What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Far Can We Go?

Bundy Rabbit

Juniors
Firstly i would like to say that i have been one of the biggest critics of our performances over recent years but with due justification in my opinion so may i now offer my heartfelt congrats to the team and coaching staff on the fabulous job done thus far this season, you are making us proud.

One of the first objectives of a coach must be to make sure that you win all the games which you "should" win throughout the season and for the most part, we have achieved that this year.

There are many who are saying that a top four finish is where we belong however there are 3 teams ahead of us who are a step above us and it's hard to dispute that given that we have not beaten two of those sides this year and beat the other one early on in the season. To come back the way we did last night took a lot of character and guts.

So how much further can we go? I can't answer that but just let me say that i believe that we still hold an ace card.Of the four remaining teams i honestly believe that we are the only one who still has not produced our "best game" this year. Our team has demonstrated on numerous occassions this year that it is capable of ripping other teams to shreds but as soon as you begin to think we're going to win by a hundred, the cue goes back in the rack and we go into "cruise mode". If this team can ever put it's number 1 game out there and maintain it for 80 minutes, then heaven help the opposition because there is NO ONE who would beat us!

So, how can we get a performance like that? well that's for Maguire to work on, but whatever happens from here on in he must take the lions share of the thanks for what he has done with this side thus far.

Up The Mighty Rabbitohs!

Big Sam

First Grade
Is it just me or does anyone else already feel a sense of relief and accomplishment regarding our season? I know we're 160 minutes away from the 'holy grail' but I think we've been hugely successful this season and have actually overachieved.

I'm not nervous for this week's game like I was against Canberra because either way it's going to feel like a win. Yes, it would be great to play in a GF but even if we lose against the Dogs, we will have contested our first preliminary final in 23 years and given where the club was a decade ago that in itself is a major achievement.

Maybe I feel this way because I'm youngish and still have time (touch wood) to witness future premiership glory. Perhaps the older generation of supporters, for whom the premiership drought has been a few decades longer, feel differently?

Bundy Rabbit

Juniors
Is it just me or does anyone else already feel a sense of relief and accomplishment regarding our season? I know we're 160 minutes away from the 'holy grail' but I think we've been hugely successful this season and have actually overachieved.

I'm not nervous for this week's game like I was against Canberra because either way it's going to feel like a win. Yes, it would be great to play in a GF but even if we lose against the Dogs, we will have contested our first preliminary final in 23 years and given where the club was a decade ago that in itself is a major achievement.

Maybe I feel this way because I'm youngish and still have time (touch wood) to witness future premiership glory. Perhaps the older generation of supporters, for whom the premiership drought has been a few decades longer, feel differently?

Well Sam, I was around to see the grandfinals 67-71 so i've been waiting just as long as anyone. I'm not nervous about this weeks game either.If we're good enough, we'll win and like you say, we are already winners with what the team has achieved this year. Ofcourse i would dearly love to see this side go on and claim our 21st premiership, they are certainly our best since 71 and have given us older blokes a lot of inspiration this season.For what it's worth i honestly think that if we can play the next two games with the South Sydney Spirit of old, we will win. It's just a question of the players attitude at game time from here on.

All the best fellas.

innerwestrabbit

Juniors
I,m looking forward to the Game on Saturday, I would have been disappointed if we had gone out in straight sets. I just hope for a contest this weekend, win or lose I will be happy with that. But I see this game as a 50/50, with a bit of luck and we play the 80 mins with intensity a win this weekend is not beyond the team. If we make the GF we can win that as well. I don't go as far back as Bundy Rabbit, but this side is far more capable team than the sides of the late eighties.

chelseabree

Juniors
I agree- I just wanted to win ONE semi and I would be happy. I will feel much more relaxed this week and enjoy the atmosphere- that is until we are ahead by 2 with 12 minutes to go

Ziggy the God

First Grade
It was fantastic to get the win on the weekend on so many levels.

Now, we are the underdogs, and will be so for the following week if we get up.

The bookies, the experts and most will believe that we can't get up.

The pressure of being expected to win is on them, so we should just rip in and the rest will look after itself.

We have the players to do it, I have no doubt about it.

BranVan3000

Coach

I will just be happy to be there. Anything further is a fantastic bonus to a great year

Mr Spock!

Referee
Hey Bundyrabbit, are you still in Bundy?

It feels good to walk around in my rabbitohs gear up Bourbong Street.

Yeah the boys have done well.

Can't believe I've had to wait 25 years to experience a finals win and I've never seen us play in a grand final qualifier.

I can't wait for Saturday.

Mustard Keppers

Juniors
I agree Sam. What a season. My son was born in June of this year so I'd like to claim responsibility for bringing into the world souths new talisman and good luck charm! I've cut out the newspaper clipping and put in his scrapbook of the last second win over the roosters. Unforgettable memories.

While I'm happy either way I still reckon we can do the dogs.

Galeforce

Bench
Madge has done a great job , especially with the consistency week to week and also how the team is communicating with the fans/media.I think there is a relationship in this which maintains the appropriate focus.
As for expectations , well frankly this is the first year since we have had competitive players ( from 2007) that we have NOT had major injuries. We entered the finals with all our players available.

themacemaceman

Juniors
I agree Sam. What a season. My son was born in June of this year so I'd like to claim responsibility for bringing into the world souths new talisman and good luck charm! I've cut out the newspaper clipping and put in his scrapbook of the last second win over the roosters. Unforgettable memories.

While I'm happy either way I still reckon we can do the dogs.

Cheers mustard! I too have just had a baby boy born 2 weeks ago.
This is my first child and considering I was born 2 days before the bunnies last title I was hoping that my boy was the good luck charm as well and that he can be born in a bunnies premiership year just like his Dad!
He a little to young to be at the game this week but him and Mum will be at the Ibis over the road of ANZ whilst Dad is at the game.

BranVan3000

Coach
Madge has done a great job , especially with the consistency week to week and also how the team is communicating with the fans/media.I think there is a relationship in this which maintains the appropriate focus.
As for expectations , well frankly this is the first year since we have had competitive players ( from 2007) that we have NOT had major injuries. We entered the finals with all our players available.

Yet some wold say during those years that the injuries were just bad luck :roll:

Galeforce

Bench
To answer the question

ALL THE WAY

our key players are experienced and in their prime , with the exception of young Reynolds.If we cannot do it this year , then we do need some additional strike players in the backline to do it next year. This squad's time is NOW.

JetRider

Juniors
The Bulldogs are an extremely confident side who will play it out for the full eighty minutes. Souths will need to lift their concentration for the next two matches as I can not see us blowing sides off the park over the next two games. This means we will be in an arm wrestle with the dogs and if we win the next team. Over the year we have been good but we also have clocked off during games, this was also evident during the raiders game.

I have been fortunate to have seen Souths win and lose grandfinals over the years and would like nothing more than to see them win this year. Can they win? yes if they play to their full potential as a team.

2010Dragons

Bench
Q: How far can a Souths fan go?
A: Nearest bottle shop... :sarcasm:

Go the bunnies.... I hope they make the GF.
Unfortunately Melbourne should win this year.

Mustard Keppers

Juniors
Cheers mustard! I too have just had a baby boy born 2 weeks ago.
This is my first child and considering I was born 2 days before the bunnies last title I was hoping that my boy was the good luck charm as well and that he can be born in a bunnies premiership year just like his Dad!
He a little to young to be at the game this week but him and Mum will be at the Ibis over the road of ANZ whilst Dad is at the game.

Congratulations, incredible journey isn't it? Bunnies doing well is just icing!

redandgreenduck

Juniors
To answer the question

ALL THE WAY

our key players are experienced and in their prime , with the exception of young Reynolds.If we cannot do it this year , then we do need some additional strike players in the backline to do it next year. This squad's time is NOW.
^This

Zigwaa

Bench
We have the perfect platform to go all the way. We need to be at our best for 80 minutes, if we are I don't think any team can beat us.