What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Much Damage has Hunt done to this Club

Illusion

Bench
Hear what you are saying but his form has been poor even when our pack doesnt get smoked. The reason he is leading try assists is because of his ball hogging possession, he has not once shown the capacity to drag the team out of a hole or at the very least change the momentum of a game. He is way past being an elite anything.
X2 ....... Exactly this .........

matPORTS

Juniors
The losses we've had this year have been hard to swallow, because the team in other games have shown they can do way better.

Yesterday was the type of game where we were thrown back in the trenches early under heavy fire. This is where we needed our generals to step up and come up with a solution. Number one general being Hunt. Unfortunately, it was a massive fail.

The realities of the road going into 2025 and beyond are very simple.

Hunt needs to step up in games like yesterday and take full responsibility (and that includes leading the other generals around him - luckily we will have Cookie coming in to take some pressure off but Sloan & K Flanno will also have some responsibility to burden as well).

Yes, I don't know whether I've seen Hunt lead us out of a game where we have been up against it (whether it's a come back win or regaining some level of respectability on the scoreboard). At the very least we could probably count the occasions on one hand. In 2024, I have been in the camp of being patient (been working to an expectation that we might have got around 9 or 10 wins at a stretch - we are just about there). Performances like yesterday aren't going to be acceptable in 2025 - we need to be putting in more respectable performances against the regular mainstay finals teams of the last 5-7 years. This needs your leadership group to be on song every game, and the burden of making sure this happens is firmly on the captain.

Equally, Hunt (and Cookie) will be on borrowed time. Who will be there replacements for 2027 and beyond? For those wanting to release Hunt now (and I do get the frustration), who is replacing? I'd rather have Hunt (hopefully playing behind a couple of veteran props) than a rookie half for 2025/2026.

since77

Juniors
I don't know whether I've seen Hunt lead us out of a game where we have been up against it (whether it's a come back win or regaining some level of respectability on the scoreboard).
Nope it's never happened with Hunt.
I can remember games when Widdop & Hornby both stepped up as a captain but Hunt kicks the occasional 40/20 and thinks he's done his job. He's never played a true "captain's knock".

Hunt has been f***ing us and laughing all the way to the bank since 2018.
He plays for himself and his rep career.
I never rated him, never wanted us to sign him and have pretty much made up my mind not to watch us again until he is gone.
He is a blight. I almost wish he would lose it and do a Linnane or a Hoogerwerf and get himself suspended for 12 months.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
If Lomax is supposedly bad for culture then what is Hunt?

Always chucking tantrums at other players for a mistake (often not their fault) but making plenty of very basic errors himself.

To think he will be still here doing the same old thing in 2025 and potentially 2026 is sad enough but seeing posters in here defending him and thinking that this old dog is going to learn new tricks is even sadder.

TruSaint

Referee
Nope it's never happened with Hunt.
I can remember games when Widdop & Hornby both stepped up as a captain but Hunt kicks the occasional 40/20 and thinks he's done his job. He's never played a true "captain's knock".

The guy is the definition of flat track bully.

Im sick of seeing the stats on try assists. When you handle the ball more than anyone else, make every call, kick every time, the stats will make you look like an immortal. Its WHEN not how often.

Like you I cannot recall a single game when we are struggling or behind, and he has Changed the game. Soward did, Widdop did, Hornby did, even fricken Piggy Riddell. Mundine v Sharks prelim 99. Barto in 96 v Canberra. Big games, big moments.

Not just Captains, but crucial players.

Ben Hunt is a good player, currently playing for a Club he doesn't want to be at, and in the wrong position. I stand by what i said during the game yesterday. I hope Flanno does not chose this, the hill to die on.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
The best games Hunt has had the last few years are at SOO as hooker and he has stepped up and changed games but only as hooker playing of good halves. Hunt is an excellent 9 and a good 7. I would rather the excellent 9. Now that Saints signed Cook and Liddle playing as well as he is, that ship has sailed for 2025.

People are scared if we lose Hunt that there is nobody out there to replace him with. Well guys like Atkinson, Wishart, Sexton, Strange, etc seem to be doing ok for their handful of games at 7 in the NRL. Saints should not have that fear as there are youngsters that may not be as good as Hunt initially but will get there and certainly play with more enthusiasm and not drop their bundle each time Saints fall behind by a couple of tries. I am pretty sure Saints have not re-signed him yet as they did say they would be talking about it after SOO and I have not heard anything since SOO.

chewbacca

Juniors
The best games Hunt has had the last few years are at SOO as hooker and he has stepped up and changed games but only as hooker playing of good halves. Hunt is an excellent 9 and a good 7. I would rather the excellent 9. Now that Saints signed Cook and Liddle playing as well as he is, that ship has sailed for 2025.

People are scared if we lose Hunt that there is nobody out there to replace him with. Well guys like Atkinson, Wishart, Sexton, Strange, etc seem to be doing ok for their handful of games at 7 in the NRL. Saints should not have that fear as there are youngsters that may not be as good as Hunt initially but will get there and certainly play with more enthusiasm and not drop their bundle each time Saints fall behind by a couple of tries. I am pretty sure Saints have not re-signed him yet as they did say they would be talking about it after SOO and I have not heard anything since SOO.
We have a 100% win record for when isn't playing this year. Just sayin'......

Latest posts