What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How often and how much do you weigh?

Tommy Smith

Referee
Been doing the book from the dude who trains Chris Hemsworth. Have dropped down to 74kgs. It’s been a great cut routine tbh.
Awesome work.

I spent about 4 months cutting at the end of last year and I got my weight down from about 84kg to 72-73kg. No calorie counting or specific dietary techniques; just eating less and specifically less carbs.

It's bloody hard work but it's amazing how much more fat you carry than you realise.

The goal was to lose all of my belly fat - which I've almost done though there's some left over which may actually be just loose skin given I started at about 100kg.

But beyond the belly fat I've lost a lot more from my shoudlers, back, legs and ass lol

I'm also now 18 months post knee op so I can squat much better now, too.

I tried my best to maintain my strength over the cut but doing so takes its toll. So over the holiday period I didn't put on weight but I did lose strength which sucks but felt almost unavoidable. I was never strong to begin with (never been strong on the compound lifts) but now I'm only benching 70kg for 4x8. Though I don't BB bench often as prefer dips and DB bench.

Anyway I'm not too fussed about the strength loss as it's easy to regain. I'm happy to just relax a bit at my current weight now - and I'm evrn tempted to divert into calisthenics - but eventually I'll go on a 4-6 month bulking phase to try and get back up to the 84-86kg range; only this time it'll hopefully be muscle and not fat.

The constant goal setting and diversification has been great fun and ensured that I've kept at it.

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
I’m the opposite to most of you Guys, I was always super skinny. I’m 5’9 and when I was 23 weighed 50kgs.

I got sick of it and started researching how to put on weight/muscle. I started on mass gainer shakes and bought a weight bench. I jumped up to 55kgs nearly immediately but took about 9 months to get to 60kgs. I then joined a gym with a mate, got upto 65kgs after about a year but platued for years and years.

I’ve slowly gotten bigger. I’m now 36 and 73kgs with 12% BF which I’m pretty happy at. I range anywhere from 70-75kgs but BF can blow out to 17-18%.

I’m lucky that I enjoy hitting the gym and doing cardio, it never feels like a chore. My wife and I are both very healthy eaters which obviously helps a lot.

However it doesn’t take much to go back to being that skinny guy. When I was 30 I went to Europe for 6 weeks and lost 7 kgs! Whereas other people put on weight when they go away I lose it and quickly. I’m guessing because I’m not going to the gym, eating as much protein as I normally do and do a lot more walking.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
43, 181cm, 107kg. Maybe weight myself eery week or two. Had a shoulder reconstruction early last year which completely killed my fitness and consequently put on about 5 extra kg though I was already a bit of a porker, my fit weight is more around 90kg or a little under that.

A year on not too much has changed- started back at the gym recently though and I’m down to 104 kg. Going to the US for a holiday mid year so need to get back to double figures before then because I’ll inevi chuck on a few kts with a month of American portions!

myrrh ken

First Grade
I’m the opposite to most of you Guys, I was always super skinny. I’m 5’9 and when I was 23 weighed 50kgs.

I got sick of it and started researching how to put on weight/muscle. I started on mass gainer shakes and bought a weight bench. I jumped up to 55kgs nearly immediately but took about 9 months to get to 60kgs. I then joined a gym with a mate, got upto 65kgs after about a year but platued for years and years.

I’ve slowly gotten bigger. I’m now 36 and 73kgs with 12% BF which I’m pretty happy at. I range anywhere from 70-75kgs but BF can blow out to 17-18%.

I’m lucky that I enjoy hitting the gym and doing cardio, it never feels like a chore. My wife and I are both very healthy eaters which obviously helps a lot.

However it doesn’t take much to go back to being that skinny guy. When I was 30 I went to Europe for 6 weeks and lost 7 kgs! Whereas other people put on weight when they go away I lose it and quickly. I’m guessing because I’m not going to the gym, eating as much protein as I normally do and do a lot more walking.

50kgs? jaysus. Well done on the gains.

Been doing weights in the gym 4 times a week for the last 6 months. Was hoping to drop from 74kegs but have put on about 4kegs.

My body has changed shape a lot though so i'm not too concerned. I've stopped looking at weight as any indicator of fitness. One thing I've noticed is I'm always running hot and sweating a lot more which is annoying.

Iafeta

Referee

Mate even what you say is blowing out BF wise is fine. 12% though is great going.

I am the same in some ways as you. When I moved to Australia I weighed 58kg. And same as you, when I travel I generally do a lot of walking so generally I drop a few kegs when travelling too.

The weight is great too. I watch a bit of American Ninja Warrior because those people are phenomenal athletes and most of the more agile competitors would be fairly similar weights and if your BF is low you are still going to look fairly legit.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Mate even what you say is blowing out BF wise is fine. 12% though is great going.

I am the same in some ways as you. When I moved to Australia I weighed 58kg. And same as you, when I travel I generally do a lot of walking so generally I drop a few kegs when travelling too.

The weight is great too. I watch a bit of American Ninja Warrior because those people are phenomenal athletes and most of the more agile competitors would be fairly similar weights and if your BF is low you are still going to look fairly legit.

Yeah 17-18% BF doesn’t really worry me however I do like the definition I have now. I think cause Most of my life I’ve been slim as soon as I get a bit of a gut/flab it freaks me out

bileduct

Coach
97kg @ 186cm.

I used to overeat quite a lot during my heavy dope smoking days. Ballooned up to 126kg at my worst, though that was about 15 years ago. I usually peak at around 115kg now.

I walk for just over 2 hours a day (first thing in the morning, then after dinner), completely cut out refined and processed carbohydrates (except for dark chocolate) and eat lots of protein and fat (in the form of nuts). No sugary drinks, no crapdonalds, no "low fat" food full of sugar.

I used to weigh myself every day but now I hardly bother at all. I found I would get discouraged if I wasn't losing weight or even putting little amounts back on. I find belt holes are a better indicator of where you're at it.

I'm happy to keep my exercise to walking until I reach my desired weight (85-90kg), otherwise I tend to go too hard and injure myself and it all comes to a screeching halt.
Holy shit... I had a really miserable time last year with some family issues and realising I no longer wanted to work in my field of expertise after over 20 years. My weight ballooned up to 120kgs at the end of the year as a result of stress and comfort eating. They opened up a 24 hour Hungry Jacks within walking distance which did most of the damage. Sleeping patterns were disrupted because of my astrophotography hobby which I invested a lot of time in and I found myself getting burgers and onion rings at 2am when I wasn't even hungry. It just became a habit.

Around Christmas time I realised I didn't fit into 90% of my t-shirts anymore, and the few that I did were tight as f**k. Decided then it was time to cut out the shit and drop the weight again.

From January 1 up until now I've dropped 25.5kgs, weighing in at 94.5kg today which is the lightest I've been in about 10 years. I don't know if the weight came off that fast because I put it on quite rapidly, but all I did to lose it was go for a brisk walk for at least an hour every day without fail and limit myself to 1500 calories a day. Trying to buy the right kind of food was a real pain in the ass at first so I just went on a Lite n' Easy eating plan which is all delivered every Tuesday. On 1500 cals I was hungry for about 2 days and then got used to it and never experience hunger anymore.

One thing that did surprise me was that the Lite n' Easy plans are relatively high in carbs compared to other diets I've been on before. Some of the portions seem quite small at first but they are still satisfying and you start to realise how easy it is to overeat a lot of the time.

I've got just over 8kgs to go before I'm back to a healthy BMI, and my ultimate goal now is around 75-80kgs at which point I'll start hitting the gym to tone up. I'm loving fitting back into all my best clothes.

Game_Breaker

Coach
Holy shit... I had a really miserable time last year with some family issues and realising I no longer wanted to work in my field of expertise after over 20 years. My weight ballooned up to 120kgs at the end of the year as a result of stress and comfort eating. They opened up a 24 hour Hungry Jacks within walking distance which did most of the damage. Sleeping patterns were disrupted because of my astrophotography hobby which I invested a lot of time in and I found myself getting burgers and onion rings at 2am when I wasn't even hungry. It just became a habit.

Around Christmas time I realised I didn't fit into 90% of my t-shirts anymore, and the few that I did were tight as f**k. Decided then it was time to cut out the shit and drop the weight again.

From January 1 up until now I've dropped 25.5kgs, weighing in at 94.5kg today which is the lightest I've been in about 10 years. I don't know if the weight came off that fast because I put it on quite rapidly, but all I did to lose it was go for a brisk walk for at least an hour every day without fail and limit myself to 1500 calories a day. Trying to buy the right kind of food was a real pain in the ass at first so I just went on a Lite n' Easy eating plan which is all delivered every Tuesday. On 1500 cals I was hungry for about 2 days and then got used to it and never experience hunger anymore.

One thing that did surprise me was that the Lite n' Easy plans are relatively high in carbs compared to other diets I've been on before. Some of the portions seem quite small at first but they are still satisfying and you start to realise how easy it is to overeat a lot of the time.

I've got just over 8kgs to go before I'm back to a healthy BMI, and my ultimate goal now is around 75-80kgs at which point I'll start hitting the gym to tone up. I'm loving fitting back into all my best clothes.

1500Kcals is very low, even for someone at 70kgs
You can increase your calorie intake and still lose weight.

Because 1500Kcals isn't sustainable in the long term, you'll just gain some weight back once you do increase your calories at a more 'normal' level

bileduct

Coach
1500Kcals is very low, even for someone at 70kgs
You can increase your calorie intake and still lose weight.

Because 1500Kcals isn't sustainable in the long term, you'll just gain some weight back once you do increase your calories at a more 'normal' level
Yeah 1500 seemed low at first, but I thought I'd give it a try before the 1800 plan. My experience so far has been that I have no issues with hunger whatsoever, no tiredness, no dizziness or lack of concentration, and the weight is coming off fast. I've had to supplement the 1500 plan every day with a bowl of broccoli and zucchini as well as a punnet of raspberries for the dietary fiber, which is otherwise too low.

I've been in this position before where I cut my food intake and up the exercise, but I would always go a bit too hard, injure myself, go completely off the rails and get back into bad habits with the weight going straight back on.

I plan on ramping up as I get closer to my goals, 2000 at first for a bit, then 2500 when I'm there, and a bit higher once I get back into the gym. I always knew there'd be a bit of weight gain involved with that, but as long as I stick to my plan I'm sure it will only be a tiny fraction of the amount of fat I've lost.

Life's Good

Coach

Well done.
Healthy body, healthy mind. Keep up the good work.

myrrh ken

First Grade

good work mate.

Geez youre going to drop to 75 80 and then tone? That sounds pretty low for 189. I guess it all depends on your build and what you know your body is like.

I find bmi pretty shit for me as im relatively short and stocky.

You plug in the rocks stats and his bmi says obese.

bileduct

Coach
good work mate.

Geez youre going to drop to 75 80 and then tone? That sounds pretty low for 189. I guess it all depends on your build and what you know your body is like.

I remember being around 80kgs back in my late teens/early 20's when I did a lot of track & field with lots of gym training, so I'm using that as a rule of thumb for my body type.

In the past I've found restrictive eating (and low carb) for weight loss combined with high intensity exercise of any type to be counterproductive for me. I always end up getting really intense hunger and binge out, or my body gets tired/injured and the whole plan goes off the rails. So I'm just concentrating on losing the fat first which is working pretty well so far with only minimal exercise. Almost three months in and I haven't gone off plan once. No hunger at all. Not a single binge day, not a single cheat meal and drinking only water (4L) every day.

The first week of weight loss was huge as you would expect, but after that it was around 2kg a week down to about 1.3kg a week now. I haven't plateaued once. 23cm has come off the gut in that time and I've got about 8cm to go.

Last edited:

Life's Good

Coach
good work mate.

Spot on with the BMI inference. To me it seems like a load of BS. I'm just on 180cms & weigh around the 85kg mark. I took a BMI test as part of a life insurance assessment and was told I was overweight by about 15kgs. Technically(or by some other form)it may be overweight but I'd need to cut a leg off to lose he weight.

bileduct

Coach
Just specifically regarding weight loss, there's plenty of different advice going around regarding calorie deficit vs. low carb diets. Check out the Joe Rogan podcast yesterday which turned into a total shitshow as proponents of either method faced off against each other.

Personally, I have found that both diets work for me, but it all comes down to convenience and willpower. Calorie deficit diets are much easier in terms of planning, preparation, cooking time, etc., because something like Lite N' Easy or its variants eliminates all of that effort entirely. Low carb diets can be a real pain in the ass because they are the exact opposite of that.

bileduct

Coach
Spot on with the BMI inference. To me it seems like a load of BS. I'm just on 180cms & weigh around the 85kg mark. I took a BMI test as part of a life insurance assessment and was told I was overweight by about 15kgs. Technically(or by some other form)it may be overweight but I'd need to cut a leg off to lose he weight.
I'm using BMI as a milestone more than anything else. My GP also uses it during checkups, so if it shuts her up that's a good thing.

bileduct

Coach
Weighed in under 90kgs today for the first time in about 20 years. Gut measurement is the smallest it's been in about that entire time too.

I went back to work this week after almost 4 months off and got told I was looking 20 years younger!

T-Boon

Coach

I just looked up on google what I am supposed to be in terms of BMI and I totally agree it is garbage.
It must assume no muscle.

T-Boon

Coach
Weighed in under 90kgs today for the first time in about 20 years. Gut measurement is the smallest it's been in about that entire time too.

I went back to work this week after almost 4 months off and got told I was looking 20 years younger!

I've had similar experiences last couple months, but most importantly I feel a lot better. I long ago stopped caring what I look like but the mental and physical improvements are priceless.
Also you save a lot of money when you don't eat three massive meals a day plus nibblies.

bileduct

Coach
Weighed in at 84.75kgs this morning with a 92cm waistline, exceeding the goal I'd set over a year ago before it all went to shit. The scales are telling me I still have 20% body fat which seems about right as there's still a bit of gut flab.

Since January 1 I've lost over just over 35kgs and 31cm of gut.

Turns out I'm shorter than I thought I was. Measured in at only 183cm instead of 186cm. I must have shrunk a bit or was wearing shoes the last time I was measured. This means I'm still about 1kg away from having a BMI under 25. Based on the height I thought I was I reached it at 86.2kgs, at which point I decided to measure myself properly only to end up disappointed when realising I still had a bit to go.

Yeah, yeah, I know BMI doesn't mean much. It was just a long term goal I set for myself without really knowing how much I'd have to lose to get back to being happy with my body shape.

Life's Good

Coach
Weighed in at 84.75kgs this morning with a 92cm waistline, exceeding the goal I'd set over a year ago before it all went to shit. The scales are telling me I still have 20% body fat which seems about right as there's still a bit of gut flab.

Since January 1 I've lost over just over 35kgs and 31cm of gut.

Turns out I'm shorter than I thought I was. Measured in at only 183cm instead of 186cm. I must have shrunk a bit or was wearing shoes the last time I was measured. This means I'm still about 1kg away from having a BMI under 25. Based on the height I thought I was I reached it at 86.2kgs, at which point I decided to measure myself properly only to end up disappointed when realising I still had a bit to go.

Yeah, yeah, I know BMI doesn't mean much. It was just a long term goal I set for myself without really knowing how much I'd have to lose to get back to being happy with my body shape.

What an achievement. Well done.

Your Raiders forward pack has shed weight too (Boyd & Paulo)and it’s done wonders for them.