What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How did we let this happen?

boardlumps62

Juniors
Hasn’t been that bad mate, we were only 85mins from a GF not so long ago ..... and what about all the hardest preseasons ever ..... finally got the team I want.

Best was the junket to the States to learn from the Americans. It’s like sending a Carpenter to a Medical conference.

Never mind all the reviews before the Gould review.

f**kwits.
Or a House Painter to study Rembrandt.

Mjab

Juniors
The real issue is a dead fish rots from the head

yes the Sharks have attracted better players and done better over the last 8 years despite their one sagas and controversies

the BOD To take a lot of responsibility
Inept individuals not up to running a multimillion dollar enterprise
2 dreadful CEOs in Doust and BJ also inept and incompetent
Now we bring Doust back to the board! FFS

the installing of inexperienced and incompetent coaches Price and Peanut
The persistence of sticking with peanut despite abysmal results and extending his contract for no valid reason at the time
A lot of this problem relates to CEO and BOD incompetence . They are the rotting head

winning 1 finals game in all that time , apparently a comment was made that they won because the didn’t stick to the game plan!

the whole last 9 years an utter disgrace

why would a gifted player or even a solid one want to join this club with Mary in charge . An absolute peanut with zero skill set and no insight

I do see some light now with Webb and Hook
Webb looks much more competent that the 2 before

if however Hook does not show results in 2 years he needs to be shown the door and not have his contract extended and prolong more pain

I am hopeful of a brighter future than the last 9 years
It shouldn’t be hard

Banjo2014

Juniors
Tolman
Gurrerra
Woods
Cartwright

we could let this happen.

On a more serious note - we have to pay Corey Norman next year any which way (but loose) - so for one year just swap him over with Benji Marshall - let Norman go - cut him loose

Forget the money situation just let Balmain deal with Norman

I might get barred for this post.

blue bags

First Grade
Tolman
Gurrerra
Woods
Cartwright

we could let this happen.

On a more serious note - we have to pay Corey Norman next year any which way (but loose) - so for one year just swap him over with Benji Marshall - let Norman go - cut him loose

Forget the money situation just let Balmain deal with Norman

I might get barred for this post.
yes get the old benji goat back, for old time cake

How did it happen?

S Price, P McGregor.

A decade of delusion.

Continued to insist they had the nous to handle a development club.

Rookie coaches who tried to bring in big name players; Widdop Thompson, Farrell, Woodford, Dugan, Lafai, Marshall, Graham as well as journeymen at the expense of pathways for local talent.

A pair of rookie coaches so insecure in their positions they almost always chased the quick fix. ‘The roster they wanted’.

A failure to identify that as a club, complementing existing talent with a few astute signings is in our DNA and will always succeed when directed dispassionately by experienced outsiders with an eye for talent.

Roy Masters brought in O’Grady, Gearin, Rogers and O’Connor to play alongside Johnson, Morris, Wynn, Young whilst developing players like Fraser, Walsh, Guider and Johns.

Brian Smith brought in Jeff Hardy, Martin Offiah, Phil Blake, Wayne Bartrim whilst developing Brown, Tallis, Mundine and Stevens.

David Waite brought in Treacy and Ainscough to complement his sides and brought through the likes of Fitzgibbon, Roberts and Blacklock.

Bennett brought us Boyd, Weyman, Fein, Smith and Costigan but cashed in on Creagh, Young, Hornby, Cooper and Soward. He brought through Prior, Merrin, Nightingale.

Griffin happily shows signs of recognising what makes us tick as a club and has an eye for talent.

Meanwhile the Sharks who have traditionally mismanaged their juniors, developed a great batch In the aftermath of their GF win and are reaping the benefits.

When you look at our u20s side that dominated the comp around 2014-16, mixing it up with teams like the Cowboys, Penrith and the Roosters, it almost beggars belief that McGregor/Young failed to bring anyone in these teams through to First grade stardom. Lomax (a more recent product) is probably the sole exception.

In 2016, the Cowboys team that Dufty, Leilua, Field, Robson, Lawrie and co knocked out of the finals contained Ponga, Tuala, Gela-Mosby, Brandon Smith, Shoenig and Horsborough.

That year the Panthers beat the chooks in the GF with many of the current FG side starring. It was obviously a dream team but their top grade coach that season was A Griffin.

Let’s see what he can do.

be55

Juniors
ACCOUNTABILITY

To all of us this is not a foreign concept ,it is part of our daily lives. From our early years as children we do the wrong thing we are disciplined by our parents, at school we misbehave or do the wrong thing we get in trouble. In business or at work, we make mistakes and their are consequences to be paid. This is just life as we all know it. But their is one place where accountability is non-existent and that is at our club.

The lack of accountability permeates throughout the joint. Whether it be the people running the club and their acceptance for sub standard operating of all aspects of the brand St.George Illawarra Dragons. Or the coaching staff, and i just don't mean the McGregor years, I mean just about every year ,excluding the Bennett era, since the joint venture was formed. And the players, who for a long time now would not know the meaning of the word accountability.

I don't want to talk about this as far as the board goes, we all know it's there, you would have to be completely stupid not to know that the people running our club are more interested in infighting between the two sides of the joint venture than making our football team and our brand the best it could possibly be. The rush to re-sign an incompetent coach because he was seen as an "Illawarra boy" is a perfect example of that.

I truly think that it would be best for the club and the brand if we were bought out by a private owner, similar to what happened with Souths. And then the board ,and their pathetic, divisive self interests could be shown the door and the day to day running of the club could be left to the new owner or whoever the new owner deems fit to move the club in the direction that is best for the brand.

Now i come to McGregor...well well well. What do you say about this bloke. For a long time i have always thought that the coach of a Rugby League team can often be unfairly criticised for poor performances, after all they aren't out there making tackles and taking the ball up like the players are but when it comes to this bloke that theory goes out the window.

McGregor, well and truly ,has the blood of the club, the players and the fans on his hands. He's drenched in it. When you talk accountability, the lack of it shown by this pretender towards the playing group over his tenure as head coach is, i believe , a huge reason why for years now we have been perennial underachievers on the field.

McGregor and his refusal to hold players to account for sub standard performances ,as far as team selection goes, really is all you need to talk about to understand why this guy is not head coach material. Best friend material yes, head coach material F**K NO. For years we have seen players who aren't performing to first grade standard continually being selected and once again instilling a zero accountability culture and an attitude that mediocrity is good enough.

We all know who these players are...we've all posted about them so i won't go into details about individuals, but i do want to make special mention of one...Corey Norman. I don't care how much salary cap this guy takes up, i couldn't care less. The fact that for two years this guy has continually put in sub standard performances with virtually no repercussions makes my blood boil. And i know their will be people who will say ''If we drop Norman who will take his place" i'd say to those people, anyone who is willing to put their body on the line and put in 100% effort , because that is something this overpaid, inept , park footballer at best , knows nothing about. To think this guy is getting Gareth Widdop's wage of 800k a year and was brought to the club to fill his shoes is laughable at best and borderline criminal at worst. And yet he continually has been selected in the side. Once again where is the accountability.

The time since McGregor was moved on and Dean Young has taken over has been an interesting one for mine. You would have to say that performances on the field have deteriorated somewhat .I know a lot of people will say it is because Dean can't coach ,and believe me i understand people wanting to eviscerate anyone that had anything to do with McGregor's tenure at the club but i look at it a little differently. I think Dean wanted to make a good impression and win as many games as possible and he probably thought making mass changes was a risk he was not willing to take because his reputation, as far as a coach goes was on the line. He was really on a hiding to nothing anyway because the rot in our team set in long before he was handed the keys five weeks ago.

I believe that a new approach from Young may have rattled a few cages amongst the players. I think he put a few of these players "on blast" for poor performances and these guys who were so used to getting cuddles and kisses from McGregor, this new approach from Dean might have been a shock to the system, and it's seen a few of these players throw the toys out of the cot and spit the dummy and it is showing in their recent performances on the field.

Cam is a classic example i believe. Look at his performance yesterday compared to McGregor's last game in charge...it's chalk and cheese. He was far from the worst player on the field but by his lofty standards you would have to say he was a little off his game. Zac is another one. He was terrific yesterday, but the last few weeks he has been underperforming and i believe this could also be from getting a rocket or two from Young about defensive issues in previous games and him not being use to that coming from a coach. Paul Vaughan was so relaxed in his attitude towards everything that he thought he could just throw Co-vid protocols out the window and go for a coffee for God's sake. And when he was disciplined, which he had to be ,by the club or whoever it was, he was so use to the softly softly approach of McGregor, his form and his attitude has totally gone out the window ever since.

I remember the look on McGregor's face when he was talking about Vaughan and his bubble breach at a press conference. He gave the impression he was disgusted with Vaughan and he would be letting him know about it. I would have loved to have seen that, i bet McGregor dealt with Vaughan by hitting him with the equivalent of a wet lettuce leaf. I really believe that Young realises that this playing group is so stained by the years of zero accountability by McGregor towards our players that he probably thinks a clean break from the club is best for him.

I don't want this to sound like i am a Dean Young supporter for head coach because i certainly am not. I posted several times that he was no chance of getting the job but i do think he was pushing shit uphill from day one because of the effects that the preceding years of inept coaching and man management has had on the group.

Speaking of pushing shit uphill...Good luck Anthony Griffin because mate you are going to need it.
I don't know a lot about him but ,from what i have heard in the media ,he is a ferociously hard taskmaster who excepts nothing but the best from his players and doesn't put up with mediocrity. He is pretty much the exact opposite of the coach we've had for the last seven years. I'd love to be a fly on the wall when the players come back for pre-season and the first one that steps out of line or isn't putting in, gets a rocket up the clacker. I reckon a few of them will end up in the fetal position and good...it might be exactly what this team needs. And to those players that don't like it i say " don't let the door hit you on the way out ".

I just can't emphasize enough how destructive the lack of accountability from the Board, the coach and ultimately the players has been on the club as a whole. It's everywhere throughout the club at all levels and until this changes, things will never truly change. We will continue to be laughed at in the media , seen as easy beats by other teams , as i am sure we are , and we will continue to be confined to the bottom half of the NRL ladder for the foreseeable future.

I want to see the light at the end of the tunnel but it is hard to at the moment when it comes to all aspects of this club i have supported since i was a child. I remember cheering on the Red V with my Dad for many years and he would be rolling in his grave at the moment with the state that the club is in .

I'll never stop supporting this club, it's in my blood literally. I remember being at the SFS in 1993 when we played Brisbane and even though we got beat, the pride and excitement I felt watching the red and whites take the field. And in 2010 watching from home and seeing the red and white army in the stands and the elation I felt at full time. I want to feel that again. But i just hope we start to see changes because it has been very hard to witness the demise of a club and a jersey that has meant so much to me and has so much history behind it.

Stay loyal everyone...but i know this is a silly statement because to us, their will never be another club or another jersey that could hold a candle to the might DRAGONS and the big Red V....

Banjo2014

Juniors
ACCOUNTABILITY

To all of us this is not a foreign concept ,it is part of our daily lives. From our early years as children we do the wrong thing we are disciplined by our parents, at school we misbehave or do the wrong thing we get in trouble. In business or at work, we make mistakes and their are consequences to be paid. This is just life as we all know it. But their is one place where accountability is non-existent and that is at our club.

The lack of accountability permeates throughout the joint. Whether it be the people running the club and their acceptance for sub standard operating of all aspects of the brand St.George Illawarra Dragons. Or the coaching staff, and i just don't mean the McGregor years, I mean just about every year ,excluding the Bennett era, since the joint venture was formed. And the players, who for a long time now would not know the meaning of the word accountability.

I don't want to talk about this as far as the board goes, we all know it's there, you would have to be completely stupid not to know that the people running our club are more interested in infighting between the two sides of the joint venture than making our football team and our brand the best it could possibly be. The rush to re-sign an incompetent coach because he was seen as an "Illawarra boy" is a perfect example of that.

I truly think that it would be best for the club and the brand if we were bought out by a private owner, similar to what happened with Souths. And then the board ,and their pathetic, divisive self interests could be shown the door and the day to day running of the club could be left to the new owner or whoever the new owner deems fit to move the club in the direction that is best for the brand.

Now i come to McGregor...well well well. What do you say about this bloke. For a long time i have always thought that the coach of a Rugby League team can often be unfairly criticised for poor performances, after all they aren't out there making tackles and taking the ball up like the players are but when it comes to this bloke that theory goes out the window.

McGregor, well and truly ,has the blood of the club, the players and the fans on his hands. He's drenched in it. When you talk accountability, the lack of it shown by this pretender towards the playing group over his tenure as head coach is, i believe , a huge reason why for years now we have been perennial underachievers on the field.

McGregor and his refusal to hold players to account for sub standard performances ,as far as team selection goes, really is all you need to talk about to understand why this guy is not head coach material. Best friend material yes, head coach material F**K NO. For years we have seen players who aren't performing to first grade standard continually being selected and once again instilling a zero accountability culture and an attitude that mediocrity is good enough.

We all know who these players are...we've all posted about them so i won't go into details about individuals, but i do want to make special mention of one...Corey Norman. I don't care how much salary cap this guy takes up, i couldn't care less. The fact that for two years this guy has continually put in sub standard performances with virtually no repercussions makes my blood boil. And i know their will be people who will say ''If we drop Norman who will take his place" i'd say to those people, anyone who is willing to put their body on the line and put in 100% effort , because that is something this overpaid, inept , park footballer at best , knows nothing about. To think this guy is getting Gareth Widdop's wage of 800k a year and was brought to the club to fill his shoes is laughable at best and borderline criminal at worst. And yet he continually has been selected in the side. Once again where is the accountability.

The time since McGregor was moved on and Dean Young has taken over has been an interesting one for mine. You would have to say that performances on the field have deteriorated somewhat .I know a lot of people will say it is because Dean can't coach ,and believe me i understand people wanting to eviscerate anyone that had anything to do with McGregor's tenure at the club but i look at it a little differently. I think Dean wanted to make a good impression and win as many games as possible and he probably thought making mass changes was a risk he was not willing to take because his reputation, as far as a coach goes was on the line. He was really on a hiding to nothing anyway because the rot in our team set in long before he was handed the keys five weeks ago.

I believe that a new approach from Young may have rattled a few cages amongst the players. I think he put a few of these players "on blast" for poor performances and these guys who were so used to getting cuddles and kisses from McGregor, this new approach from Dean might have been a shock to the system, and it's seen a few of these players throw the toys out of the cot and spit the dummy and it is showing in their recent performances on the field.

Cam is a classic example i believe. Look at his performance yesterday compared to McGregor's last game in charge...it's chalk and cheese. He was far from the worst player on the field but by his lofty standards you would have to say he was a little off his game. Zac is another one. He was terrific yesterday, but the last few weeks he has been underperforming and i believe this could also be from getting a rocket or two from Young about defensive issues in previous games and him not being use to that coming from a coach. Paul Vaughan was so relaxed in his attitude towards everything that he thought he could just throw Co-vid protocols out the window and go for a coffee for God's sake. And when he was disciplined, which he had to be ,by the club or whoever it was, he was so use to the softly softly approach of McGregor, his form and his attitude has totally gone out the window ever since.

I remember the look on McGregor's face when he was talking about Vaughan and his bubble breach at a press conference. He gave the impression he was disgusted with Vaughan and he would be letting him know about it. I would have loved to have seen that, i bet McGregor dealt with Vaughan by hitting him with the equivalent of a wet lettuce leaf. I really believe that Young realises that this playing group is so stained by the years of zero accountability by McGregor towards our players that he probably thinks a clean break from the club is best for him.

I don't want this to sound like i am a Dean Young supporter for head coach because i certainly am not. I posted several times that he was no chance of getting the job but i do think he was pushing shit uphill from day one because of the effects that the preceding years of inept coaching and man management has had on the group.

Speaking of pushing shit uphill...Good luck Anthony Griffin because mate you are going to need it.
I don't know a lot about him but ,from what i have heard in the media ,he is a ferociously hard taskmaster who excepts nothing but the best from his players and doesn't put up with mediocrity. He is pretty much the exact opposite of the coach we've had for the last seven years. I'd love to be a fly on the wall when the players come back for pre-season and the first one that steps out of line or isn't putting in, gets a rocket up the clacker. I reckon a few of them will end up in the fetal position and good...it might be exactly what this team needs. And to those players that don't like it i say " don't let the door hit you on the way out ".

I just can't emphasize enough how destructive the lack of accountability from the Board, the coach and ultimately the players has been on the club as a whole. It's everywhere throughout the club at all levels and until this changes, things will never truly change. We will continue to be laughed at in the media , seen as easy beats by other teams , as i am sure we are , and we will continue to be confined to the bottom half of the NRL ladder for the foreseeable future.

I want to see the light at the end of the tunnel but it is hard to at the moment when it comes to all aspects of this club i have supported since i was a child. I remember cheering on the Red V with my Dad for many years and he would be rolling in his grave at the moment with the state that the club is in .

I'll never stop supporting this club, it's in my blood literally. I remember being at the SFS in 1993 when we played Brisbane and even though we got beat, the pride and excitement I felt watching the red and whites take the field. And in 2010 watching from home and seeing the red and white army in the stands and the elation I felt at full time. I want to feel that again. But i just hope we start to see changes because it has been very hard to witness the demise of a club and a jersey that has meant so much to me and has so much history behind it.

Stay loyal everyone...but i know this is a silly statement because to us, their will never be another club or another jersey that could hold a candle to the might DRAGONS and the big Red V....
I thought Linespeed's posts were long .....
Top stuff though.
Love passionate supporters because my family are "desperado passionate" supporters

RPG437

Juniors
The real issue is a dead fish rots from the head

yes the Sharks have attracted better players and done better over the last 8 years despite their one sagas and controversies

the BOD To take a lot of responsibility
Inept individuals not up to running a multimillion dollar enterprise
2 dreadful CEOs in Doust and BJ also inept and incompetent
Now we bring Doust back to the board! FFS

the installing of inexperienced and incompetent coaches Price and Peanut
The persistence of sticking with peanut despite abysmal results and extending his contract for no valid reason at the time
A lot of this problem relates to CEO and BOD incompetence . They are the rotting head

winning 1 finals game in all that time , apparently a comment was made that they won because the didn’t stick to the game plan!

the whole last 9 years an utter disgrace

why would a gifted player or even a solid one want to join this club with Mary in charge . An absolute peanut with zero skill set and no insight

I do see some light now with Webb and Hook
Webb looks much more competent that the 2 before

if however Hook does not show results in 2 years he needs to be shown the door and not have his contract extended and prolong more pain

I am hopeful of a brighter future than the last 9 years
It shouldn’t be hard
How the f/k has Doust got onto the board? What is the process? Can someone shed some light because it is doing my head in....

Old Timer

Coach
We have several appalling late year crashes.

We don’t sack the coach and in fact extend him

We continue to decline and get a “free” review from Gould.

We take his advice and surround the dud with so called top class coaches in Flanno & Shep 1 of whom is disqualified from being a HC for 2 years due to several breaches of NRL rules.

We finally threaten to drop the coach but instead save his arse yet again.

We disempower the coach and supposedly have the 2 assistants (including the premiership winner) running the joint

We decline even further and finally sack the coach or force him to resign whichever takes your fancy but as usual with our lot not definitive.

We install the assistant of 5 or so years and even contemplate him as a head coach.

We decline even further so we finally appoint a proven coach and give him a roster in complete disarray and full of journeymen & overpaid underachievers.

We then start talking up potential signings (here we go yet again fawning over even the most ordinary players) such is the level of our despair.

I would love to know who still thinks DY is a good bloke, Gould is a legend, Flanno was a good get, Graham Fuimaono Williame Merrin Brittain Luke were good buys and that Norman & Hunt have provided good value for money and last but not least we have provided a great environment to nurture, develop and promote our most promising juniors?

All of the above beggars the question contained in the title of the thread namely

"How did we let this happen?"

This is a tragedy of the very highest magnitude and whether they be St G or Illawarra or in fact StGI aligned all the people involved should hang their heads in shame for their dereliction of duty to the club, the fans and many of the players who have had to endure this clusterf**k.

If our lot are fair dinkum there should be resignations a plenty.

hazzbeen

Bench
We have several appalling late year crashes.

We don’t sack the coach and in fact extend him

We continue to decline and get a “free” review from Gould.

We take his advice and surround the dud with so called top class coaches in Flanno & Shep 1 of whom is disqualified from being a HC for 2 years due to several breaches of NRL rules.

We finally threaten to drop the coach but instead save his arse yet again.

We disempower the coach and supposedly have the 2 assistants (including the premiership winner) running the joint

We decline even further and finally sack the coach or force him to resign whichever takes your fancy but as usual with our lot not definitive.

We install the assistant of 5 or so years and even contemplate him as a head coach.

We decline even further so we finally appoint a proven coach and give him a roster in complete disarray and full of journeymen & overpaid underachievers.

We then start talking up potential signings (here we go yet again fawning over even the most ordinary players) such is the level of our despair.

I would love to know who still thinks DY is a good bloke, Gould is a legend, Flanno was a good get, Graham Fuimaono Williame Merrin Brittain Luke were good buys and that Norman & Hunt have provided good value for money and last but not least we have provided a great environment to nurture, develop and promote our most promising juniors?

All of the above beggars the question contained in the title of the thread namely

"How did we let this happen?"

This is a tragedy of the very highest magnitude and whether they be St G or Illawarra or in fact StGI aligned all the people involved should hang their heads in shame for their dereliction of duty to the club, the fans and many of the players who have had to endure this clusterf**k.

If our lot are fair dinkum there should be resignations a plenty.
Nothing more to say ..... 7 years in a nutshell ......

possm

Coach
How the f/k has Doust got onto the board? What is the process? Can someone shed some light because it is doing my head in....
In my opinion, Doust and Craig Young were placed on the Board as part of an old boy agreement to allow the lower bidder (WIN Corp) to partner St George Leagues Club on the SGI Board.

In my opinion this is just an example of what has gone on for years.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
The Board are Solely responsible for the Mess....Hopefully we can all learn to be patient with Griffin...

He has a massive rebuild on his hands.

I feel very sorry for him- a two year deal with the third in the club's favour-not much quality, particularly in the forwards where we have such a desperate need, available here or overseas that we can recruit for 2021- De Belin's situation unresolved- Covid entering a second wave in Europe so even if we were to recruit from the ESL, ongoing uncertainty about whether they would be able or want to come. A lot of talented- but also young and inexperienced backs who will need to aim up quickly. And last, but not least- just for you Possm- a recruiter of questionable quality!