What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How much credit can Gus Gould take for Penrith’s great season?

Maddragon99

Juniors
With not much Dragons news around at the moment I was thinking about the Grand Final this weekend.

Win or lose Penrith have had a phenomenal season 10th in 2019 to benchmark in 2020.

Got me wondering how much credit can Gould still take?

A) The team is stacked with local talent who came through Gould’s Centre of Excellence

B) At the time sacking Griffin & stealing Cleary away from the Tigers was very controversial. Particularly given that Gould had previously sacked Cleary.

C) The only key appointment that I don’t think Gould could take credit for was the appointment of Barrett as assistant attacking coach.

Was the Gould’s constant meddling the problem? Now the coach & players have clean air are they playing better without him?

Personally I think Penrith are better off without him. I feel sorry for Nathan Brown & the Warriors.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
If Gould takes any credit then so should Griffin seeing he gave a lot of those guys first grade experience.

Funny how Griffin left Bronco's and they make the GF the next year only to lose. He then leaves Penrith only for them to make the GF a year and a half later and possibly with the same fate as the Bronco's.

He sure knows how to prepare teams for these "Super" coaches to take over. Looks like the poor guy (Griffin) gets these teams up and the clubs don't let him finish the job instead bring someone else to get the glory.

Didn't Gould Sack Cleary for Griffin? And by the sounds of things Penrith went behind Gould's back to bring Cleary back to Penrith.

Maddragon99

Juniors
I'd say Gus did a great job setting up Penrith's junior system and pathways. But with what he did at the Dragons, he has lost all respect I had for him.

Its interesting that Penrith have blossomed since he left. Penrith have always had great juniors but it’s really clicked since he left.

Maddragon99

Juniors
If Gould takes any credit then so should Griffin seeing he gave a lot of those guys first grade experience.

Funny how Griffin left Bronco's and they make the GF the next year only to lose. He then leaves Penrith only for them to make the GF a year and a half later and possibly with the same fate as the Bronco's.

He sure knows how to prepare teams for these "Super" coaches to take over. Looks like the poor guy (Griffin) gets these teams up and the clubs don't let him finish the job instead bring someone else to get the glory.

Didn't Gould Sack Cleary for Griffin? And by the sounds of things Penrith went behind Gould's back to bring Cleary back to Penrith.

At least Griffin won’t be looking over his shoulder with us. It’ll be his team & he can run It as he wishes.

George Sancti

Juniors

Good points Slippery.

I supposes there are two ways to view Griffin's contribution. Either he prepared the teams and was not given the opportunity to reap the benefits or he prepared the teams and lacked the skills to take then to the next level. I guess we will see which is correct over the next couple of years.

BLM01

First Grade
He’ll take all the credit
he’s been acting like in the media the last half of this year as Penrith been humming along nicely that he still part of and knows everything about the current Penrith system and how they will play etc and who is doing what out there
Whilst I’m sure he knows plenty about the players etc is he really to know if they’ve made some significant changes to the way they do things since he left
Cleary was not Gus recommendation of coach after Hook and Ciraldo. No comment about that

Maddragon99

Juniors
Good points Slippery.

I supposes there are two ways to view Griffin's contribution. Either he prepared the teams and was not given the opportunity to reap the benefits or he prepared the teams and lacked the skills to take then to the next level. I guess we will see which is correct over the next couple of years.

Don’t forget Penrith were a top 4 team when he left, which leads to be give him the benefit of the doubt.

VodkaSaint

Juniors
BIG FAT 0 , they where always better without him , he sacked Cleary , he was sent packing, they brought cleary back in and woooshka , they wouldnt even have made the GF without Ivan

possm

Coach
Did Griffin have input? I think he might have had more involvement then he’s given credit for?
Griffin blooded a lot of the young talent.
You're probably correct. I think Griffin would have a lot to do with the pathways coaching supervision and Gus more involved in the buying up of country leagues Clubs and junior teams.

Latest posts