What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hornby's devotion a deal of a lifetime

RedVDave

First Grade
Hornby's devotion a deal of a lifetime

Having retired from representative football, St George Illawarra captain Ben Hornby is to be rewarded for his single-minded focus on winning a premiership with the Dragons, by signing a new contract.

The expected two-year deal with an option of a third season, will make Hornby a one-club player for his entire NRL career, a rarity under the existing salary cap system.

Before Friday's loss to Melbourne at Etihad Stadium, Hornby had produced the best form of his career since switching from fullback to halfback in 2008.

The extension of Hornby's contract will come on the back of the re-signing of Michael Weyman, Matt Prior and Jamie Soward.

However, the new deal casts a major shadow over the future of young gun Beau Henry.

It is believed as many as four NRL clubs have Henry on their radar, while the National Youth Cup player of the year languishes in the under 20 competition and NSW Cup.

Henry is off-contract at the end of the season and his manager Gavin Orr told the Mercury last week that receiving NRL game time would be the major factor in deciding his future.

Star five-eighth Jamie Soward urged the 20-year-old to be patient as part of Wayne Bennett's premiership project.

"Beau's obviously a talent and clubs will obviously be after him," Soward said.

"I didn't even know he was off-contract, but he's got the best coach in the world (at the Dragons).

"You're not going to learn any more going anywhere else.

"It's up to him what he does, it's his choice. Hopefully he's just concentrating on playing good footy and pressing his claims.

"He's young, but I wouldn't be going anywhere," he said.

Soward himself was forced to wait for his chance to prove himself at NRL level. He was in and out of first grade at the Roosters and then Dragons under Nathan Brown, before finally making the No 6 jersey his own last season.

Hornby, meantime, was eligible for a representative exemption, having played 10 seasons in the NRL.

He said prolonging his club career was the key reason for standing down for Country, NSW and Australian duty.

The 30-year-old's utility value has seen him play three games for NSW, one each in 2004, 2006 and 2008, as well as a Test for Australia.

"It's mainly my body; I want to play NRL over the next couple of years," Hornby said after the loss to the Storm.

"It's just a toll on my lower limbs; I've got a couple of little dramas with my lower limbs."

He offered some self-depreciating humour about his representative prospects in the wake of the Dragons 17-4 loss to Melbourne.
"You wouldn't pick me on that performance, would you?" he said.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...a-deal-of-a-lifetime/1793757.aspx?storypage=0

petetheileet

First Grade
Great too see...

How a bloke at 30 can be one of our most improved players is remarkable!

and his defence has been outstanding!

St Dragon

Juniors
Congrats to Ben, the deal will make him a one club player, very rare these days. Lets hope he is rewarded in October by holding that trophy aloft. :)

LOYAL DRAGON

First Grade
Yeah Glad we kept Hornby, the guy is firing and I do Hope on two things, 1, we dont turn into dads army and two we keep Henry.
While the older more experienced guys are steady, they dont set the world on fire.

thommo4pm

Coach
Does anyone know if the Salary Cap concessions still apply for players who have been at 1 club for > 10 years?
Hornby would fall into this category now....along with Cooper.

dubopov

Coach
Congrats to Ben, the deal will make him a one club player, very rare these days. Lets hope he is rewarded in October by holding that trophy aloft. :)

This bloke will never hold a Trophy aloft unless he pisses off to England.

dubopov

Coach
Great too see...

How a bloke at 30 can be one of our most improved players is remarkable!

and his defence has been outstanding!

His defence is only outstanding when compared to his former non-tackling self .. it is still ordinary ..

Bring back choc

Juniors
Gees you are a loser pal. Honestly. You have no idea.
You are obviously stroking yourself instead of actually watching the footy.

gonzerelli

Juniors
Does anyone know if the Salary Cap concessions still apply for players who have been at 1 club for > 10 years?
I believe that was scaled back to 8 years a few years ago, to allow the Rorters a concession for Fitzy... But you're quite right, Benny and Coops are into their 11th season in our first grade squad.

dubopov

Coach
If course my comments are directed at dubopov. Nobody else.
I forgot to quote his dribble in my reply.

How about you back up your great knowledge with some facts ..

eg. I said Hornby is an ordinary defender ..

Hornby tackles last three seasons = 658, missed = 117. % missed = 17.8%

Soward, the so-called speed bump, 614 made, 124 missed. %= 20.2%

This year missed - Hornby 15.2% Soward 10% .. who's really improved ??

And the standard needed to be "great" .. Cronk would be one of the best ..

Tackles 1123 missed 111. percent missed 9.9%

.. and Cronk has made 500 more tackles ..

Cagey Mac

Bench
Gees you are a loser pal. Honestly. You have no idea.
You are obviously stroking yourself instead of actually watching the footy.
I wouldn't be so harsh but I have to agree that anyone actually watching the game would think BH's form has been outstanding and defence in particular compared to anybody
Actually I had him as my best against the Cowboys when Benny Creagh got the nod
Respect is due to Hornby and not just for his loyalty
He's one of our best week in week out

Red Bear

Referee
Hornby's form has been much better than Sowards, a good leader and from all reports a good guy off the field as well, good on him

Goddo

Bench
I expect Hornby to get a place on the legends walk out the front of Jubilee Oval when he retires. Champ player.

Acka

Coach

I believe so. I believe it is a $100k discount on the player. I know you could only claim it on one player though. That part of the rule may have changed though.

Latest posts