What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many of you...

Notaleaver

Juniors
...have never played a league game for a club or school before?

i personally have never actually played a game of league outside of the occasional backyard game with a few mates, but ive never played for a club or even for P.E at school. (my teacher tried to get me to tryout in primary school but my mates all played soccer so i didnt play)

this made it difficult for me to pick up the game and understand it as quickly as id imagine if youd properly played it. (i started properly watching in about 2004 when i was 11 and properly understood it a few years later).

so has anyone else never played an organised game of league before?

Parra

Referee
...have never played a league game for a club or school before?

i personally have never actually played a game of league outside of the occasional backyard game with a few mates, but ive never played for a club or even for P.E at school. (my teacher tried to get me to tryout in primary school but my mates all played soccer so i didnt play)

this made it difficult for me to pick up the game and understand it as quickly as id imagine if youd properly played it. (i started properly watching in about 2004 when i was 11 and properly understood it a few years later).

so has anyone else never played an organised game of league before?

You are not too old to have a run now.

Big Pete

Referee
Playing League gives you a whole other perspective and sense of appreciation of what some of these players are capable of in first grade.

I only played in primary and a couple of games in Year 11 when I tried playing both League and Union. League is by far the toughest sport I've played and I might try and get back into it next year for Uni.

HowHigh

Coach
And yeah, 18 isn't too old by any means to start.
Have a look around for local comps, go watch a couple of games and see if you'd like to give it a try. The lower grade teams are usually just about playing the game they enjoy and having fun and fitness, don't need to be a superstar to play.

Red Bear

Referee
played 8's, 11's, 12's, 16's then in year 11 and 12 at school. Had a bit of speed (although not that much) and usually got put on the wing, I was an awful winger, really really shit. Played some decent games at fullback, on rare occasion. Played hooker at school and a bit of dummy half in under 11's/12's as well. My delivery wasnt great from dummy half but I was a reasonable defender when I was in the middle of the field (but pathetic out wide) and could usually grab ten metres from dummy half, especially in school footy.

But im 168 cm and 62Kg's at my heaviest, so i'm not exactly a rugby league body anyway. Stick to soccer, cricket and running these days, although starting to get that itch for some form of footy again, might find an oztag team or something.

AuDragon

Juniors
Played soccer all my youth and barely knew about this great game until I came to Australia.
My 16 y/o plays League at club and school level, and I'm projecting on him now... :lol:

I do get involved with his club training and games, but never played an actual RL game. My try conversion rate would be pretty high though! :p

Last edited:

boxhead

First Grade
You are not too old to have a run now.

:lol::lol::lol:

I've never played anything more than a few park-footy games, still, it didn't take me long at all to understand the dynamics of the game. I can understand football pretty easily too, but rugby union is a complete mind-f**k.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Playing League gives you a whole other perspective and sense of appreciation of what some of these players are capable of in first grade.

I only played in primary and a couple of games in Year 11 when I tried playing both League and Union. League is by far the toughest sport I've played and I might try and get back into it next year for Uni.

Iv played a few sports. League is the most fun and definately my favourite. But there is one sport (other then combat sports) that I will say is tougher and that Ice Hockey.

Play a game of that against a few Canadians and its like being bashed with knife wounds.

AuDragon

Juniors
:lol::lol::lol:

I've never played anything more than a few park-footy games, still, it didn't take me long at all to understand the dynamics of the game. I can understand football pretty easily too, but rugby union is a complete mind-f**k.
Word!

azsportza

Live Update Team
Just add a sidenote, how many have given refereeing a proper go, it gives you another whole new view on the game of rugby league.

Big Pete

Referee
Iv played a few sports. League is the most fun and definately my favourite. But there is one sport (other then combat sports) that I will say is tougher and that Ice Hockey.

Play a game of that against a few Canadians and its like being bashed with knife wounds.

:lol: you're probably right - can't say ice hockey was ever on the agenda but watching a few games it looks absolutely brutal. Heard some horror stories as well that were certainly eye openers.

koal4e

Juniors
I played league and union, started off with union at 12 years of age and by 18 was playing league and union. Played for Leicester Lions at rugby (previously Westleigh rugby club) and trained with Leicester Phoenix (now Leicester Storm) at League.

Stopped playing when I hit 20/21 because of work commitments getting in the way and moved to weightlifting instead....wish I still played Rugby but I have a back injury (prolapsed disc) which stops me getting back into it.

Ive never thought about being a ref though...thats food for thought!

little_aza

Juniors
I've had many a dream to play the beautiful game; but alas, at 21 years of age, 5' 3" and 59kg (hence the username), I don't think my chance will come up any time soon...

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
i haven't, and f**k you if you think having played some arsey country league makes you more qualified to comment on the game.

Latest posts