What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How is Anthony Mundine not considered racist?

applesauce

Bench
I did, I don't agree with that definition. It has nothing about 'power' in it.

Just because African Americans are better at sport in the USA (if you say so), that doesn't give them power over anything (except Sport). Who cares?

Education much?

Main Entry: power
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: control, dominance
Synonyms: ascendancy, authority, authorization, birthright, clout, command, connection, diadem, direction, domination, dominion, hegemony, imperium, influence, inside track, jurisdiction, law, leadership, license, management, might, moxie*, omnipotence, paramountcy, predominance, prerogative, prestige, privilege, regency, right, rule, say-so, sovereignty, steam, strength, strings, superiority, supremacy, sway, warrant, weight*, wire
Antonyms: inefficiency, subservience, surrender, weakness, yielding

Mate, I live in New York for 8years, where black kids "own" a basketball court but have no power in their country (USA) they attack any white kids playing on it/with them. If that isn't racisit i don't know what is.

I'm saying in AUSTRALIA, ABORIGINALS can't be racist. You need to have POWER to be able to be racist, which the Indigenous population doesn't have.

Going by you logic as well Aboriginal Australians cannont be racisit towards Italians, Americans, New Zealanders etc?

Racisim is a 2 way street and it can manifest itself in many ways. An Aboriginal might not have any power in your eyes but in his own (Anthony Mundine) he can think he is gods gift. Racisim can be directed at any race by any other race, it doesn't have to be justified for it to occur.

Last edited:

DeeJ

Bench
There's so many different definitions for racism that it's not funny.

But I'm not saying that black people around the world can't be racist. I'm saying in AUSTRALIA, ABORIGINALS can't be racist. You need to have POWER to be able to be racist, which the Indigenous population doesn't have. In Zimbabwe, the black population are in power.

I don't know why you bothered to make points about sport or music (maths? huh?), it's pretty irrelevant to be honest.

Whoever is in power or is the majority is irrelevant. I give you an example, at a club a while ago a friend of mine (white) was by himself while four men of islander decent (the club is very popular with polynesian people) surrounded him and told him "To get out of here white boy"

But because he is white and they are islander that is not a racist action by your logic?

Eels Dude

Coach
Aboriginals can't be rascist? What a load of rubbish. All these definitions of power etc are just dictionary terms. Nobody needs a definition of rascism to know what it means. It's simple, if you discriminate or say derogatory things about another based on their race or skin colour it's rascism. If an Aboriginal calls a lebanese person a greasy raghead that's no different to a white person calling a lebanese person a greasy raghead.

hellteam

First Grade
Whatever hey, I guess all my Indigenous Justice lecturers at university are wrong, as are the dozens, hundreds even of authors who have written scholarly articles on the topic after years of research.

You guys are all right, Aboriginals in Australia aren't disadvantaged at all, they're just racist to white people. They get stuff for free, therefore they're just whinging and it's actually us white Australians that get it tough.

nqcowboy87

Bench
With all due respect, they are given EVERY opportunity to succeed in Australia much the same way as everyone else (except everyone else does not get it for free). Unfortunately they don't make the most of their opportunities. But I agree that they continue to be discriminated, much like everyone else who isn't white unless you live in Bankstown where you are discriminated because you're white.

exactly in some cases like in remote nt townships and the like theres not much opportunity and generations of apathy riddled into their psyche because of the poor treatment they recived initially from the anglo saxons. but having grown up in north queensland my whole life i have known of aboriginals who have been lawyers, accountants, business owners, police officers, doctors and ive also known some white people who are lazy layabout dole bludgers, who drink all day and sponge off the hard working, so they are no different to you or i, they just need to realise that themselves

DeeJ

Bench
Whatever hey, I guess all my Indigenous Justice lecturers at university are wrong, as are the dozens, hundreds even of authors who have written scholarly articles on the topic after years of research.

You guys are all right, Aboriginals in Australia aren't disadvantaged at all, they're just racist to white people. They get stuff for free, therefore they're just whinging and it's actually us white Australians that get it tough.

No, you're just misinterpreting what they are teaching you.

Eels Dude

Coach

That's just being naive and missing the point. You don't need a university lecturer to tell you what racism means. You don't need years of research to determine what's rascist and what isn't. Anyone that needs that must be extremely thick.

This isn't about being disadvantaged or anything like that. That is completely off topic and has nothing to do with rascism at all. The fact stands that Aboriginals, Islanders, Middle easterners can all be rascist if they look down and act derogitorally towards others based on their skin colour and their heritiage. Aboriginals whingeing about being disadvantaged compared to the European Australians is not rascism but that's not the point and I can't understand why that's being brought up at all in thread.

Rusty

Juniors
With all due respect, are you suggesting indigenous people have the same access to healthcare and education that mainstream Australians have? If a race of people is decimated and oppressed for 200 years it takes more than some centrelink payments to get them back on equal footing with their oppressors.

Who the f**k would go anywhere near Bankstown??

Are you kidding me? Of course they do. They have access to education at NO COST!!!! They have access to health care at NO COST!!! All the rest of us have to pay for these things....
You cannot blame the rest of us when they choose to not get a job and wait for Centrelink payments. Because it happens, I witness it all the time or when they are given a home only to burn the inside of the place. White Australians cannot be blamed for this sh*t anymore because it would be a thorough injustice...

Last edited:

Eels Dude

Coach
I'm just trying to explain why Anthony Mundine is not considered racist, like the OP asked.

You're also stating that Aboriginals CANNOT be rascist when that is false. Deej is correct when saying you're misinterpreting what your lecturers are teaching you. They're not teaching you that Indigenous people cannot be rascist in general, more teaching you that complaining about what they've suffered through in the past at the hands of whites and their current disadvantages in society is not rascist specifically.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I am a white Australian.

I have been racially INSULTED before but I have never faced real racism especially from an Indigenous Australian because they make up like 5% of the Australian population and on a whole hold no real power in Australian society. So of course ANYONE can be racist. If they believe that certain racial groups are better than others. It is just how much power in society do these white hating people have.

Outside of being beaten by a gang of enraged minority groups I struggle to think of any way I could be impacted by racism.

no name

Coach
Are you kidding me? Of course they do. They have access to education at NO COST!!!! They have access to health care at NO COST!!! All the rest of us have to pay for these things....
You cannot blame a the rest of us when they choose to not get a job and wait for Centrelink payments. Because it happens, I witness it all the time or when they are given and home only to burn the inside of the place. White Australians cannot be blamed for this sh*t anymore because it would be a thorough injustice...

Luckily all those upstanding white folk have jobs to keep the country running.

Moron

hellteam

First Grade
You're also stating that Aboriginals CANNOT be rascist when that is false. Deej is correct when saying you're misinterpreting what your lecturers are teaching you. They're not teaching you that Indigenous people cannot be rascist in general, more teaching you that complaining about what they've suffered through in the past at the hands of whites and their current disadvantages in society is not rascist specifically.

I know what they're teaching me. I know that's part of it, but racism isn't simply just hating a person of a different race. Obviously you think it is, but it's part of a system of power that has been going on for generations, in this case - Aboriginals and European Australia.

I'm not going to argue any more - have a search on the internet about it if you want, there is so much information that agrees with what I am saying. But of course, there is also information that doesn't agree, but if you take some time to read about what 'racism' really is you might see where I'm coming from.

BDH

Juniors
hellteam;

Spend some time at Sir David Longlands (assuming you are white) and then tell me that Aborigines can't be racist.

Aborigines have had a tough hand dealt to them, nobody is disputing this, but to say ANY race can't be racist to another race is ludicrous.

fuggitt

Juniors
hahaha...this from the bloke who said that everyone who died on 9/11 deserved it coz they werent living in 12th century persia....oops sorry muslim...slip of the brain there..!!

fuggitt

Juniors
"Originally Posted by hellteam
Whatever hey, I guess all my Indigenous Justice lecturers at university are wrong, as are the dozens, hundreds even of authors who have written scholarly articles on the topic after years of research. "

hahahaha...you doin comedy at uni mate???
or your doin what most arts graduates are doin at uni?
wastin our money and fudgeing an already pickled brain....
Indiginous Justice Lecturers..pull the other one...it plays tutorials on Derrida..
dckhead!!