What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long before ...

girvie

Staff member
I was wondering how long do you think it will be before a player of full Asian or full African heritage plays NRL.

Also i was wondering who was the first player of Pacific Island heritage to play top grade rugby league? Or have they been playing since 1908?

c_eagle

Juniors
John Mbu plays for the Harlequins. He's from the Congo iirc.

You'd have to search deep in the archives to find the first player of pacific islander origin. I'm guessing that the first All Gold tour of GB had at least one Islander.

Smiley

Bench
He might get a run during Origin 2007. We lose some of our regular fill in year, Minto, Anderson. Saying that we do have boyd, micheals, simpson, moon, Kemp all ahead of him.

bjm8

Juniors
Would you call Russia Asia or Eastern Europe? Ian Rubin.

But i see your point, your looking for Japanese, Chinese etc.

I know its the wrong game, but i remember Richard Chee Quee running around for NSW in the sheffield shield. First player of full chinese heritage to play first class cricket. Maybe Rugby League will have one one day. What about the comedian who just made that movie?

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Next time there's a test in Sydney, the Kangaroos should train out at Cabramatta, that'll fast forward the process.

Some of viet heritage have been here for 3 generations now, thus the diet and nutrition would have a few big enough, anglo's need to send a message not only are Aussies of asian heritage welcome, but sought after in attending games.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Chan Ly running around in the JB cup

They used to have Denis Bendall who has Chinese background, played for Balmain in the 70s.

I think Gideon from the Broncos feeder club would get a run next year, depending on form and injuries. As mentioned before most likely Origin.

Angry_eel

First Grade
Kurt Angle said:
Next time there's a test in Sydney, the Kangaroos should train out at Cabramatta, that'll fast forward the process.

Some of viet heritage have been here for 3 generations now, thus the diet and nutrition would have a few big enough, anglo's need to send a message not only are Aussies of asian heritage welcome, but sought after in attending games.
Play RL from an early age bulks you p even if it doesn't make you taller. We had a asian kid at our school who played halfback. I always thought leon bott was philo but he's not.

Focal Point

Juniors
PJ Marshal said:
alex chan was a pretty awesome asian

True, but isn't he a mix of Asian & Kiwi?

Craig Wing is a mixture of Filipino & Aussie.

Hopefully it wont be long until a full-blooded Asian or African player cracks first grade. I know there's a few Filipino & Chinese junior players running around in the Parra & Penrith junior comps.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
I think Chan was more kiwi.

I remember Norths had a hooker in their reserve grade team who was of Korean origin. He was always talked about as going to get into firsts one day but never did (that I'm aware of). Strange given how often the first team choked...

Kurt's got the right idea. if clubs and the NRL in general were to promote the game in places which generally have had little interest ion sport than they may be able to open up a new fanbase.

Whislt I never want clubs to be ethno-centric like soccer, i love the fact that the bulldogs club has embraced the lebanese community and the community likewise (now if we can just get the dickheads to f**k off).

If the NRL can show other cultures which havent really experienced rugby league what it's like and get them involved we'll have a larger fanbase and in time we'll see players from other cultures playing NRL down the trackl

Latest posts