What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hopoate V Parramatta Eels

T-Boon

Coach
Just hold fire a second. The circumstances surrounding his signing for 2016 are unusual, so I'd think they'd accept a lower than usual cap valuation.....but $120k seems a bit silly.

Let's not forget that he did not start this. It was our club that made him an offer that we were not prepared to follow through with (this is not disputed).

I'd go further and say its not only unusual but unprecedented. None of us know the circumstances of the negotiations and how on earth we ended up offering him what we did but it was a gross over valuation by player manager and dodgy rogue CEO.

I agree that a below market amount for 2016 is excusable by the agent however for 2017 it is totally baffling. They would have by definition gotten his actually market value for 2017.

theicemandanno

Juniors
Why was Hoppa's 120K registered but Folau's contract to return to NRL was rejected....how was this amount deemed as fair by the NRL?

T-Boon

Coach
I am trying to think where Hoppa rates as a back so here is a question:

As Eels recruitment officer if you had $300k left under the cap would you offer it to Gutherson or Hopoate (these guys can each play wing, centre or fullback)?

I think Hop is presently a slightly better back than Gutherson, but I think we have seen Hops best whereas I am very curious about Gutherson's ceiling so I would go Guth.

oldmancraigy

Coach
I am trying to think where Hoppa rates as a back so here is a question:

As Eels recruitment officer if you had $300k left under the cap would you offer it to Gutherson or Hopoate (these guys can each play wing, centre or fullback)?

I think Hop is presently a slightly better back than Gutherson, but I think we have seen Hops best whereas I am very curious about Gutherson's ceiling so I would go Guth.

Gutherson can outrun a tortoise, so I would pay him.

crocodile

Bench
He doesn't want to play on the days that he bothers God. Unless he can pray for a win and convince the big man upstairs to make it so, he's worth a whole lot less than he thinks he is.

phantom eel

First Grade
Yep, if he tried the can't play on Sundays thing with us during teh negotiation process, then his claimed contract/damages in this court case should be divided by one seventh, just to start off with.

Obviously we are not privy to actual facts before the court, but I've got an inkling Hoppa hasn't got a chance in hell of getting the decision in this one...

phantom eel

First Grade
Having said that, Seward appears to have been in way over his head in the role as a Footy CEO if the alleged facts of the case are true...

ash411

Bench
If all he could get from the Bulldogs was $120K a season, surely we could argue that the amounts in the offer were grossly too high, which was the reason we cancelled the offer.

The NRL seems to think it's ok to pay him $120K, so then that much be what his value is. Showing that the offer we put in was way too high, and when the Eels management found out about the offer, they cancelled it, because it was ridiculous.

Toddy couldn't argue that, we could pull him into court to testify that is his value, and if he denies it, and says that it is more, then we could ask, "well, why are the Bulldogs allowed to sign a player for far less than his supposed value and still be cap compliant?" watch him sweat a little.

If all he could get from the Bulldogs was $120K a season, surely we could argue that the amounts in the offer were grossly too high, which was the reason we cancelled the offer.

The NRL seems to think it's ok to pay him $120K, so then that much be what his value is. Showing that the offer we put in was way too high, and when the Eels management found out about the offer, they cancelled it, because it was ridiculous.

Toddy couldn't argue that, we could pull him into court to testify that is his value, and if he denies it, and says that it is more, then we could ask, "well, why are the Bulldogs allowed to sign a player for far less than his supposed value and still be cap compliant?" watch him sweat a little.

What? You can't try to cancel an 'offer' of this type just because you subsequently decide that you offered too much. Even law.com won't help you here. You can't 'pull someone into court' to testify that 'that is his value'. If Hoppa wins, the court will assess the reasonableness of the damages, and may well decide that the $120k salary is less than what he could secured.

Bandwagon

Staff member
Well written and researched article. I'm not sure she's up to law.com class but she does her best... :D:D:D

It is interesting to note that Hopoate is only being paid $120,000 at the Dogs for this year and next year.

If the Club wins this case it will be open slather on Clubs offering deals and then reneging at a later date.

I'm presuming the Club will not settle, as the payment will be included in the salary cap.

I also want to know how are Third Party Agreements included in a players contract with the Club when Third Party Agreement's must be at arms length of the Club. Surely if Third Party Agreement's are included in all player contracts then they would never be at arms length of the Club. It's a ridiculous situation.

As I understand it, the TPA's suggested to be in the "contract" could be guaranteed by the club under the marquee player allowance.

Gronk

Staff member
Was heard on 30 June in Supreme Court - Directions hearing. This is where the judge asks you WTF you have done towards mediation, how many witnesses you want to call to determine how long should be set aside for the trial.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Was heard on 30 June in Supreme Court - Directions hearing. This is where the judge asks you WTF you have done towards mediation, how many witnesses you want to call to determine how long should be set aside for the trial.

Was the answer, f**k all and 1 but please avoid Sunday's?