What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do we stop it from happening again?

siv

First Grade
Terrible system.

So Kurt Gidley would be worth more 'points' than someone like Brett Stewart??

Steve Turner is an Origin player, currently on more points than Brett Morris??

I'll keep saying it, the real solution is a soft cap system - that's the only way to make it work!

I did not say how the points would be decided

just that "cash" should not be used to determine a "cap"

babyg

Juniors
Melbourne cheated the cap, they weren't the first and probably won't be the last but I have a simple idea how to make cheating the cap much harder in the furture. Make the players and their managers responsible.

Player A signs with a club for $250k/year for 3 years. The club sends a copy of the contract to the NRL. The NRL sends a copy back to player A. Now if the contracts are different or if the player gets paid more than their contract, they are complicit in the rort and they can be punished. Ignorance is no excuse, much like drug cheating.

Its a simple plan and it would mean players (and managers) could be individually punished via bans for cheating, which IMO would substantially reduce the likelihood of it happening again.

I like, any agreement a player signs with either club or sponsor must be sent to the NRL first by the player. The NRL can then reconcile with what the club says. Player and Manager becomes accountable. Simple.
This helps fix the lying problem but doesn't fix the underlying problems with the cap ie. loyalty and development exemptions and 3rd party rules.

Last edited:

Anna Bolic

Juniors
Instead of the players being employed by the clubs, why don't the NRL employ the players instead ( thus giving them full transparacy of each contract ). Don't the ARU and the ACB have a similar policy in place?

The clubs would still do the wheeling and dealing, come up with the roster they want, negotiate the price they want to pay, and determine how much they can afford for each player.....BUT the contract is between the player and the NRL. The NRL pays the player from the money that otherwise would've have gone to the club, and they also then can determine when the cap is exceeded as well.

If a player then happens to get a boat turn up on their doorstep one day or a Harvey Norman voucher in the mail the next, and they don't declare it, they are then held fully accountable. There is no ambiguity at all...as it would be a clear breach of their contract, and their punishment would then fit the "crime".

Thoughts / Opinions....??

Instead of the players being employed by the clubs, why don't the NRL employ the players instead ( thus giving them full transparacy of each contract ). Don't the ARU and the ACB have a similar policy in place?

The clubs would still do the wheeling and dealing, come up with the roster they want, negotiate the price they want to pay, and determine how much they can afford for each player.....BUT the contract is between the player and the NRL. The NRL pays the player from the money that otherwise would've have gone to the club, and they also then can determine when the cap is exceeded as well.

If a player then happens to get a boat turn up on their doorstep one day or a Harvey Norman voucher in the mail the next, and they don't declare it, they are then held fully accountable. There is no ambiguity at all...as it would be a clear breach of their contract, and their punishment would then fit the "crime".

it sounds good but i dont know if the players would go for it and the player managers will scream blue murder

siv

First Grade

Still doesn't stop the brown paper bag process

Jaeger's Ghost

Juniors
There's not enough money in the game to lift the cap and have all sides competitive so we need to stop knocking it and find a way to make it work.

First thing to do is to stop running the game for the benefit of the players. Put some obligations on them and their highly paid managers to supply contracts and tax returns for comparison with whats been lodged by the clubs. If they don't want to put up with "invasion of privacy" then piss them off. I'm not going to cheer on my team (the Dragons) any less because SBW/Gasnier/cutie/Folau or any of the Storm stars go overseas or to AFL or Union. So what if as Gouldclaims there are about 100 players overseas - does anyone really support their team less because of it?

So to the penalty - anybody caught knowingly breaching the rules gets banned for life -administrators, players and managers.

And if all this means we end up with thinner playing talent then so be it. Most of you seem to have drunk the Kool-aid handed out by Ribot/Fox/Ch9/News Ltd over the years that a national game full of stars is a great thing that we all must aspire to. Its not - it just that thats the model that keeps all those bastards with a vested interest employed.

Call me a troglodyte but the only thing I really care about in RL is watching my team go around and knowing they're playing on a level playing field. Everything else is just window dressing.

Loudstrat

Coach
How do you stop it? watch Inglis rot in Union as it's the only place that can match his greed. Watch millions laugh as he turns out for Argentina - Bowraville was from a country starting with A. Then watch him return as a fat slug on his knees begging for another NRL game - and let Souths sign him for match payments. Then watch him trying to get the Queen Mary onto his boat trailer, and then look for a boat ramp at Redfern.

Then you look at Hayne in comparison - and tell kids that you should never ever ever cheat, because one day Inglis could have been as famous as Jarryd Hayne.

_Johnsy

Referee
Make the players and their managers responsible.

They already are, by signing a contract, even the second contract. Ignorance is not, and never will be any type of defence in any legal sense whatsoever.

4 people from the NRL checking all the clubs books every off season before the NRL kicks off and when the NRL finishes for the year. That'll be a 3-4 month period to check all the teams.

siv

First Grade
4 people from the NRL checking all the clubs books every off season before the NRL kicks off and when the NRL finishes for the year. That'll be a 3-4 month period to check all the teams.

Yep before the season starts

And again by Aug 1 - so that cheats do not particpiate in the finals

Again 1pt lost for every $25K breach

Latest posts