What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many chances does Martyn have?

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Martyns average against India this test series was about 42. Nothing wrong with that.
Sometimes it is worth sticking with bats even through bad patches, just look at Hayden for example.

cheese

Bench
granted that he performed against some good sides last year ...especially the world cup final.

BUT, of those 878 runs, im sure a fairly large portion were scored against minnows .......the world cup is full of flebs.......So IMO, his average of 58 isnt a "true" indication of his current form, or skill.

Anonymous

Juniors
Thats not a bad point cheese, although I love it to be more than true, thinking back I don't think he scored many runs against the minnows :?

wittyz chick

Coach
Earl said:
Thats not a bad point cheese, although I love it to be more than true, thinking back I don't think he scored many runs against the minnows :?
i dont think he PLAYED against the minnows

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
wittyz chick said:
Earl said:
i dont think he PLAYED against the minnows
Correct, he still had a boo boo on his finger.

Martyn scored 178 runs against the minnow nations (I include Zimbabwe and Bangladesh in this list). The rest he scored against the likes of Sri Lanka, England, New Zealand & India.

I wouldn't be dropping him yet over one dud innings especially when he has an average of over 40 in ODIs.

Alan Shore

First Grade
I can understand people wanting Martyn to stay in the ODI team, but there's no way he can remain in the Test team. He's played to many pathetic innings, never converted a start and others are more worthy.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Gooooooooone again after a start, trying to pick up the pace - something not suited to his style.
I am still tipping him to dropped from the one dayers and moved to 5 in the test team.
I know there are convincing arguements to say otherwise, but I believe this is what the selectors will do.
Bevan @ 7 is just a plain stupid idea IMO.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Bevo listed @ 7 played @ 6.
I also noticed Bevo 'protecting' his average in the last 2 games. - Sarcasm intended

Alan Shore

First Grade
Martyn is far more effective at no.6. When he was there before being elevated, he actually scored centuries and played well. Do you think the finger injury is hampering his performance?

Parra_Eels

Bench
are u crazy katich already has a spot. i think martin love was extremely harsh. he gets a century then he gets dropped next test.

Anonymous

Juniors
I think he is talking about a One Day spot :lol:

Oh and it was great to see Martyn get a start today. He hasn't been abe to do that all summer :roll:

knights04

Bench
:lol: Only Martyn could get out to G.Flower. The selectors unfortunately won't be dropping him considering everyone failed to go past their potential today. I don't agree with Bevan ahead of Clarke.

zulu

Juniors
Maroubra Eel said:
Martyns average against India this test series was about 42. Nothing wrong with that.
Sometimes it is worth sticking with bats even through bad patches, just look at Hayden for example.

Martyn's average against India this year is better than Clarke's for NSW and we want to crucify Martyn.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
put the averages aside for a minute. Martyn is a crap player of the pitched up deliberies, he has few strong shots off the front foot. He's a great player square of the wicket, but not straight.

Clarke should replace Steve Waugh, Bevan in for Martyn. Bracken to never play for Asutralia again either, he is too slow and can hardly swing the ball at all. I'd put Kasprowicz way above Bracken.

Martyn needs to be dumped, I don't care if his average is 60 or 6. He is not a consistent performer at all.

Anonymous

Juniors
:lol: I didn't expect that at all from you madunit. And your pretty muchright except for who your replacing those players with.

Doctor

Bench
Up the mighty Phins said:
Damien Martyn scored 878 runs at an average of 58.53 in ODIs last year. Overall, he has an average of 42.53.

They won't be dropping him yet with those figures.

Indeed.

So IMO, his average of 58 isnt a "true" indication of his current form, or skill

So the fact that Hayden (39), Ponting (46), Symonds (43) , Lehmann (51), Gilchrist (37) all scored at lower averages than Martyn in the same time period against the same 'minnows' (even though Martyn missed more minnow matches than the others) means that you will be calling for all them to be sacked too? Sounds reasonable given that you're suggesting an average of 58 in a calendar year is by no means acceptable against the same opposition that others averaged in the 30s and 40s against.

You talk about Martyn being consistent - where is the consistency in your arguments people??