What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How is Anthony Mundine not considered racist?

mxlegend99

Referee
Indigenous players, it's time to take a stand: back Timana and boycott Origin
ANTHONY MUNDINE

June 13, 2010

Indigenous players and other coloured players in the NSW and Queensland teams should boycott Wednesday night's State of Origin in support of Timana Tahu. Racism is still a big problem in rugby league and Australian society in general and it is beyond time that something was done.
Timana has taken a stand and I applaud him for his courage. So would every other player of indigenous or Polynesian heritage, and any good-willed Australian.
But Timana needs to see their support and any coloured boy who has played State of Origin should speak out about this issue. Unless the league takes some action, all indigenous players and coloured players should stand down from Origin II. This has gone on for far too long.
If Joey has to be sacked and anyone who has supported him has to be stood down, any good-willed Australian would support that because they know that what has happened is wrong.
When Joey said something offensive about Greg Inglis, he also offended Timana and every Aborigine.
But the oppressor is still in his job and the person who has been oppressed has been forced to leave the team. How does that work?
When I was playing I said there was racism in rugby league. I have talked about this forever, I said it all through my football career and nothing has changed. It happens time and time again and this is another prime example at the highest level. If nothing is done now, then nothing will change.
It is basically just indoctrinated into the Australian culture and it is passed on from generation to generation. The system still allows it and that's why there is racism.
Being indigenous, we have always been made to feel like we are inferior and the whites are superior. It is still that way in society but it is just not spoken about.
There is no education. No policies have been introduced in schools or in sport or in our culture to prevent that. We aren't made to feel that we are equal so we are always up against it. We have got to play two or three times better than everyone else to get picked in representative teams. We're constantly fighting for equality.
But it takes a brave man to stand up against it and that is why I am so supportive of Timana. It takes a lot of manhood to stand up and fight injustice the way he has done, not just for this generation but for the generations to come.
Source

He's always playing the race card. Everything that anyone does is somehow racist... and it's getting old. How is playing the race card not being racist? He's the one who thinks race is the issue when it's not.

How is Anthony Mundine referring to white people as "the whites" any less racist then anything others have said? He's slandering white people here. He's lumped them all into one group and called them "the whites".

He claims the NSW State of Origin team is racist. Yet he was picked for that team 3 times. If race was an issue, he never would have been picked. The fact is that he was an overrated player (by himself mostly) and that other players that were available were better. Race wasn't an issue, but he had to play the victim and make it about race.

He's claiming that NSW overlook Nathan Merritt because of his race/skin color, yet this year alone we've had the likes of Jamal Idris, Timana Tahu and Tom Learoyd-Larhs selected in the team. If race was an issue, these blokes wouldn't have been picked. Seriously, Nathan Merritt is only ignored because of his size. NSW selectors have some obsession with picking a backline full of players that are hulks and weight in at 100kg+.

mxlegend99

Referee
Also... this isn't to defend Andrew Johns comments. I don't consider him to be racist on them, but he was certainly out of line in the way he was talking and deserved to lose his position in the NSW team.

I'm just sick of the way Mundine jumps on any little thing and tries to blow it up into something massive and racist.

Danish

Referee
Mundine isn't considered racist because, frankly, he just is flat out not considered

matt

Juniors
He has a fight coming up doesnt he,don't play into this poor individual hands,go and watch the grass grow or similar,much more substance than biting on this fellows bait.

nqcowboy87

Bench
mundine is a rascist, he talks all the time about aboriginal people being inferior to white people and how theyre ttrodden upon. and some see that and use that as an excsused for their shortcomings. however look at people like matt bowen, david peachy, cathy freeman, deborah mailman, jess mauboy, erni dingo, the ella brothers, stan grant (cnn Journo), rachel perkins (director), kyle vander kuyp, niel wilmett i could go on but being aboriginal doesnt stop you from achieving things. listening to this fool who consistently refers to his race as a second class citizen does, its not the 1940''s anymore mundine

Ike E Bear

Juniors
Mundine is clearly interested in promoting himself above all else.

There are little kernels of truth in some of what he says, but the importance of those facts is completely lost in the circus that is his public life.

It's a shame.

MundineBurnsUnionJack.jpg

Thats Mundine about to burn the Union Jack..
answer your question?
Racist for sure

typicalfan

Coach
Remember what Mundine said about Cathy Freeman?

Mundine walks the fine line between right and wrong all the time, it is his way to get his name in the spotlight. It is all a game.

I don't even know if he believes all of what he says personally. Nor do I care.

Raider_69

Post Whore
mundine is a rascist, he talks all the time about aboriginal people being inferior to white people and how theyre ttrodden upon. and some see that and use that as an excsused for their shortcomings. however look at people like matt bowen, david peachy, cathy freeman, deborah mailman, jess mauboy, erni dingo, the ella brothers, stan grant (cnn Journo), rachel perkins (director), kyle vander kuyp, niel wilmett i could go on but being aboriginal doesnt stop you from achieving things. listening to this fool who consistently refers to his race as a second class citizen does, its not the 1940''s anymore mundine

Or ruben from breakers

*two points for the reference*

BDH

Juniors
Considering racism is a form of prejudice and Mundine is a homophobe who also has issues with Jewish people, I wouldn't waste my time listening to a single thing the man has ever said.

hellteam

First Grade
Aboriginals in Australia can not be racist. Here's why, couldn't be bothered explaining it myself so I'll quote from this website.

http://wcco.com/goodquestion/minorities.racist.scotus.2.1028871.html

In the classic definition of the term, "a component of racism is power," according to Dr. Jane Rhodes, Dean for the study of Race and Ethnicity at Macalaster College in St. Paul, Minn.

"It is not enough to be intolerant of someone or dislike them, you need the ability to oppress them or control them by denying them housing or employment," said Rhodes.

"People in the minority (e.g., people who are not in the privileged/empowered class) can absolutely be prejudiced, but they do not have the "system" to work to their advantage the way it does for the privileged class. So there is no such thing as reverse racism."

"It's not only economic privilege. You have privilege by the color of your skin," she said. "One of the things that economists have demonstrated is that racial privilege for whites is accrued over many, many generations."

That article says that minorities can be 'prejudice' against other races but it's not necessarily 'racism'. There's obviously a lot of arguments for and against this, but I believe its true that minorities can not be racist, thus Mundine can not be considered racist.

hellteam

First Grade

Mate, that statement is so wrong it's not funny.