

That is why Tilse is unable to even play footy for his local club until his ban is over.

Jimbo

Immortal
Besides, an ESL club would have to fork out ten tickets for him and his tribe.

That wouldn't be cheap

carcharias

Immortal
More of the same from SMH
One strike too many: Hoppa out for good
By Greg Prichard
March 22, 2005

Hall of shame
John Hopoate is a dead man walking at Manly and a decision to sack him could be taken even ahead of his appearance before the NRL judiciary tonight.

Manly were saying nothing last night about Hopoate's future and no decision has yet been made, but an unscheduled meeting of the football club board will be held this morning. It is anticipated the board will decide to terminate Hopoate's contract at that meeting.

Hopoate's career in the NRL would then almost certainly be over, with a lengthy suspension tipped for him tonight and with other clubs extremely unlikely to chase the 31-year-old's signature.

The former representative winger, who has a long history of drama, was yesterday charged by the NRL with striking after an incident in Sunday's game at Brookvale Oval.

Sharks forward Keith Galloway, who had already passed the ball, was left concussed and bleeding from a cut to his ear after being struck by Hopoate, who had launched himself into the air and led with his forearm.

The incident was deemed to be so serious it was referred straight to the judiciary, without a grading.

Hopoate is now at the mercy of the judiciary panel and, presuming he is found guilty, his extensive record of suspensions in the past - he has missed a total of 28 matches - won't help him when it comes to a penalty.

Former judiciary commissioner Jim Hall said yesterday he expected Hopoate to be outed for no fewer than 15 matches and perhaps as many as 20.

"It didn't look good," Hall said of the tackle. "It's a forearm to the head and the player was injured. It falls in with tackles by players who have received 10 to 12 weeks with little or no prior record, but with Hoppa's record ...

"He has probably been told to go out there and charge the ball down, but it has ended up a reckless and dangerous tackle. It's fortunate that the player wasn't more seriously hurt."

Former judiciary chairman Alan Sullivan is expected to defend Hopoate at the judiciary hearing. It is understood Manly officials and Hopoate attended a meeting with Sullivan yesterday.

The judiciary hearing was originally set down for tomorrow night, as is normal, but was brought forward 24 hours at the request of Manly, who are anxious to have the matter finalised, rather than let it drag on for another 24 hours.

Manly have started the season with two excellent wins against the Warriors and Cronulla, but have been denied the chance to bathe in their success because of the ongoing negative publicity surrounding Hopoate.

Last week he was forced to telephone a ball boy and apologise for calling him a "little shit" during the game against the Warriors and now he is up on a major charge.

The club is unhappy that when it should be receiving praise for a great start, it is receiving criticism over Hopoate.

Manly were yesterday considering the legal implications of terminating Hopoate's contract. After he was suspended for nine matches last season he was lucky to get a new, one-year deal with the Sea Eagles and it is understood the terms of the contract allow Manly to sack him for bringing the club into disrepute.

There was also believed to be some concern at the club about implications should Galloway decide to take civil action against Hopoate, but there was no suggestion of any plans of that nature from Galloway yesterday.

Hopoate's manager, Wayne Beavis, met Manly officials yesterday, saying afterwards: "I was over there first thing in the morning, but only to talk about legal representation for the case."

Asked what he knew about Hopoate's future at the club, Beavis replied: "There's been no determination there. I don't know what they're going to do. I'm hoping that if Hoppa is suspended, it's not for too long and that he keeps playing for Manly."

When a charge is referred to the judiciary, if the player is found guilty the panel is not bound by the pre-determined penalties for various gradings that are used under normal circumstances and can penalise the offender for as long as it sees fit.
http://www.smh.com.au/news/League/O...pa-out-for-good/2005/03/21/1111253957950.html

CliffyIsGod

First Grade
For crying out loud, I never said he didn't do it intentionally, all I am saying is you cannot prove it...

For the last time, I don't want Hoppa in my team! I haven't since the start of the year.

Snoop Shark

First Grade
CliffyIsnothing said:
For the last time, I don't want Hoppa in my team! I haven't since the start of the year.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You did'nt have the balls to say that before kick off chump ;-)

:p :p :p