What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hornby v Head

dubopov

Coach
disagree, i think hornby will be on the bench, back up hooker for priddis, with young back up front.

head and soward will be starting halves, and sailor will be another on the bench, thats just my opinion, but i can see benny starting the year that way.

morris, cooper, boyd, nightingale, lett and stanley will be the issue, who plays where, thats the issue for saint benny, one will miss out, but who?

and then theres the forward, we have to much talent from front to back, i think 09 we win the premiership, and with the amount of talent that misses the starting 17, i think shellharbour win it too... lol

bring on 09.... year of the dragons...

back up hooker ?? young looks like the starter .. then priddis .. then fepalui .. why hornby ??

bazookabarry

Juniors
hornby is still the best fb we've got. hope matty head can get a few games under his belt without injury, if he can do that he'll go well.

piesplus

Bench
hornby is still the best fb we've got.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. He's lost a lot of speed and flashiness. I can't even remember him crossing the tryline last year. Maybe you can put it down to injury, but I can't really see him coming back, especially at his age.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
yep...........finally joined up !

I think head is smarter and better for field position kicking game with Soward. Hornby is hard to read as a player running off him.

watatank

Coach
I wouldn't be so sure of that. He's lost a lot of speed and flashiness. I can't even remember him crossing the tryline last year. Maybe you can put it down to injury, but I can't really see him coming back, especially at his age.

Over the hill at 28?

piesplus

Bench
Wata: Not over the hill, just not as fast as some of the younger blokes -- I know Hornbag would still be competent, but Morris looks much more dangerous in the position.

Godz: Would you say that is above par, or below par?

I don't want to sound like I'm knocking the bloke. He has been a loyal servant of the club -- even though I think the club could have done a lot more for him. For instance, he should have been put in the halves permanently ages ago (I know he said he preferred fullback, but I think it would have been in his best interests, as well as the club's). And he should have been made captain instead of Le Gasnier. Hornbag had a lot more potential than the jack-of-all-trades role the club gave him. But that was then, this is now. We have to deal with the realities of now. No room for sentiment on game day.

Godz Illa

Coach
pies... you made the oblique reference to crossing the tryline, you tell me.

Just for the hell of it...

Orford 2
Thurston 4
Prince 5
Cronk 4
Kimmorley 2
Wallace 5
Pearce 7
Head 1

piesplus

Bench
Wow. Looks like he performed pretty well - at halfback.

(I may have forgotten to mention I have a bad memory ;-).)

brokendigit

Juniors
Honby will be in the halves for his defence. He is a much better defender than Soward and Head.

Soward's not great, Head is barely a speedhump, but Hornby is a terrible defender. I've watched Hornby misread an attack & get himself (& his team-mates) isolated more often than anyone else.

Soward & Head will get run over at least a couple of times per game, but at least they create an obstacle.

Hornby is lucky that he's got a massive heart - & will put his body on the line without hesitation: but he's often left well behind by a well structured attack.

watatank

Coach
Wata: Not over the hill, just not as fast as some of the younger blokes -- I know Hornbag would still be competent, but Morris looks much more dangerous in the position.

Godz: Would you say that is above par, or below par?

I don't want to sound like I'm knocking the bloke. He has been a loyal servant of the club -- even though I think the club could have done a lot more for him. For instance, he should have been put in the halves permanently ages ago (I know he said he preferred fullback, but I think it would have been in his best interests, as well as the club's). And he should have been made captain instead of Le Gasnier. Hornbag had a lot more potential than the jack-of-all-trades role the club gave him. But that was then, this is now. We have to deal with the realities of now. No room for sentiment on game day.

Hornby may not be as quick as others but he was never was and has never been the speedster in the team even when he was at his best at fullback so why should it matter now? He's not as slow as everyone else is making him out to be and IMO still has a lot to offer from fullback, if the situation allows it to be so.

The only reason Hornby ever played halfback is not because he wasn't good enough at fullback but because there was no one better at halfback. If Head gets back to the form that we all know he is capable of then Hornby will no longer be needed there and then he can go back to fullback.

I can see where you're coming from though, I simply believe he has still much to offer as a fullback.

Last edited:

Latest posts