What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do Sydney League Fans travel to the footy?

How do you travel to the footy in Sydney?

• Car

Votes: 14 40.0%
  • Train

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • Bus

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Walk

Votes: 3 8.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The SFS I went to on Friday. It took me 2h 30. It's impossible to get there in reasonable time on a Friday night if you don't live within a few km of the city, it's terribly placed for public transport.

How hard is it to get a special event bus from Chalmers St?

jdizzle

Juniors

It is obviously difficult for some.

The SFS is a great stadium and is more accessible to more people in Sydney than Stadium Aust which is an absolute pain in the ass to get to by car from the city on friday nights or for big games.

Most of the people that think otherwise live out west. Funny that.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Not very and that's not my point. I'm not denying the SFS is a brilliant RL ground but it's accessibility is a major factor in people not attending. On a night like Friday with the weather a hard enough factor to work around, I drove there and as I said, departing the Central Coast it took me 2.5hrs, a journey that SHOULD take me far less time. ANZ has never taken me more than 1.5hrs. As for public transport to the SFS - not having a train at the door is a major setback in the minds of many. Fact of life, nothing to do with me, it's a general observation about how people demand more in this day and age.

The SFS is a great stadium and is more accessible to more people in Sydney than Stadium Aust which is an absolute pain in the ass to get to by car from the city on friday nights or for big games.

So, Souths fans and that's it? The fan bases of all the other clubs who are tenants of that ground need not use Parramatta or Victoria Rd AT ALL. The Bulldogs fans, most Tigers and Eels fans travel from the West or inner West and the best access for Saints fans is over the M5 East and up the Metroad 3.

I love the fact you've mentioned in your post that ANZ is an absolute pain in the behind to get to "from Sydney"... that's not where RL's core support is in the metropolitan region.

jdizzle

Juniors
Not very and that's not my point. I'm not denying the SFS is a brilliant RL ground but it's accessibility is a major factor in people not attending. On a night like Friday with the weather a hard enough factor to work around, I drove there and as I said, departing the Central Coast it took me 2.5hrs, a journey that SHOULD take me far less time. ANZ has never taken me more than 1.5hrs. As for public transport to the SFS - not having a train at the door is a major setback in the minds of many. Fact of life, nothing to do with me, it's a general observation about how people demand more in this day and age.

So, Souths fans and that's it? The fan bases of all the other clubs who are tenants of that ground need not use Parramatta or Victoria Rd AT ALL. The Bulldogs fans, most Tigers and Eels fans travel from the West or inner West and the best access for Saints fans is over the M5 East and up the Metroad 3.

I love the fact you've mentioned in your post that ANZ is an absolute pain in the behind to get to "from Sydney"... that's not where RL's core support is in the metropolitan region.

What about away fans. Do they not count?

And I am not just talking about rugby league club games. What about SOO, RU tests, Soccer etc.

Of course those things will always draw great crowds because they are events as opposed to a weekly club game. But accessing that stadium is dog sh*t.

alien

Referee
depends where it is

anz - train
leichhardt - train to townhall then bus to balmain leagues then walk to LO
campbelltown - i can walk from my place. if its on a monday or friday i catch train from central
sfs/scg - train to central then walk. if fri or mon walk from work
parra - train then walk
newcastle - supporters bus from wests leumeah
canberra - as above

Last edited:

Monk

Referee
win: drive/walk
sfs: drive/train
anz: drive/train

sfs needs a station closer to the ground.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal

Why didn't you take the train? Would have been a lot quicker. Just train it from Gosford to Central, go out of the Elizabeth St entrance and there are special buses to take the fans up to the SFS, or you can walk, which only takes about 15 min.

SFS - public transport (train & walk/bus)
WIN Stadium - drive
Canberra Stadium - drive
ANZ Stadium - almost always drive
Brookvale Oval - drive
EnergyAustralia Stadium - drive
Interstate venues - fly & public transport
Toyota Stadium - drive
Kogarah - usually drive

Loudstrat

Coach

75% of Sydney residents live in the west. Would take you 30 mins to drive from Cronulla to Homebush. Up the Kingsway, right into Princes Hwy - follow yer nose. Don't even have to turn the wheel at the King Georges Rd intersection. Same at Roberts Rd. Same at Homebush Bay Drive. Left turn into Olympic Park.

So the massive "pain in the arse" is the energy sapping neet to turn the steering wheel twice, and move your foot from accellerator to brake everytime you see a red light.

Either stop being a sook, or move to Rouse Hill or Camden and see what REAL people have to put up with.

PART OF THE REASON I ASKED THS QUESTION:

Suncorp is basically next to Roma St Station. Would be like having the SFS at Railway Square.

Drive to Parra-it's a bitch to get to and even worse to park at. (got connections there though who let me park at their place)

anywhere else I'll catch the train.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Why didn't you take the train?

The choice not to take the train is generally regarding the post-match arrangements. I wanted to be home before midnight for various reasons, and the trains running home only leave once an hour.

In summary:
Train = 12:20am home
Car = 11:00pm home

:crazy: stuff I know.

Depends. I live in Wollongong so I can walk to the ground from my home to watch St George, takes about 3/4 of an hour. If they are playing in Sydney, I tend to drive up. Catching the train to Sydney games can be frustrating, even if the good guys are playing at Kogarah. Getting to Stadium Australia is just annoying, parking is expensive, and the trains are packed and go nowhere where I want to go.

Latest posts