What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How are Storm the most popular club?

STORM.99/07

Bench
Just so you know, you didn't at all 'cop your punishment'. I feel it's still worth challenging this every time a Storm fan says it. You marched against it, built a siege mentality against it, players still post 2007 and 2009 GF photos claiming them. Even there, it's 'we aren't the only ones who cheated'. I'm teaching my 6 year old to be better than that when she gets caught with her hand in the cookie jar.
How many times do you bring up eels cheating, flakes drug cheating..I think none because they aren't as successful as Storm have been for so long..

ACTPanthers

Bench
Success breeds support. Simple.

Do I necessarily agree with how they've achieved that success in the past? No. But it's undeniable they've been a successful footy club, so it's only natural they're going to have a good sized supporter base.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
How many times do you bring up eels cheating, flakes drug cheating..I think none because they aren't as successful as Storm have been for so long..
Which instance of confirmed and punished cheating are you referring to with Parramatta?

And basically what your argument is here, is that the Storm were more successful cheats. Not sure that's a badge of honour. Arguably, the Storm built their dynasty on cheating. If they're forced to comply with the cap, maybe that doesn't happen.

I actually would have respect for the Storm if they'd said yep, we cheated, hand in the cookie jar, we resolve to be better from hereon in. But nope, siege mentality. We won the rings, we had the GF winning parties etc. That's why I love it when they don't win. The 'oh oh oh what about everyone else' stuff, honestly - that's weak.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
OK, they're a basket case. And yes, they don't get the torch shone on them because they sucked regardless (They had to rebuild from Ricky Stuart being their coach, which should've exempted them from a salary cap at all)

But still, Melbourne remain cheats. Which built their popularity.

STORM.99/07

Bench
OK, they're a basket case. And yes, they don't get the torch shone on them because they sucked regardless (They had to rebuild from Ricky Stuart being their coach, which should've exempted them from a salary cap at all)

But still, Melbourne remain cheats. Which built their popularity.
So you are saying their cheating is ok because they were useless. That makes your argument about Storm cheating reek of jealousy because they didn't become a basket case.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
So you are saying their cheating is ok because they were useless. That makes your argument about Storm cheating reek of jealousy because they didn't become a basket case.
No, I'm not. I'm saying people aren't shining the torch on them because they were rubbish. Cheating is cheating. If someone is juiced up in the 100m at the Olympics and they fall on their face out of the blocks, no one cares. They're still cheats. But Ben Johnson copped all the attention in 1994 because he won, and won easily pumped full of roids.

Amazing spin though to say there's jealousy involved because they cheated well. Honestly, if you offer my club a premiership that latterly turns into a * because we cheated, I don't want it. So no, I'm not jealous of a club that cheated to 'earn' success. It should be hollow. And it matters not one f**k whether others were doing it. The rules were there.

Success breeds support. Simple.

Do I necessarily agree with how they've achieved that success in the past? No. But it's undeniable they've been a successful footy club, so it's only natural they're going to have a good sized supporter base.
Storm cheated 10 years ago, and paid the price. I am not sure about players posting pictures, but history has judged.

Now the Storm deserve all the success they get. They are a class organisation. Last year they lost Cam Smith and Tino. Next year it is JAC and Hynes. Maybe B Smith the year after that. They lose players but don’t sign stars. The team is full of players who started their career at the Storm, or players other clubs casted-off. From afar it looks like they are doing what you would expect in a salary cap league; not salary cap cheaters any more.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I should state as well, that yeah the Storm deserve their success now. The most disappointing thing is I reckon they would have been just as successful without the cap breach. Bellamy is clearly the best coach in the game, and the best coaches in the game make things happen with whatever resources they have. Their environment will continue to ensure their success, that they can pick up and develop sub-par players from other clubs for bargain prices, and turn them into premiership winners.

They were tiny 20 years ago??? Is it just because they are so good? I don’t understand how they could be more popular than Parra or Broncos

They’re not.

Most popular: St George
2nd: South Sydney
3rd: Parramatta
4th: Brisbane

5th-16th: The rest of the piss ants.

Generalzod

Immortal
I should state as well, that yeah the Storm deserve their success now. The most disappointing thing is I reckon they would have been just as successful without the cap breach. Bellamy is clearly the best coach in the game, and the best coaches in the game make things happen with whatever resources they have. Their environment will continue to ensure their success, that they can pick up and develop sub-par players from other clubs for bargain prices, and turn them into premiership winners.
The best money can buy, we all know how much money was pumped into the Storm that made them the successful Club they are today…

STORM.99/07

Bench
No, I'm not. I'm saying people aren't shining the torch on them because they were rubbish. Cheating is cheating. If someone is juiced up in the 100m at the Olympics and they fall on their face out of the blocks, no one cares. They're still cheats. But Ben Johnson copped all the attention in 1994 because he won, and won easily pumped full of roids.

Amazing spin though to say there's jealousy involved because they cheated well. Honestly, if you offer my club a premiership that latterly turns into a * because we cheated, I don't want it. So no, I'm not jealous of a club that cheated to 'earn' success. It should be hollow. And it matters not one f**k whether others were doing it. The rules were there.
Jealousy was the wrong word to use I agree

Frailty

First Grade
The storm are so successful that they've got literally million of Victorians playing the game in the hope of playing for them.

I know this was a tongue in cheek comment, but considering there is less than 200k registered players in Junior and Senior league in Sydney, the country literally does not have a million playing the game.

Jamberoo

Juniors
The question they should be asking is ‘Which football club (any code) do you support?’. Watch the Storm, Swans, GWS and Lions plummet down towards the bottom of the list.

Top clubs would be
1. Broncos
Daylight
2. Collingwood
3. West Coast
4. Adelaide
5. Essendon
Daylight

Bottom clubs
30. Brisbane Lions
31. Storm
32. GWS
33. GC Titans
34. GC Suns

Storm is below all Vic AFL clubs, even factoring in their fans in Qld. Swans would be mid table. I don’t know enough about Union or soccer clubs to factor them in.

Latest posts