What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how did they determine player attributes?

Tupac Shakur

First Grade
umm one would suggest by there build, the way they play, how fast they are, fitness the form there in.... ummm idno

P.J.

Juniors
pepstar87 said:
umm one would suggest by there build, the way they play, how fast they are, fitness the form there in.... ummm idno

They went by the Big League statistics apparently. Obviously there is a degree where they will have to simply "make them up".

Tupac Shakur

First Grade
yeh the offload statistics probly with a player who does them often ie trent waterhouse he should have a good offload ability i think thats how they would rate that

Mario

Juniors
The attributes for each player were supplied by NRL Stats, using a variety of underlying statistics weighted towards the 2003 season performance.

Tupac Shakur

First Grade
thanks for that i just read that exact word for word in another thread. atleast we all no now and hope people who dont no read this thread because i got a feeling that question will get asked alot from now on from people who dont read the threads first

subsbligh35

Juniors
To be a pain could you develop this a little please mario?

It's just whenever i create a player i never know what is fair or realistic and having a good benchmark or even a SIDHE player attributes register officially delegated/ sanctioned/moderated by someone from this forum or something.

That way we will all be on a level playing field

Mario

Juniors
The best way to work out whether something is realistic is to compare them to another player of similar ability.

In general, a rating of 5 will be the run of the mill average. A rating of 9 or 10 will be a standout for that attribute.

Clevo

Juniors
Mario cannot elaborate because there are no reliable stats from the NRL. It's all guess work using a few players as benchmark.

The fact that no matter what stats the NZ players will always do these amazing off loads, Nathan merrit will amazingly break tackles and everyone scores a try from a scrum doesn;t say much for the stats.

Your guess is as good as the NRL's

Arnie

Juniors
also perhaps for the next game instead of being out of 10, the ratings can be out of 100 - kinda like what the ea sports games do....
so it'll create a greater differentiation between players...
anything about 90 would be given to VERY few players - 60 would be an average score while most players might get ratings around the 70s

90s would be more of players if you had classic teams where players like Allan Langer might be in the 90s for a short kicking game, or Mal Meninga for strength or something like that

i better stop with all my stats ideas before i end up writing a thesis on it :X

Tupac Shakur

First Grade
yeah i agree with u arnie, it would be better out of 100 so the players wouldnt all be rated very similiar. more variety in skills and attributes etc

NPK

Bench
Yea, I suggested this in the suggestions thread a few days ago. It would make for more realistic player profiles and greater variation in skills amongst players whose skill levels in real life are far apart.

HBG

Juniors
hmm let me think for a second. :?

This is an NRL game, therefore what would be the best source of stats on players? :?

Or should I ask a handful of fans that may show some degree of bias? :?

THINK ABOUT THIS!!! :?:

Agree or Disagree with the stats. That is your perogative.

There is an old saying in Cricket. "Look at the scoreboard" :)

Clevo

Juniors
HBG... I am telling you there are no stats from the NRL that rate players in catagories with a score of 1-10. If mario asked the NRL to provide stats on player ratings they would have just sat around at lunch and came up with some figures.

Their (the NRL) guess would be just as good as 10 members of this forum.

The NRL DO NOT keep figures on players in case a game developer comes along and asks for stats.

Since the game player stats don;t fluctuate (in form or out of form) this makes the static stats even more ridiculous.

For eg... if Stacey jones is having a bad day wouldn;t it also probable that others in the team will suffer. Not in this game

Mario

Juniors
Clevo said:
HBG... I am telling you there are no stats from the NRL that rate players in catagories with a score of 1-10. If mario asked the NRL to provide stats on player ratings they would have just sat around at lunch and came up with some figures.

No, they didn't have stats between 1 and 10. But it was easy to to take the statistics they provide them and convert them to a number out of 10 and convert the range distribution of stats so 5 was average and 10 was top.

Clevo said:

They weren't guesses. Every stat is based on real information about performance such as kicking completion percentages, tackle completion percentages etc.

They have an astounding depth of information with stats on virtually every aspect. The game greatly benefits from their information and a future sequel will be even better if we are able to utilise even more of what NRL Stats have to offer.

Clevo said:
Since the game player stats don;t fluctuate (in form or out of form) this makes the static stats even more ridiculous.

For eg... if Stacey jones is having a bad day wouldn;t it also probable that others in the team will suffer. Not in this game

Statistics do fluctuate within a game and across matches. There is a confidence factor which is based on performance and crowds. If a team gets a roll on it boosts their confidence which affects some ingame stats. Stats are negatively affected if a team gets into a slump.

Of course this happens at the team level, but not the individual player level.

Jimbo

Immortal
How does David Peachey only get a 4 for tackling, for starters?? I lost count of how many one-on-ones he made for us this year...

Clevo

Juniors
Mario said:
Clevo said:

No, they didn't have stats between 1 and 10. But it was easy to to take the statistics they provide them and convert them to a number out of 10 and convert the range distribution of stats so 5 was average and 10 was top.

Clevo said:

They weren't guesses. Every stat is based on real information about performance such as kicking completion percentages, tackle completion percentages etc.

They have an astounding depth of information with stats on virtually every aspect. The game greatly benefits from their information and a future sequel will be even better if we are able to utilise even more of what NRL Stats have to offer.

Clevo said:

Statistics do fluctuate within a game and across matches. There is a confidence factor which is based on performance and crowds. If a team gets a roll on it boosts their confidence which affects some ingame stats. Stats are negatively affected if a team gets into a slump.

Of course this happens at the team level, but not the individual player level.

Thanks Mario,

I knew the NRL kept stats on kicking percentages and all that..... it's not what I meant.

For example If I kicked 6 out of 10 goals and the Brisbane kicked 9 out of 10 I would imagine you translate that as me being a 6/10 kicker and Brissy 9/10 but doesn;t take into account that all my 10 kicks were in the rain and from the side lines and the brissy kicker had nice clear days and no wind and from front on.

While I am not suggesting the game should take these minute details into account I would be interested to know what algorythims you used to convert static stats to a percentile and if career stats were used.

If career stats were used for indivudual players overall stats it would not fit in the NRL's team stats locked into the 2003 season.

Glad to know that stats do fluctuate from game to game and that a "confidence" factor is built in if a team is on a roll. Does this work on the team stats level or on a player level thus effecting the team stats?

Thanks for the reply Mario

aqua_duck

Coach
I think Nathan Hinbdmarsh is probably the most poorly aligned player in the game, the Nathan Hindmarsh in the game is nothing like the nathan hindmarsh week in week out, I would've thought he'd have a good break tackle ability and fitness level.

supersoniceagle

Juniors
I also disagree with many of the player attributes in this game. But then again, it would be extremely difficult to get all the stats right. Most games have stupid attributes, like NBA live for example has average players with some exceptional attributes

Latest posts