What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can it be a real Test Match if all players play in the same country/competition.

Nealo 12

Bench
Got thinking of the days when foreign players were actually living and playing in the country of origin. Doesn't that actually constitute a real Test Match.

This Year?

Immortal
Wow.

If that were the case the world cup just may well just be a tri series between Australia, New Zealand and England.

Besides the NRL and ESL are there any other top tier competitions being ran to feed international rugby league?

magpie4ever

First Grade
Wow.

If that were the case the world cup just may well just be a tri series between Australia, New Zealand and England.

Besides the NRL and ESL are there any other top tier competitions being ran to feed international rugby league?

:lol::lol::lol:

Name me a World Cup, World Series, 3 and 4 nations competition that wasn't just a competition between Australian and NZ with the very occasionally visit by the pommies to the finals?

Scubby

Juniors
:lol::lol::lol:

Name me a World Cup, World Series, 3 and 4 nations competition that wasn't just a competition between Australian and NZ with the very occasionally visit by the pommies to the finals?

France were Word Cup finalists in the first competition and are still the last side to beat Australia in a proper test series. Don't you know any RL history?

RedVee

First Grade
So no non-English EPL players can play Internationals either?

Bizarre thread.

ULYSSES

Juniors
The question posed by the thread title is actually valid. I was taught that Test matches were originally designed to test the strength not only of the players actually competing but also to test the strength of the national system that developed those players. In order for a nation to be allowed to compete in an official test match it had to satisfy criteria relating to administration, competitions both senior and junior and numerical strength. Maybe rules have changed.

Canard

Immortal
The question posed by the thread title is actually valid. I was taught that Test matches were originally designed to test the strength not only of the players actually competing but also to test the strength of the national system that developed those players. In order for a nation to be allowed to compete in an official test match it had to satisfy criteria relating to administration, competitions both senior and junior and numerical strength. Maybe rules have changed.

You think "maybe" they have changed??