What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you pick up the ball???

Simo

First Grade
Is there anyway at all to pick up the ball when the CPU puts in a grubber???

I just seem to run over it or sstand on it and 99/100 he wont pick it up and the computer comes from a mile away scoops it up, gets a kick along and if near the line will score!

Very frustrating.

It happens alot when the player drops the ball and the ref calls play on. If My controlled player is there first he cant pick it up. Its only when the CPU is controlling the closest player that he picks up the ball.

Is there a button or something i dont know???

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
NPK said:
i don't think you can pick up the ball in those circumstances.

You can, it just seems to favour the CPU at times. There seems to be several balancing mechanisms in the game that make it deliberately harder to win. This is one of them. I have scored many a try from grubbers and only today scored a length of the field try as Carney against the Roos after the ball fell to him following a dropped ball leaving nothing but clear grass ahead of him.

NPK

Bench
I mean, there isn't a button to press..you just have to run over the ball and hope he picks it up - you have no real control over it.

Simo

First Grade
NPK said:
I mean, there isn't a button to press..you just have to run over the ball and hope he picks it up - you have no real control over it.

Hmm.... A rather odd programming decison isnt it? Surely if your man is running over the ball countless times you would want him to pick it up! An unusual gaming decision, hopefully to be rectified in the sequel.

Goleel

Juniors
All games seem to have problems with this, Madden is notorious for being difficult to pick up a fumble, Rugby 2004 was absolutely pathetic in this regard, and I think league does an alright job of it. Not a good job, there are a lot of problems with it, like the attacking players getting a massive speed burst when they pick up a knock on that the ref calls play on and usually bolt through the defense to score, but its not too frustrating.

ak47

Juniors
Goleel said:
All games seem to have problems with this, Madden is notorious for being difficult to pick up a fumble,

gol

thats realistic in NFL

most fumbles i see no-one can seem to get it on first go, it always seems to bounce out and trickle away for another batch of big spastics with helmets to miss it again.

dunno what it is with NFL players and picking up lose balls

maybe the helmets
maybe the size of the blokes
maybe cause they all want it, 15 on 15 all jump on it at the same time
maybe the balls too pointy and it bounces stupidly

either way i like the madden way of recovering fumbles

Erhan

Juniors
I've put in huge kicks before the last tackle, run the race for the ball, only to run straight over it and have the CPU trailing back behind me and pick it up casually... :(

The Engineers Room

First Grade
ak47 said:
Goleel said:
All games seem to have problems with this, Madden is notorious for being difficult to pick up a fumble,

gol

thats realistic in NFL

most fumbles i see no-one can seem to get it on first go, it always seems to bounce out and trickle away for another batch of big spastics with helmets to miss it again.

dunno what it is with NFL players and picking up lose balls

maybe the helmets
maybe the size of the blokes
maybe cause they all want it, 15 on 15 all jump on it at the same time
maybe the balls too pointy and it bounces stupidly

either way i like the madden way of recovering fumbles

everytime I play Madden 02, I funmble and the defence recovers.

bulldog

Bench
It seems to me that as soon as the ball hits the ground one of the players will be flagged as the "receiver" , he is the only one to ever pick up the ball so you don't even need to try and get it . If you are controlling the "receiver" you will notice he won't respond to input for a short time while he chases down the errant ball . It sucks and should be fixed with a tonne of other bugs.

Goleel

Juniors
Yeah the NFL is a lottery for fumble recoveries, but my point about madden is that players will dive over the ball rather than pick it up, stand on top of it instead of picking it up or generally just making a spastic dive when they are the only player near the ball and missing it totally.

NPK

Bench
What annoys me is when I throw an errant offload and I run to pick up the loose ball, a computer player is running for the ball too and when my player reaches the ball, the computer player is clearly behind my player (actually a bit inside my player) so my player should pick up the ball but the computer actually picks it up. Anyone else seen this?

bulldog

Bench
Thats because he is the designated retriever , I've had the guy come from behind three human controlled players and steal my regather , it is tragic .

Erhan

Juniors
A good addition to the game could be diving on a loose ball when kicked into the in goal area both in defense and attack. This is an event that occurs at least once in every real life game and it would be neat to have this included in the next version.

RedV

Juniors
The trick is to go for the ball sprinting, then slow down just before you reach it. If your player is going too fast he will run over the ball.

bulldog

Bench
Sorry , it doesn't matter how fast you're going , I've stood still on top of the damn thing and you cannot pick it up

Latest posts