What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hornby Out of All-Stars game

nrlnrl

First Grade
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...out-of-all-stars/story-e6frexnr-1226253847730

Cameron Smith and Ben Hornby out of All Stars

AAP January 25, 2012 9:57PM

CLUB captains Cameron Smith and Ben Hornby have been ruled out of the NRL All Stars team with injury.

Melbourne's Smith (shoulder) and St George Illawarra's Hornby (thigh strain) suffered injuries in training this week and will miss the clash with the Indigenous All Stars on February 4 at Gold Coast's Skilled Park.
Smith is now not expected to feature in the Storm's pre-season trials while Hornby will undergo further scans in the coming days to assess the extent of the injury.

"Cameron suffered deep bruising to his shoulder during a contact session earlier this week," said Storm football manager Frank Ponissi.

"He aggravated that same injury during training today, therefore unfortunately ruling him out of the upcoming All Stars match.

"The injury is likely to prevent Cameron from playing in the trials, however we don't anticipate any long-term issues that will prevent him from starting the season."

Kiwi international utility Nathan Fien will replace his Dragons team-mate on the interchange bench after Hornby was named as a surprise coach's pick last Thursday, while Smith was an automatic selection as an Australian team representative.

A replacement has yet to be named for Smith.

TheRev

First Grade
Im a bit confused how Fien is in the NRL All-star team? At his best he is ok, but he must be 15 better form hookers in the comp?

Tim Smith

Juniors
I figure the role is as a utility and you'd hardly imagine Bennett picking the logical choice, Gidley and risk injury

sputneek

Juniors
I have nothing against the selection at all, Bennett and Fien have worked together for years so obviously the coach knows Fien's strengths. I'm just saying that there would probably be better choices out there, but since Bennett is coaching it's logical he'd go with his own players.

Bring back choc

Juniors
I have nothing against the selection at all, Bennett and Fien have worked together for years so obviously the coach knows Fien's strengths. I'm just saying that there would probably be better choices out there, but since Bennett is coaching it's logical he'd go with his own players.

Again I ask... Who are the better options??? Fien is a NZ international.

Curious to see who else you would give the spot to?

gypsy

Bench

dri-a-sp1-prm.jpg

Mr Red

First Grade

you also need to stick to the rule and not have more than 2 players from any single club...
so you could have a situation where there may be 10 better options however it would mean dropping someone else and shuffling the whole team around. given how soon it is before the match the easiest option in this case was to simply pick someone from the same team as the injured player

sputneek

Juniors

Carney or Cherry-Evans imo, but since Smith is out I guess it justifies Fien's selection, but then I would have had Ballin.

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=396402

Now explain to me how Fien isn't even in your top 2 hookers according to your fellow fans but good enough for All Stars? He is a NZ international after all.

Bring back choc

Juniors
Carney or Cherry-Evans imo, but since Smith is out I guess it justifies Fien's selection, but then I would have had Ballin.

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=396402

Now explain to me how Fien isn't even in your top 2 hookers according to your fellow fans but good enough for All Stars? He is a NZ international after all.

Fien has utility value.. Dummy half or halves. Like hornby, like gidley. Ballin, cherry evans don't have that. Carney yes, but the guy cannot be selected for these games yet. That would be ridiculous.

TheRev

First Grade
Oh I forgot there was a quota from each NRL club, however when Fien is the dragons supporters 4th choice at hooker (King > Rein > Young > Fein), it is a strange choice >.>

However he does have lots of experience, so id feel a lot safer as an all-star selector than a new kid on the block & young probably isnt available?

nrlnrl

First Grade
http://www.dragons.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=46518&title=dragons-injury-update

Dragons Injury Update
27/01/2012 3:28:35 PM
St George Illawarra Dragons captain Ben Hornby will be sidelined for several weeks after scans revealed he had suffered a thigh injury of moderate severity on Friday.

The Corrimal junior is expected to return in time for the season opener against the Newcastle Knights at Ausgrid Stadium, Newcastle on Thursday, March 1.

“Ben had a scan on his left thigh today which has shown that there is an injury there of moderate severity,” said Dragons Performance Director Andrew Gray.

“This won't affect his ability to play in Round 1 but we will wait to see how it responds over the next weeks before we plan any further than that.”

Father Ted

First Grade
http://www.dragons.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=46518&title=dragons-injury-update

Dragons Injury Update
27/01/2012 3:28:35 PM
St George Illawarra Dragons captain Ben Hornby will be sidelined for several weeks after scans revealed he had suffered a thigh injury of moderate severity on Friday.

The Corrimal junior is expected to return in time for the season opener against the Newcastle Knights at Ausgrid Stadium, Newcastle on Thursday, March 1.

“Ben had a scan on his left thigh today which has shown that there is an injury there of moderate severity,” said Dragons Performance Director Andrew Gray.

“This won't affect his ability to play in Round 1 but we will wait to see how it responds over the next weeks before we plan any further than that.”

LOL So we're back to those days

Bring back choc

Juniors
LOL So we're back to those days

Yeh geesus! Remember those times! It would be like dominos! One goes down the rest follow.
I will never forget gasniers pec tear in the charity shield and hearing browny say at the press conference "Gaz is gone for th year".

Yuck