What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many of you...

Raider_69

Post Whore
I was a hooker/half and tragically had a very promising career taken from me by knee injuries and a lack of talent.

Apey

Staff member
Only ever played for the primary school team once or twice. Couldn't tackle for shit at the time though ironically enough when we used to play at recess and lunch a lot at high-school it became my strength.

My family are mad rugby league followers but have always been soccer players. It would be hard to say I regret it - I did love playing soccer. I do wish my mum had got me into playing Rugby League rather than soccer. It's kind of a shame because I reckon I would have been alright at it, probably would have been better at Rugby League than soccer. Unfortunately I'm 20 now and way out of shape so it's past me.

RABK

Referee
Was a Hooker, as i loved defending in the middle but was made to look like a goose by any speedster when defending outwide. Played against, with and knew various south coast originated NRL talent. Made national and state knockouts with my high school league and rugby sides and always loved playing but was never going to earn a living off it though but i was a handy player. From memory Hutty1986 from these forums might have played a season or two with our high school team, hutty?

Anyone else have a lot of players they are suprised never made NRL/Super Rugby? I played with/against some bloody good players who dominated jnr reps yet never made it. I knew one guy who once belted a young LOD in a fight when he was playing for Milton, 95 kgs and ran a 11.5 second 100m at 16 and gave the game up to work for his dads business... lol

I played until 16 but when I was younger I was always a really skinny, light kid but because I was also short it didn't seem to matter. I could still tackle well and do the basics okay. But when I got older I shot up. I was about 182cm and only about 55kg (at the most) and I found it really hard. You can adapt your game to some extent but at the end of the day if you haven't got the size or you're the wrong body type it's a big hurdle. It might be okay if you are particularly quick, athletic or strong but I wasn't. I wish I could play now because knowing what I know now about the game it would be good to add that knowledge and experience on the field. But even now I'm not that much bigger, totally unfit and couldn't play due to work anyway. As others have said, the OP should consider having a go if he wants to. I know that if I was 18 again I would try and find a way of playing again, even if it was at the lowest level possible.

Loudstrat

Coach
I played but I was rubbish.
Yeah? How many games did you play for Souths?

I played a handful of games at school. I was told I played like a test player. Terry Randall in attack and John Gibbs in defence.....

PLaying the game definitely gives you an advantage in PLAYING the game - for example if I need to tackle a 105k forward. Commenting on the game - no.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Has anyone ever played against famous RL players?

My claim to fame is i used to play backyard footy with Steve Turner who was my cousin's best mate when they were 10.
Also played against hayne in a knock out comp, his team flogged us, he scored about 5 tries, a few of them straight through me :lol:

Last edited:

H.H

Juniors
Took it up at 18 and would've made it if I was bigger, stronger, faster, tougher and had a better step.....;-)

Seriously tough game and it always gives me perpective when I think about criticising players these days.

I played for Paddo Tigers in the Easts Comp in the 80's....only blokes from my grade who made it to 1st grade were Brett Gillard, Colin Ward and David Webber....most of you would only have heard of Ward.

My brother is 3 years younger and played the likes of Bryan Fletcher, Tyran Smith, Paul Mellor, Duncan McRae among others.

Parra

Referee
Refereeing and coaching juniors gives you a good understanding of the game.

Even volunteering to run the sideline makes you look at a game differently.

Nerd

Bench
Played a few years at primary school and 4-5 years in my 20's.

Used to play touch in the off season and came up against a team once with a few Bronco fringe first graders (mid 90's).

One was a second rower (who's name now eludes me) and who looked pedestrian on TV but was very quick.

Gave me a real appreciation of how fast the speed men must really be.

Rodent

Bench
I played 4 seasons when I was a little fella. Played with Noel Goldthorpe and Steve Mavin who both went on to play a lot of first grade.

Fingerbang

Bench

My claim to fame is i used to play backyard footy with Steve Turner who was my cousin's best mate when they were 10.
Also played against hayne in a knock out comp, his team flogged us, he scored about 5 tries, a few of them straight through me :lol:
Biggest names for me were.....with Craig Young / Slippery Morris, and against Steve Mortimer.

innsaneink

Referee

Showing my age here, played against Mick neil and my cuz regulalry opposed Scott Gale.
Most people I know have or do play league, being still involved in my sons teams as trainer helps there.
His old coach played with Sterlo & Price, and my boss played for parra as well as most workmates playeing junior reps for wests parra & norhts
RL is on topic most of the time for me

jonno_knights

Juniors

Tariq Sims, Mitch Rein and Beau Henry were all in my age division, so played against them numerous times.

Of the three, Tariq was probably the third best of that lot at junior level (not saying he was bad, but since moving to the broncos he has improved out of sight).

Timbo

Staff member
My dad played 1st grade union and sent me to a union school, so I never really had a choice. Played union from U6s to U17s and buggered my neck pretty badly in a scrum collapse in what would have been my final game of schoolboy union.

Had planned on continuing to play footy but was unsure what kind of footy I was going to play. Will never know now!

Fingerbang

Bench
Tariq Sims, Mitch Rein and Beau Henry were all in my age division, so played against them numerous times.

Of the three, Tariq was probably the third best of that lot at junior level (not saying he was bad, but since moving to the broncos he has improved out of sight).
Sims Gerringong, Rein Kiama, Henry Warilla....which group 7 team did you play with?

Oh, and if I remember correctly....Tariq played wing for the Lions, didn't he?

Beachy Eagle

Juniors
played about 10 years Grade in QLd, coached juniors for a few years was lucky enough to be involved with a young Jonathon Thurston, and coached against John lang when Martin was a junior at easts in brisbane.
Did some reffing along the way and spent a year as a Treasurer of a Jumior club.

Years ago played A grade touch in the winters and played against a side that had Shane & Chris walker, Lote Tuqiri and 2 junior Bronco's (we drew 2 all) and then they beat us in the finals 3-2 in drop off.
Am too old and unfit now, but would give anything for 1 more season, I dream about it during the NRL season!!!

Latest posts