What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How good was Offiah?

LeagueXIII

First Grade
While his front on defence wasn't the best in the game, he had the speed to pick players up in cover and did so regularly. There was no easy way through his wing for the 1990 Kangaroos for instance.

No coincidence that Offiah had been taken off injured just minutes before Ricky Stuart made the break that led to Mal Meninga's famous 2nd Test try in 1990 at Old Trafford.

Offiah was part of a top Gt Britain team that came within a whisker of beating Australia in a series for the first time since 1970.

Great player no doubt.

WireMan

Bench
Dessie Drummond was better!! :D

Nah, he was awesome.

In his prime he was a good as any winger in Aus.

Hard to compare against the older guys as the game was different.

Stagger Lee

Bench
Great winger, one of the best I saw ( I was a pom and spent every sunday watching the game in sunny Lancashire or pissy Yorkshire)

But....

Dumb and very arrogant

But again ....

Who cares about the above his record speaks for itself

Loudstrat

Coach
Best pommy winger I saw. Had a long career at the top - was a Lions incumbent for ages in that classic side with Hanley, Gregory et al.

I recall seeing a youtube vid of him scoring 8 tries against Wigan. In fact, go on youtube and check some footage of him. Then try and think of an Aussie winger who could do stuff remotely like that. Beaustead and Tingha were the closest.

Jason Robinson (the English winger) never gets much of a mention.
That's because he was sh*t.

Doug Laughton spotted him on TV playing in a 7’s comp. Chariots always had electrifying speed. He was a bit suss in defence when first came across from Union. I remember one of his first touches in the Lions Tour of 1988, instead of getting tackled, he just ran out. Chariots did improve when he got rid of those terrible Union habits. If ET didn’t just get him into touch in the first test in 1992, the Poms may have beaten us.
The stint he had with the Dragons in the early 90’s was remarkable. I think he scored a try in every game (11 games?). If a player made a break, Chariots would accelerate to the player in support and position himself in a good position to receive the ball and go over untouched.
Chariots was one of the best finishers I’ve ever seen. Terry Fahey is the best winger I've ever seen,
Your post was looking so credible until that last sentence.

Last edited:

greg

Juniors
I'm 40

No way he'd make it into my top 5. Below list is in their prime fully fit.

1. E Grothe Snr
2. Kerry Boustead
3. Wendell
4. L Corowa
5. Hazem

I know its just an oversight by yourself Johnsy but you forgot to list Chicka Ferguson!
Offiah was very good in attack, but his defence was suspect at times.

There's a game on Youtube where he scored 10 tries against Leeds. Ridiculous. He was very fast but the main reason he scored so many was the way he followed the ball. He coulf sniff out a try, as they say. Have a look at some of the tries he scored and he had to do a lot of work to score them sometimes. It'd be different today against better defences but he'd probably still be a useful winger now. Although the attitude of coaches and trainers now would esnure he was bulked up in he gym to the point where he'd lose his pace and be injured all the time.

Mr Fourex

Bench
Very good player yeah, his greatest asset was his pace. IMHO thats almost the only real asset he had, blinding speed. if he was 1/2 way through a gap or in the clear 9 times out of 10 he'd score. Similar to ken irvine (outstanding finisher).

Offiah he was ok in positional play, average in defence.

But the best winger you have seen? Seriously. Out of curiosity how old are you ?

Tackled like a girl........VERY suss under the high ball

But yeah

He could run.......

Maybe in the top 20.........no where near top 5, let alone the best winger EVER

I'm 40

No way he'd make it into my top 5. Below list is in their prime fully fit.

1. E Grothe Snr
2. Kerry Boustead
3. Wendell
4. L Corowa
5. Hazem

I'd like to throw Israel Folau in

as well as;

Terry Fahey
Steve Morris
Lote Tuqiri
Matt Sing
Matt Rogers
Ettingshausen ???

Last edited:

anjado

Juniors
Martin Offiah is clearly one of the best wingers of the past 20 years, Hazem El Masri better than Offiah what a load of sh*t El Masri was a poor man's Jason Robinson. Just because El Masri was phenomenal goal kicker doesn't mean sh*t. Im not saying El Masri was a bad player but he wasn't fit to lace Offiah's boots. Before El Masri started kicking goals he wouldn't of even been one of the best 5 wingers in the NRL.

Offiah is the 3rd leading try scorer in the history of Rugby League. He scored 34 tries in 38 tests also. He scored 9 tries in 12 matches for Easts in 1989 when Easts were a poor side and 11 tries in 14 games for St George in 1991 when they were a boring side.

If he stayed in Australia after 1989 people would rate him far more. In 1992 he was superb in the World 7's he was the best player in the tournament by a mile scoring 4 tries in the final. People might say it was only 7's but he was the best player in the tournament by a mile and teams took the 1992 sevens seriously everyone picked a full strength squad.

He was superb on the lions tour in 1992 too also, I think he was over the hill after 1994. But in his prime he was superb especially in the 1992 ashes series and only Blacklock comes close in the past 20 years as far as being just a natural try scorer but Offiah was better than Blacklock.

People should also remember the Wigan side that Offiah played for was as good as any side in Australia. They beat Penrith in the World Club Challenge, They went 1-1 with Brisbane winning in Australia. They pushed Australia in the 1994 Kangaroo Tour in a game which was regarded as the unofficial 4th test. Wigan only really gained true ascendancy once they signed Offiah from Widnes who were basically equals with Wigan until that point in time.

It's a true shame we never got Canberra 1994 vs Wigan 1994 it would of made a fantastic game but unfortunately the Super League war ruined that.

Really Offiah is a true great of the game and constantly scored tries yes his defence wasn't the best but as i said he is the 3rd leading try scorer in the history of the game. He proved himself on the international stage, He proved himself in Australia and obviously he did in England the guy was a fantastic player and one of the best wingers to ever play the game.

Noa

First Grade
Martin Offiah is clearly one of the best wingers of the past 20 years, Hazem El Masri better than Offiah what a load of sh*t El Masri was a poor man's Jason Robinson. Just because El Masri was phenomenal goal kicker doesn't mean sh*t. Im not saying El Masri was a bad player but he wasn't fit to lace Offiah's boots. Before El Masri started kicking goals he wouldn't of even been one of the best 5 wingers in the NRL.

Offiah is the 3rd leading try scorer in the history of Rugby League. He scored 34 tries in 38 tests also. He scored 9 tries in 12 matches for Easts in 1989 when Easts were a poor side and 11 tries in 14 games for St George in 1991 when they were a boring side.

If he stayed in Australia after 1989 people would rate him far more. In 1992 he was superb in the World 7's he was the best player in the tournament by a mile scoring 4 tries in the final. People might say it was only 7's but he was the best player in the tournament by a mile and teams took the 1992 sevens seriously everyone picked a full strength squad.

He was superb on the lions tour in 1992 too also, I think he was over the hill after 1994. But in his prime he was superb especially in the 1992 ashes series and only Blacklock comes close in the past 20 years as far as being just a natural try scorer but Offiah was better than Blacklock.

People should also remember the Wigan side that Offiah played for was as good as any side in Australia. They beat Penrith in the World Club Challenge, They went 1-1 with Brisbane winning in Australia. They pushed Australia in the 1994 Kangaroo Tour in a game which was regarded as the unofficial 4th test. Wigan only really gained true ascendancy once they signed Offiah from Widnes who were basically equals with Wigan until that point in time.

It's a true shame we never got Canberra 1994 vs Wigan 1994 it would of made a fantastic game but unfortunately the Super League war ruined that.

Really Offiah is a true great of the game and constantly scored tries yes his defence wasn't the best but as i said he is the 3rd leading try scorer in the history of the game. He proved himself on the international stage, He proved himself in Australia and obviously he did in England the guy was a fantastic player and one of the best wingers to ever play the game.
/thread

Danish

Referee
Seriously, at what stage did the PC switch get flicked with Haz turning him from what he was (the Jason Taylor of wingers, or basically Daryl Halligan) to some demi-god of football?

beave

Coach
Matt Sing is still the best winger I have ever seen, I'm 31 so I barely remember grothe Snr and the others from that era back so i don't really have a lot of time up compared to the more seasoned posters. Club bias aside (he wasn't up here that long anyway) i can't think of a more complete winger that could attack and defend like him. And he had no bullsh*t in his game.......... Actually I lie, I remember he was pretty cheeky to Andrew Gee when he tapped the ball wrong from a 20m restart which gave the roosters the game via the penalty kick. But Andrew Gee is a merkin so it doesn't count......... :)

Perth Red

Post Whore
My top 5 would be (started watching RL in 1980 and mostly in UK, Unfortuntely I only got to watch Clive Sullivan in his last year and I was too young to appreciate it!) based on enjoying watching them play as much as talent.
1. Offiah
2. Robinson
3. Sailor
4. Vainikolo
5. Blacklock